Let's say you want to engage a fuzz pedal, delay, and wah all at the same time, let's say that is your lead tone. Instead of engaging each one at a time in a rush when its time for your lead, you would have all of them on, but in the loop, then you would hit the loop pedal and it would include them in the signal. Basically it keeps the pedals in it out of the signal path when off, and in when on.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
The effects loop comes between the PreAmp and the PowerAmp.

Generally speaking (there is no right or wrong answer to this question).

Mudulating effects like Delay Chorus Flange Phaser work better in the effects loop because it's after the PreAmp.

Why?

The preamp is where the Tone (bass, mid, treb) and Overdrive is created.
So if you put say a Chorus pedal Before the Preamp, then the preamp is adding tone and overdrive to a signal that already is modulated by the chorus pedal.

If you put the chorus pedal in the effects loop, then the tone and overdrive is added to a clean signal, then the chorus is added.

Again, generally speaking, it sounds better that way.
But definately not WRONG to not use the effects loop.
It's all personal preference.

Experiment with it, put different pedals in the effects loop, then take them out.
You should definately hear a difference.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by tubetime86
Let's say you want to engage a fuzz pedal, delay, and wah all at the same time, let's say that is your lead tone. Instead of engaging each one at a time in a rush when its time for your lead, you would have all of them on, but in the loop, then you would hit the loop pedal and it would include them in the signal. Basically it keeps the pedals in it out of the signal path when off, and in when on.

That's just not quite right.

Not all amps with an effects loop have a switch to turn it on or off.
In fact, I'd bet that most don't.
so you can't turn all pedals in the loop on or off with a single switch.

You could probably rig a True Bypass Switch into your pedal board to do that though...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
That's just not quite right.

Not all amps with an effects loop have a switch to turn it on or off.
In fact, I'd bet that most don't.
so you can't turn all pedals in the loop on or off with a single switch.

You could probably rig a True Bypass Switch into your pedal board to do that though...

He said effects loop pedal, not effects loop. There are pedals that do exactly what I described, I dunno if that's what he is talking about but it best fits his description; "effects loop pedal."
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I belive ts is talking about a loop pedal, not an effects loop in general.

It's also useful if you're using a pedal with a very bad buffer, or if you have a long chain of pedals.
Quote by tubetime86

I use an old DOD FX30B in this way to isolate a bunch of noisy tone sucking when off modulation pedals- chorus, flanger, phasor, etc...

http://www.americaspedal.net/fx30b/
Last edited by irnmadn88 at Aug 3, 2009,