Check eBay and Gumtree. You can get stuff used like the SM57 for a decent price on there.

USB so you don't need any extra hardware. Lets you plug in two instruments, and it's a studio condenser mic too. Also comes with stand and Sonar recording software, which is damn good. A great piece of kit for $130, I find myself recommending it all the time.
Quote by Mark G
save up for an sm57, best mic around budget or otherwise.

Will people stop saying this? The SM57 is great for mic'ing a guitar cab, but there are tons of other alternatives. For a start, an SM57 is $100, and then you'd still need an interface of some sort which is another $60+. Chuck in another $10 for a mic stand and $60 for software, and it's a much worse deal than a USB mic.

The G-track above is much more versatile since you can plug in your guitar directly and use modelling software, or use the mic to record your guitar amp (though mic'ing up an amp with a condenser is very different to using a dynamic mic).
Quote by kyle62
Will people stop saying this? The SM57 is great for mic'ing a guitar cab, but there are tons of other alternatives. For a start, an SM57 is $100, and then you'd still need an interface of some sort which is another $60+. Chuck in another $10 for a mic stand and $60 for software, and it's a much worse deal than a USB mic.

The G-track above is much more versatile since you can plug in your guitar directly and use modelling software, or use the mic to record your guitar amp (though mic'ing up an amp with a condenser is very different to using a dynamic mic).

No, people most likely will not. The SM57 is the industry staple mic, the vast majority of guitar recordings made use an sm57, with some other mic to complement it. I admit your suggestion is less expensive, and more versatile, but the recording quality is inferior.

just my $.02
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Aug 4, 2009,
mxl 990 honestly isnt that bad of a mic
you can get the 990 and 991 in a combo pack for around 90-100 bucks but you need to buy a preamp or interface so you can connect it to your computer.

ide have to agree with post #8 just because it comes with sonar recording software. great stuff although its a LE version itll be better than using freeware like audacity.
Quote by kyle62

USB so you don't need any extra hardware. Lets you plug in two instruments, and it's a studio condenser mic too. Also comes with stand and Sonar recording software, which is damn good. A great piece of kit for $130, I find myself recommending it all the time.

Damn, that looks just like what I need/want. So basically, you plug and play, and the program on the disc is your interface?

And the I can upL0aDz teh CliPz0rzzz!!11!11!!!!
I don't see the big deal with microphones. Unless you're making a very, very subtle recording I don't notice any difference what so ever. I use £25 mics at gigs I promote, 0 handling noise and good quality (I've had them for about 3 years of gigging and no wear or tear).

I see a SM57 or 58 and they're battered for about 1/3 of the time. I don't see the big deal with expensive mics XD

Cheap and cheerful, unless you plan on selling your recordings to the masses.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Quote by greggybhoy
Damn, that looks just like what I need/want. So basically, you plug and play, and the program on the disc is your interface?

And the I can upL0aDz teh CliPz0rzzz!!11!11!!!!

Yup. Basically everything gets plugged into the mic, and the program on the disc is your recording software where you can mix the tracks etc.

So, for example, you could stick the mic in front of your guitar amp and plug your bass player straight into the line input, and record both at the same time. Very simple, and very versatile.

All you guys who're recommending the SM57, it may be the 'industry standard' but that doesn't make it anything special. If you're using a cheap preamp/interface it's not going to sound all that incredible, and quite frankly it's going to cost about double the price, for 1/5 of the flexibility. Can you do vocals with it? Not very well. Acoustic guitar? A condenser will be much better. A drum kit? Forget it.

For example, there's a song on my profile that was recorded at a band practice with one Samson USB mic similar top the one I'm suggesting, plugged into a cheap laptop. You can hear everything clearly - drums, vocals, guitar and bass. Try that with a dynamic mic!