Rhythm guitarist in my band is looking for a new amp. He's playing a Jackson Dk2 through a Boss Metal Zone (his choice not mine). He plays punk/metal/hardcore mainly, so any suggestions?

Price range is around £150 (though can stretch to around £250 if strictly necessary). Not necessarily looking for volume, just something with a nice tone, valves if possible. It's also likely there'll be more pedals added to the chain, so extra effects (ie a Roland Cube) aren't all that necessary.

Any help appreciated.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Aug 3, 2009,
With that price range he isn't going to get anything spectacular. He needs to save up 300-500 and then start shopping. No use blowing 150 on something he won't be happy with when he can add a little to it and get something nice.
Quote by Matt420740
With that price range he isn't going to get anything spectacular. He needs to save up 300-500 and then start shopping. No use blowing 150 on something he won't be happy with when he can add a little to it and get something nice.

yeah, this man is absolutely right. maybe he could also get a more efficient distortion pedal while hes waiting for the money.
^Preaching to the choir.

Anything at all? I mean he's currently playing through like some piece of **** trainee amp. No ****ing idea who the brand is, it's fairly terrible.

You think maybe an Orange solid state (if no-one can think of a cheap valve amp)would work? He really just needs something to be getting on with.

Long as it's not a Marshall MG/Spider...[buh-dum-tsh]
Quote by Matt420740

+infinity. no truer words have ever been spoken.

EDIT: also, basically all orange amps that are worth it are expensive. do some research.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Last edited by TK1 at Aug 3, 2009,
^Well aren't the small crush amps only around £200?

Anyway, another idea. Found some small Fender and Epiphone valve amps for around £100, but they have like...no tone controls, it's basically a speaker.

Think it'd be worth buying a small valve amp, and then an EQ pedal with the remaining cash? He's played bass for years so he has basic EQ experience.

EDIT: There's a chance he can stretch to around £250, but the closer to the £150 mark the better.
Last edited by Heavens_To_Hell at Aug 3, 2009,
Save your money. Barring an amazing craigslist (or whatever craigslist is in Britain), you can't really get a good giggable amp for less then £250.
^It's not so much for gigging, more just to get by. Both me and the bassist have better amps, but we cant transport them there every practice, so he needs something.
tell him to craigslist it or used.
i found a really good marshall amp for 120 bucks.(it was like 700 bucks)
u just have to get lucky.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Heavens_To_Hell
^It's not so much for gigging, more just to get by. Both me and the bassist have better amps, but we cant transport them there every practice, so he needs something.

Put up with the inconvenience of having to lug an extra amp to practice for a while longer so he can save more money and buy something that's actually worth spending money on. It benefits all of you in the long run for him to wait a bit longer to get something better.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Look on Craigslist or E-bay and you might find something decent for 150-200 dollars. Gallien Krueger made some great solid state amps back in the day. The ML250 and the RL250. Chuck Schuldiner used one in Death for a while. They go for around $200 used. If he could get his hands on one of thoses he would probably be happy.

Here's a link - http://cgi.ebay.com/Gallien-Krueger-250-ML-Guitar-Amp-from-the-80s_W0QQitemZ250473874990QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5168062e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

If he is determined on a tube amp, I am getting ready to start selling a boutique high gain tube amp. It will go for around $325-$400.

Here is a link for that - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1158541