I have been playing guitar for about four and a half years and all I ever do is economy pick. My guitar teacher is making me learn to alternate pick because it makes some licks easier and I agree. He gave me a few different licks to practice alternate picking with and i've been trying the first one which i will post below.

e|------------15------------------15------------||
b|--15-16-18------18-16-15-16-18------18-16-15--||
-----d--u--d--d---u--d--u--d--u---d---u---d--u--||
-----d--u--d--u---d--u--d--u--d---u---d---u--d--||

The first two lines is the tab, the third line is what I would do with economy picking and the fourth line is what I do when I alternate pick, as you can see when I economy pick it I end up inward picking from the second time the lick is played onwards.

The problem that I am having with this is that when I alternate pick I am not used to picking up on that 15 on the e string and I end up hitting the 15 and the open b string. Could someone give me a tip to help me with this, it only really happens when I go fast but it's taking me a while to get the feel of alternate picking and its just really annoying when I keep hitting that open b string after the 15. Thank you in advance for any help.

-James
Last edited by jdmarsh2005 at Aug 3, 2009,
Play slower and gradually increase the speed when your accuracy improves. Always try to play with a metronome. Sounds obvious but too many people overlook the importance of the metronome.
I have been playing this slowly for a long time, over and over and i can do it easily quite quickly except I keep hitting that note.
Quote by jdmarsh2005
I have been playing guitar for about four and a half years and all I ever do is economy pick. My guitar teacher is making me learn to alternate pick because it makes some licks easier and I agree. He gave me a few different licks to practice alternate picking with and i've been trying the first one which i will post below.

e|------------15------------------15------------||
b|--15-16-18------18-16-15-16-18------18-16-15--||
-----d--u--d--d---u--d--u--d--u---d---u---d--u--||
-----d--u--d--u---d--u--d--u--d---u---d---u--d--||

The first two lines is the tab, the third line is what I would do with economy picking and the fourth line is what I do when I alternate pick, as you can see when I economy pick it I end up inward picking from the second time the lick is played onwards.

The problem that I am having with this is that when I alternate pick I am not used to picking up on that 15 on the e string and I end up hitting the 15 and the open b string. Could someone give me a tip to help me with this, it only really happens when I go fast but it's taking me a while to get the feel of alternate picking and its just really annoying when I keep hitting that open b string after the 15. Thank you in advance for any help.

-James

You really have to help yourself here. Practice it..... be patient. It will come in time.

something to think about.... alt picking that particular lick gives you a consistency where your eco picked pattern does not. personally I would never try to pick that lick with eco. (not saying you can't.... just that I wouldn't recommend it ... at least not how you wrote it)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 3, 2009,
Yeah that's exactly why i'm learning to alternate pick, I think I do just need more practice, tomorrow i'm shutting myself away to practice all day, my girlfriend isn't too happy about that though but I really want to get this down.
Quote by jdmarsh2005
Yeah that's exactly why i'm learning to alternate pick, I think I do just need more practice, tomorrow i'm shutting myself away to practice all day, my girlfriend isn't too happy about that though but I really want to get this down.

Cool

Try to keep the hand relaxed and allow yourself to develop the skill. (rather than force it) it takes time (probably not 1 practice session), but I bet you'll get it.
shred is gaudy music