I play in a four-piece band consisting of a vocalist, a guitarist (me), bassist, and drummer. Our drummer is incredibly loud, and I push my amp quite a bit (half-way). Our bassist has a 100-watt Fender bass amp (SS?--probably), and his volume is MAXED. I told him that when we were rehearsing, all I could hear was bass, and he said he thought it sounded fine. Is this healthy???
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
LOL yeah it is, I play bass on my 4 piece band... usually I'm behind or on the side of the amp... where was he positioned? wow thats a ****ing 100watt amp man thats sorta crazy, yeah we bassists like it loud (usually) or at least I do ;D. Its best to ask an audience or someone outside of the band to see if its too loud. Usually at practice we crank our guitar and bass pretty loud and my bass about 1.2x the volume of the guitar! depends on the room too! most people don't notice bass as much so its okay to have it a bit louder!
If all you can hear is bass it's not good. If the band as a whole is too loud it's also not good. Might I reccommend you get some ear plugs before you develop tinnitus? And the bass should be audible but not overpowering
Your drummer shouldn't play so loud that your bassist has to put his amp to 10. It might have to do with positioning as well, where you're standing. The bass is the backbone of the music, with the drums, but it's not the only part of the music, keep that in mind.

+1 earplugs.
Yes, I agree that the drummer needs to STFU haha. He has 1 volume. He's good, but extremely loud. It sounds great in a gig setting with no mic'ing, but in a reverb-washed rehearsal space crammed with four people, it gets sort of aggrivating with everyone being ear-shattering except the singer, who is almost entirely inaudible.
Doomsday Arsenal - alternative/progressive
Fender '08 Am Std Strat w/ CS69s > MXR Classic 108 Fuzz > JH-1B Wah > MXR Dyna Comp > EHX Big Muff Pi > Maxon OD9 > MXR Phase 90 > Ibanez CS9 > MXR Carbon Copy > Boss TU-2 > Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Drummers are loud, you cant really do anything about it unless you put em in a plexiglas shell and mic it all.

Anyway, 100 watts for a giging bassist whos playing with a four piece is really light. That amp of his is probably clipping all the time right? Anyway, a good 200 to 300 watt amp would be much better and i'm not saying that he should be playing louder, i'm just saying that he really need to have more headroom.

200-300 watts cause it takes much more power to produce bass frequencies.

Also, no that isnt healthy for your ears or for enjoyment. If all you can hear is the thunder coming from your bassist ... you should probably turn it down a bit.

If you actually decide that a new amp might be a good idea, the bass forum can point you into quite a few great directions.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."