my yamaha has non locking tuning machines. I just started so im pretty tone deaf. how often would you recommend me tuning guitar. btw, I have the $20 korg electronic tuner. when I tune should the guitar be plugged into the amp or not. feed the noob. thanks
el cheapo gear but it works
Plug one of the ends of the cable into the guitar. Plug the other end into the tuner. Play an open string, and it will tell you whether the note is flat, sharp, or right on. Make sure that the volume of the guitar is up, too. Occasionally, I forget to turn the volume up myself.
Maybe I should have read the Korg manual so your saying to plug the amp cable into the guitar lead and the other end into the tuner then turn the volume on the guitar all the way up (what about the tone knob) then pick and adjust each string
Last edited by SKOOBEY at Aug 3, 2009,
^ when you play, one end of the cable goes to the guitar, and one goes to the amp.

when you tune, just take the end of the cable that's in the amp, and plug it into the input on the tuner.

personally, I do a quick tune every time I pick up a guitar, but without a tuner. I"ll use a tuner before band practice..

eventually you'll get used to listening for whats in tune and what isn't, so you can relatively tune it on the fly.
Quote by james4
^ when you play, one end of the cable goes to the guitar, and one goes to the amp.

when you tune, just take the end of the cable that's in the amp, and plug it into the input on the tuner.

personally, I do a quick tune every time I pick up a guitar, but without a tuner. I"ll use a tuner before band practice..

eventually you'll get used to listening for whats in tune and what isn't, so you can relatively tune it on the fly.

thanks man
I would tune the guita everytime I pick it up. That way everytime you tune it, your ear get's used to the pitch of the note. And that will increase your Aural skills(ear).