Hey,

I am all new to pedals, since I have been playing a crappy mult-fx-unit for quite a while. I want to get a pretty versatile distortion pedal to be able to get a more metal-like (metallica, bfmv etc. nothing too brutal), or more hardcorish sound (sick of it all, comeback kid, boysetsfire...) out of my blackstar ht-5 head (for gear see my signature).

also, it would be nice if I could use it as a "dirty clean channel" at lower gain-settings, so I think a metal-pedal i.e. like the metal muff would be too much.

Can one of those pedals do the job? Which one is better suited? Is there maybe another one, I haven't considered yet? Here's some links:

Marshall Jackhammer:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/marshall_jh1_jackhammer.htm
Hardwire Valve Distortion
http://www.thomann.de/gb/digitech_hardwire_hw_sc2_valve_dist.htm

My budget it about 100 bucks (euros that is, but normally gear costs the same amount in € as it does in $).

Thanks
Epiphone Les Paul Studio AW Ltd Run
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Harley Benton 2X12" (Celestion V 30s)
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive CO1
Marshall Reflector RF1
Digitech Hardwire HW DL 8 Delay/Looper
I have played the Jackhammer, I think it has enough gain, but the distortion setting on the Jackhammer is awful.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
anyone else any experiences?
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
Get the Hardwire. The Jackhammer isn't bad, but the Hardwire for the price is supposed to be as good as just about any boutique distortion. Other than those two, see how much an MXR Distortion III is.

EDIT - How is your V30 cab?
Quote by greggybhoy
Get the Hardwire. The Jackhammer isn't bad, but the Hardwire for the price is supposed to be as good as just about any boutique distortion. Other than those two, see how much an MXR Distortion III is.

EDIT - How is your V30 cab?

like i said: i am new to pedals. what is a boutique distortion?

i haven't played a lot of other cabs, but i get a really nice sound from it. as far as durability goes, i can't tell you that much in that area, since it has been standing in my bedroom eversince i bought it.
Epiphone PR 5 CE VS
Blackstar HT5 Head
Marshall Reflector RF1
Quote by roter$baron
like i said: i am new to pedals. what is a boutique distortion?

Expensive, high quality pedals made in small batches (usually by hand) are regarded as boutique. Brands like Rothwell, Hipkitty, T.Rex and homebrew can be regarded as boutique.

In your price range though, the Hardwire and MXR are probably the best, especially as you also want something that can add a touch of grit in the clean channel. As you rightly pointed out, the Metal Muff would be overkill.
Quote by Jak Archer
I have played the Jackhammer, I think it has enough gain, but the distortion setting on the Jackhammer is awful.

+1

Check out the AMT DT-2 DistStation.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO