This is a subject I'm a little unsure on, how much amp wattage would I need to play a small/medium size gig? I know for a tube I wouldnt need as much wattage as a solid state, but for both what wattage would be suitable?
There is no right or wrong answer.. Most if not all Gigs will have a PA system. So you can go with .25 watts to 300 watts to no watts and plug straight into the board. Get the amp and tone you like then talk to the sound guy and get it worked out..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
There is no right or wrong answer.. Most if not all Gigs will have a PA system. So you can go with .25 watts to 300 watts to no watts and plug straight into the board. Get the amp and tone you like then talk to the sound guy and get it worked out..

This, though practice spaces often don't have PAs and I'm betting that will be your next question, so for getting over drums unmiced; I'd say 15-30 watt minimum for tube, depending on genre, and probably 30-50 watts for SS, again depending on genre.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
This, though practice spaces often don't have PAs and I'm betting that will be your next question, so for getting over drums unmiced; I'd say 15-30 watt minimum for tube, depending on genre, and probably 30-50 watts for SS, again depending on genre.

Actually I hadnt even thought about getting over the drums, but as of now the band I'm in in playing rhythm guitar through my 65w bass amp as now so that hasnt been an issue. Since I've been playing guitar alot more than bass lately I figured it would be in my best interest to get a guitar amp. As far a genre I play, it would be considered stoner/hard/sludge rock so the bass amp has been sufficing but I just cant seem get the tones I want out of it.

I've been considering getting a 30w Vypyr, would this be a good choice?
Its all those places that don't have a house PA that you need to cover. To play alongside an average drummer, I'd say 50w SS or 25w Tube. But the more you have, within reason, the better you are likely to sound and the less strain on expensive gear. I have used my 50w SS in all types, from small pubs to dedicated music clubs with house PA. I only use my big rig for open air or large places where a little 1x12 combo would get lost. Remember, its a good idea to hear yourself, too.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Remember, its a good idea to hear yourself, too.

People forget this all too much around here. Even if you are miced into the PA well, if they don't have decent monitors for everyone you may not hear yourself. Having an amp loud enough to act as your monitor can be very useful.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
ok well I have another question, could I plug a guitar head in my 1x12 bass cab, and it work well?