I recently (May) had a house fire that destroyed just about everything in the home. My guitars (a yamaha elec and a Gibson acous) ended up being okay - our insurance took them for a couple weeks to get "professionally cleaned" aka smell of fire, any soot, etc cleaned from the guitars.

My question is this. Both guitars still have the original strings. They are practically black, from the smoke and fire. They sound fine (from what I can tell, i have no comparison) and practically kept tune through out it all. I just got them back and the pegs are darkened and the strings are still on fine - but should they be replaced just fo rthe heck of it because of going through a fire? They were probably 3 months old before the fire, and would be about 6 months old now.

Thanks.

tl;dr: My guitars went thru a fire and the strings still remain, they sound fine as far as I know but should they be replaced just because of the fire? They are black and what not..
the color id imagine would just be from soot. personally, id replace them, just in case, but there seems to be no reason to if they sound/look fine.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I'd replace them personally because they probably have carbon on the strings (from the smoke) that will color the sound. That being said, it may sound good to you in which case keep them on. It's probably not going to damage your guitar to keep them on if that's what your asking.
i dont see any problem with keeping them on except the fact they will be filthy as all hell and youll probably end up with black fingers by the time you put them down
Pissing people off since 1987

ESP/LTD MH 401 Stop tail
ESP/LTD MH 401 Floyd Rose
IBANEZ AM93 TKS
Rivera KnuckleHead Reverb
ISP Decimator
MXR KFK-1 10 Band EQ
Keep them for the story lol
"Yeah, that way I know you're an actual person and not an inanimate object...like a cup." -Cool Guy
It's just my preference, but I try to replace my guitar strings every 3-4 months. Especially my acoustic because the tone dies away.

I would imagine your fancy black strings have crappy tone (from the intense heat to moderately warm, not to mention the soot covering them) and 6 months old strings tend to have pretty dead tone.
I would change strings every 2 or 3 months (at most) anyway, so yeah, change them. I'm sorry to hear about the fire.
I would, just because the feel while sliding on the strings would feel wierd, and you may get stains on your fretboard.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I would have changed them by then even if they weren't through a fire...Maybe the fire strings will give you amazing tone though!!! haha
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
clearly change them. why would you want that stuff getting into your fretboard... the perfect breeding ground for gunk and buildup.
I dont change strings until they break, so keep them. If they sound fine, then there's no reason to waste them. Besides, surviving a house fire makes them kick-ass.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
Quote by pitobodies
I dont change strings until they break, so keep them. If they sound fine, then there's no reason to waste them. Besides, surviving a house fire makes them kick-ass.

Reason 1:

Old strings sound ****

Reason 2:

New strings don't sound ****
I just want to add that the fire was May 2nd. We were immediately moved out of the area. I JUST got my guitars back from the insurance company yesterday, so I never had a choice to restring them before now.

I'm probably going to keep it for now until I get money for guitar strings. Things are tight, but I think I'll change them. I can't tell if its a bad tone or not because Its been 3 months since I've played and I have no other guitar at the moment to compare it to.
Quote by chuckmehh
I would have changed them by then even if they weren't through a fire...

... + Several
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!