I figure this might be the right place to come, and the big muff isn't that big of a schematic from what I have seen. I'm not much of a pedal guy, I haven't looked into it much.

Anyways, my Big Muff has some issues. It's the American version, not the russian by the way.

When I hit the foot switch, all it does is cut volume tremendously. I can barely hear anything even when it's on max volume. It's damned near inaudible, but what you can hear does sound okay. In the end, it doesn't work. It's like going from my half stack, to playing out of an earbud.

I really have no clue where to start. I cleaned out the pots, thinking it was them, but it's not. I'm afraid it's something on the PCB board. I haven't really torn into it, but I wanted to know first if this is a tell tale sign of something significant.

Any help is appreciated, as always. I can tear it apart and get pictures if needed.
internal fault on the volume pot?
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by deftonesordie
battery?

+1, always check with a 9v and a wallwart

can we get a good picture of the back and the front of the PCB? so we can see the solders and such?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
1st thing I'd check is the battery. Big Muffs get very quiet when the battery is going. After that it could be just about anything. A bad resistor, bad solder joint, broken trace, or bad transistor could all cause the pedal to die. It's a very simple pedal so any problem will be easy to find and fix if you have a basic knowledge of electronics. It's pretty much a matter of going through and measuring the performance of each component.
Not taking any online orders.
I use a daisy chain for my pedals. All of the other pedals on it are working fine but I'll check that.

I'll get a picture once I get around to it.

I'll google for a schematic and i guess start running through each component with the multimeter... that should be fun... Hell, while I'm in there, I might as well do some modifications. I'mma google those too.
let us know what it was in the end if you find out
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Quote by jaybals
i heard big muffs dont like some power supplys, maybe you need one of their own ones or just batteries?

Where'd you hear that? A different power supply isn't going to change anything (unless your power supply is broken, but it isn't).
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster