Does anyone one any ways to get a higher string tension on an electric, specificly an SG or Les Paul. I've been just playing acoustic for about a year, and I hate the feel of the strings on electrics now, and I also like the brighter sound a lot better.
brighter sound usually comes from thinner strings, whereas tension comes from thicker strings
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
brighter sound usually comes from thinner strings, whereas tension comes from thicker strings

uhm no
the guy is an acoustic player, 13 gauge strings tend to have much more harmonic complexity than 10
it is true for electrics as well, but not so noticeable, since nickel steel strings are on the dull side
thicker is duller in electrics.. You need a certain brand. I find ernie balls to be very bright. DR hex core tite fits are pretty bright too.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by Brokntragedy
dont waste your money on strings, pour vinegar on them to make them tighter.

Whaattttttttt?
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
Quote by TommEnright
Does anyone one any ways to get a higher string tension on an electric, specificly an SG or Les Paul. I've been just playing acoustic for about a year, and I hate the feel of the strings on electrics now, and I also like the brighter sound a lot better.

Play a longer scale length guitar or use heavier strings.

That's it.
I don`t know what the scale length is on the Gibsons but anyway, you can increase tension by getting thicker gauge strings as mentioned or getting a guitar with a longer scale (Fenders and Jackson typically have longer 25.5 In scales).

You posted in the gear building thread so I wonder if your after a modification that will change something? There is no such alteration.
gibsons have 24 3/4 inch scales, the only thing you could do is get thicker strings OR possibly us DR tite-fits, which are designed to have more tension.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Wrong forum. There's no building or customization happening here.
Please use Guitar Techniques or Electric Guitar.

Thanks.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
gibsons have 24 3/4 inch scales, the only thing you could do is get thicker strings OR possibly us DR tite-fits, which are designed to have more tension.

I use tite-fits. That's wrong. They have less tension because of the round cores. easier to bend and vibrato than like Ernie Balls.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
but mine were always tighter than ernie balls??????

i used to use 'em, but they got too expensive. for some reason they always seemed way tighter to me???

maybe im just weird......
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
but mine were always tighter than ernie balls??????

i used to use 'em, but they got too expensive. for some reason they always seemed way tighter to me???

maybe im just weird......

DR advertises them as being low tension because of the round core. meh. One of use is wrong
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
I use tite-fits. That's wrong. They have less tension because of the round cores. easier to bend and vibrato than like Ernie Balls.
Common sense and a bit of reasoning will tell you this is wrong.

All other things being equal, a hex core will have will require tension because it has less mass for the same string diameter after it's wound. There are gaps between the core and the winding except at the points of the hex.

Gap = air = lighter than metal = less mass.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Also it doesnt explain why un wound strings still produce higher tension when they are thicker.

Its a mass thing.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
back to the topic i believe the yamaha drop6 guitars have the bridge slightly further back allowing higher tension (specifically for drop tuning but this could also apply here), moving the bridge could see this question being relevant here since the TS was asking for a way (i assume this COULD mean a modification)
no, because that would f*** up the scale length. although, moving the tailpiece might work...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Dude, moving the bridge without a whole new neck is just gonna screw with intonation, majorly.

but yes, it will give you higher tension, whilst rendering your guitar useless.

EDIT: i dont think moving the tail piece would really have any effect on it, because that isnt the vibrating length of the string
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
thats why i said might. idk if it would work, but it might be worth a shot...
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by chuckmehh
thicker gauge strings

/thread
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411