Ok. I plan to do my first amp build. In a tea pot.

One of these:

smaller pic

I plan to leave the outside of the pot as plain as possible so I can put my lead into it and have friends go - WTF - you'll ruin you lead?

~I am a complete noob to such things so following the stuff on the below website do you recon that I could take a print out of that page to my local electronics shop and have them tell me what i need?

http://www.runoffgroove.com/littlegem.html

Anyhow i need a speaker that, if possible fits into the top nice and snug that measures about 3" across. The trouble is that it constricts about the opening so I might have to cut it in half and solder it back together once the speaker is in it. I will look into a way of doing this without damaging what would by that point have to be inside it.

This speaker?
http://www.technokit.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=L018A&source=froogle

In the last tread on this someone pointed me towards the jems, THANK YOU - they are perfect

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Aug 3, 2009,
You need a guitar speaker made specifically for guitars or it will sound like crap. Dunno where you can find a 3" one..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
)-: OK. So i need a specifically made 3" - any ideas anyone? Would a really high end 3" do?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Is there a type of speaker, apart from a guitar speaker that does guitar well?

Certified lurker
probably. If all you need to do is hear guitar, then any speaker should work. It won't sound as good as guitar speakers because of the EQ differences. Guitar speakers are EQ's specifically to make a certain aspects of the guitar sound more emphasized. An all-around speaker is made for PA, music playing, etc. It will work. Why not make it a headphone amp or amp head and connect it to headphones or a cab?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
don't worry about the "type" of speaker.
this thing is gonna resonate like crazy because of the metal container anyway.
just go to somewhere like parts express and find something that fits.
the little gem / ruby amps can't put out more than a watt at best.
you won't have much trouble finding a speaker that can handle that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i was the guy who pointed you to these amps, youre welcome...

listen to SYK, he knows his stuff, and for such a small amp, i wouldnt go crazy spending massive amounts of money on a speaker.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Thanks SYK, so I get reverb too? I am gonna make one for myself to check that I can do it and then give the other to a friend. Then Im gonna design my own circuit and install it into some draws from the skip - you get some nice stuff for a scav like me (-; and sell em cheap with 12".

In hte meantime im gonna go down to maplins. Ill get my dad to take me.

Also, I might put some holes in it to cut back on the resonance, or stuff the thing with sound absorbing fluff

EDIT:Thansks Angus. Sorry I couldnt remember your name. Kept thinking of burger king

You musta heard that so many times. Im sorry

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Aug 3, 2009,
thats the first time ive heard that actually. im pretty surprised that no one else has done that...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Thanks SYK, so I get reverb too?

Quote by IYanoplathizoI
Also, I might put some holes in it to cut back on the resonance, or stuff the thing with sound absorbing fluff
Skip the holes. It'll look ugly and won't do all that much.
Get a sheet of closed-cell foam and some rubber cement.
Glue a round piece to the inside bottom and line the cylindrical interior with another piece.
That should help keep the metal from ringing.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Cheer - shes gonna be a BRtoToAlzE amp.

After I have done this successfully I will probably build my own cab and tube head (in a nice Victorian draw i think), with the guitar at school going on in the background.

Certified lurker