Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?

Page 1 of 4
Hey,

Why are there flotation devices under plane seats instead of parachutes?

I'd say its a good point what do you do if you need to jump mid-flight?

Go for it.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Because sometimes, you have a water landing or the plane sinks and you need to float above the water rather than a parachute.

Also, you can't jump out of a commercial airliner
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
If you land in the middle of a large body of water you would have a slim chance of survival without a PFD.

Parachutes require months and months of training to utilize properly, and during the panic and chaos of a plane crash, the entire situation would prove to be overly reckless and dangerous.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

1. because parachutes are expensive
2. if a plane is about to crash, it'd be nearly impossible to put one on and then find an exit from the plane to jump from.
3. unless you have a flotation device along with the parachute, you're still screwed when you hit the water, unless you're miraculously close to shore
A: "hey, thank god they had these parachutes under the seat instead of floatation devices, or we would have crash landed in the sea, and the survivors would all be together and relatively safe."
*lands in sea*
*drowns*
B: "daaaaaamn!"
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
You wouldn't have time to jump, there are too many people, and the doors are too small. And if you did jump, you would probably be too close to the ground anyway.
I dont want to seem gay but i have jumped out of a light plane with a parachute all i was told was pull that chord after 10 seconds the use these wire to angle left and right. I managed it ok,but then the plane wasn't acctualy crashing.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
Because the vast majority of people would be unable to use a parachute, particularly in a crashing commercial airliner.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
It is impossible to open a airplane door in the air. therefor making it pointless
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
Quote by ChiliFan01
I dont want to seem gay but i have jumped out of a light plane with a parachute all i was told was pull that chord after 10 seconds the use these wire to angle left and right. I managed it ok,but then the plane wasn't acctualy crashing.

Plus you had someone who knew what height you were at to tell you when to pull the chord.
And you knew that you weren't going at a speed that was too fast and that you weren't going to be sucked into the engine or have some other dude fall on you
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by sgany
It is impossible to open a airplane door in the air. therefor making it pointless

I have before, what the fuck are you talking about?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Plus you had someone who knew what height you were at to tell you when to pull the chord.

I knew the ten second rule anyway.
My Gig Rig...

Quote by Grindar

A commercial airliner's door cannot be opened in flight.
The pressure differential makes it impossible for a person inside to open it.
Quote by Grindar

yeah, i have too. seeing the look on all the scared passengers faces, they're all like, "olololo we'z dying n shiz"

priceless.
Hahahahahahahahahah hahahaha har har har
Quote by Grindar
Parachutes require months and months of training to utilize properly, and during the panic and chaos of a plane crash, the entire situation would prove to be overly reckless and dangerous.

Really?

I did a static line, and I'm pretty sure most people could use a parachute with about 5 minutes of instructions.

Or course, the panic would make it a lot harder for people to do, but I think that would be the case in a crash anyway.
Now 100% humour free, in accordance with the rules.

.fm
.wordpress
Quote by ChiliFan01

That's so gay... ?
Yes, Timmy, the disabled 7-year-old will have ABSOLUTELY no trouble jumping out of a diving plane thousands of feet above the ground.
LARGE TEXT
you would own yourself hard. a commercial jetliner is almost going the speed of sound. if you jump out of the wrong door your gonna go straight into the wing or engine and be completely obliterated. it's also very expensive. people probably don't know how to usem.

other than that though i don't see why not?
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by ChiliFan01

10 seconds would only apply at the particular altitude you made that jump.
If you were significantly higher, by the time you reach the ground you'd be going too fast, and break every bone in your legs, correct landing technique or not,.
everyone can sit on a floating seat. not everyone can be trusted with a parachute.
$$$$
pretty dumb to parachute into the ocean
getting hundreds of people out of a plane with like 2 exits + jet turbines = bad things

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by stephen_rettie
10 second rule doesnt work 10 seconds above the ground

Well if you are parachuting 10 seconds of the ground then you sir are a fool for doing so.
My Gig Rig...

Quote by ChiliFan01

That only applies at the altitude you were at. If you were higher or lower you'd be dead.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by MightyAl
10 seconds would only apply at the particular altitude you made that jump.
If you were significantly higher, by the time you reach the ground you'd be going too fast, and break every bone in your legs, correct landing technique or not,.

All i did was land with bent knees and released the shoot 3 feet from the ground then rolled over on impact.Im in Tact
My Gig Rig...

The simple reason is you don't need to learn how to use a lifejacket.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by ChiliFan01
All i did was land with bent knees and released the shoot 3 feet from the ground then rolled over on impact.Im in Tact

You jumped from the right height for your '10 second rule' to apply, numbnuts.
Any higher, and you'd have accelarated enough to do yourself severe damage on impact, any lower and the parachute wouldn't have slowed you enough to make the landing safe.
lrn2physics.
Because the fun you can have with dingies > the fun you can have with parachutes.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

It's difficult to jump out of a plane that is out of control, too. And there really is no reason to jump out so long as it is under control, even if it is going down.
Bluegrass Rocks

CYNONYTE!

Quote by Basti95
People only come here to get sigged anyway

Quote by Basti95
Rats, I thought someone would sig it and make me famous...

it was going to be my big break

Oh,and to clear it up i wasn't planning on jumping out i was given a shoot they shouted the orders at me and then sort of shoved me out.
My Gig Rig...

Quote by Fleabag
Really?

I did a static line, and I'm pretty sure most people could use a parachute with about 5 minutes of instructions.

Or course, the panic would make it a lot harder for people to do, but I think that would be the case in a crash anyway.

Learning how to jump out of a tiny door in the side of a commercial airliner, during a massive panic, where you don't have anyone telling you what to do, and fifty other people wanting to jump pushing at you from behind is difficult.
We should get TS and all of his friends and family and put them in a Boeing 767 with no flotation devices, only parachutes.

Then we send that plane out into the mid-pacific and shoot it down. We will count the number of people who survived exiting the plane shrouded in flames, successfully deploying the parachute, surviving the impact with the ocean and then swimming the thousands of miles back to land through shark-infested waters. With some luck and proper timing, we might even manage to get the nearest land to be China or North Korea where TS and co. can go become prostitutes and slaves for an oppresive reigime.

Based on the results of this "study" we can than propose what changes should be made to the FAA.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.
Last edited by Seryaph at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by ChiliFan01
Well if you are parachuting 10 seconds of the ground then you sir are a fool for doing so.

way to miss my point chief, the '10 second rule' only applies at a certain altitude at a certain speed. at a different altitude or speed said rule is ****ing useless
but this is pointless as it has been stated, traveling at the speed of most commercial airliners, something like 0.85 mach, the doors dont open.
for OBVIOUS REASONS.
Quote by Seryaph
We should get TS and all of his friends and family and put them in a Boeing 767 with no flotation devices, only parachutes.

Then we send that plane out into the mid-atlantic and shoot it down. We will count the number of people who survived exiting the plane shrouded in flames, successfully deploying the parachute, surviving the impact with the ocean and then swimming the thousands of miles back to land through shark-infested waters. With some luck and proper timing, we might even manage to get the nearest land to be China or North Korea where TS and co. can go become prostitutes and slaves for an oppresive reigime.

Based on the results of this "study" we can than propose what changes should be made to the FAA.

Getting China or North Korea to be the closest land to the mid-Atlantic is gonna take some work.
Quote by Seryaph

Then we send that plane out into the mid-atlantic and shoot it down. We will count the number of people who survived exiting the plane shrouded in flames, successfully deploying the parachute, surviving the impact with the ocean and then swimming the thousands of miles back to land through shark-infested waters. With some luck and proper timing, we might even manage to get the nearest land to be China or North Korea where TS and co. can go become prostitutes and slaves for an oppresive reigime.

y the **** would a 767 get shot down over the mid-Atlantic.Why would you be near China or North korea?
My Gig Rig...

Page 1 of 4