How do you guys learn songs by ear. On another thread someone said it would be easier and more helpful to just learn songs by ear. But how on earth do you do that. Seems like way too much
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
It takes some ear training and some basic music theory knowledge. What helped me were two things:

this: www.good-ear.com. This helps to start to learn to hear intervals and chords.

The other thing I would suggest is to make scales and arpeggio practice part of your normal daily practice routine. You'll be able to start hearing patterns and progressions in songs easier.

And remember it takes time and practice and is not something you just pick up overnight.
thats what i figured but the guys in the thread were like "omg u gotz da lern to read by earz ohzzz u suxxr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". So i thought it was some trick to it
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Another thing is to sing the bass line and then pick out the notes on the bass. The most accurate instrument most of us own is our own voices. When first learning to play by ear, its easier to use your voice as the intermediary instrument.
Quote by Rain_In_Blood
thats what i figured but the guys in the thread were like "omg u gotz da lern to read by earz ohzzz u suxxr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". So i thought it was some trick to it

I know,a bunch of badasses. Sorry that not all of here on UG are just the greatest musicians yet. Maybe that's why we're on this site,to learn some new things and get better,but maybe I'm wrong.
i've just picked it up through learning bass, never really learnt to learn by ear, i just played along to something one day and thought "hmm, i didn't know i could do that!". once you have a basic grasp of theory and where all the notes lie, that's pretty much all you need. sometimes it can take a while, but it can be easy enough.
Quote by anarkee
Another thing is to sing the bass line and then pick out the notes on the bass. The most accurate instrument most of us own is our own voices. When first learning to play by ear, its easier to use your voice as the intermediary instrument.

I admit, I lol'd at "most of us".

But yeah, anarkee is right. Sing the bass part and try to figure it out. Helps a lot.
For learning songs by ear i use alot of trial and error since i'm still inexperienced.
Mostly i just recognize similar patterns and stuff you know? Unless its a metal song, cause sometimes i cant hear it and just re write the line before a practice.

Anyway, you could try and learn The Distance by Cake if you dont already know it by using your ear. That was my first learned by ear song.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by joehhy
I admit, I lol'd at "most of us".

But yeah, anarkee is right. Sing the bass part and try to figure it out. Helps a lot.

I have met musicians who really couldn't hit pitch worth a sh*t. But for the most part, even though the voices may not be lovely, most can hit the pitch of a note. Just not all.
I try to get most songs by year.
Some songs take me 10 minutes, some 2 days+, depending on how much I listen and learn.

I have learned songs from All American Rejects, Taylor Swift (some catchy basslines), JB, Raein, All That Remains, For Today, Juanes, Chris Tomlin, Planet Shaker, Earth Wind and Fire.

I just listen to the music really loud in like 10 second intervals and listen and concentrate on the bass line. I learn the bass line, sing it and find the notes/frets that it corresponds with. I usually get the 10 seconds interval at the first try, but sometimes, I'm rewinding and playing for like 10 minutes.

I usually tab it as I go along, because working for a song for hours, I tend to forget it.

I have some knowledge in theory, but I don't really think I use it when tabbing/learning songs... maybe I do?
You can't always sing the bassline if you CAN'T hear the bass.....Tom Petty....I end up writing my own bass lines most of the time for his music, but i do get the chord chnges and all the riffs they all do. I try to listen to the song a few times, get familiar, find the key note, and play and rewind alot til u get whats goin on.

After ALOT of work, i got thru a whole Tom Petty album (She's The One) today, but I remember basically nothing, so... =/
Try adding more delay.
I just started to learn songs my ear. A couple of days ago I learned Ten Speed by Coheed and Cambria, and It only took me an hour or so(but those fills were trouble). Just know your scales and your pretty much set.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by anarkee
I have met musicians who really couldn't hit pitch worth a sh*t. But for the most part, even though the voices may not be lovely, most can hit the pitch of a note. Just not all.

hah i would be one of those that really, truly cannot sing for ANYTHING.
It's a steady process really, nothing is going to happen quickly. Just keep playing songs and gradually you will start to recognise notes from songs without need for tabs, etc.

Then start to figure out some easy-ish songs and build on it from there.
signature
Quote by telecastrmastr
You can't always sing the bassline if you CAN'T hear the bass.....Tom Petty....I end up writing my own bass lines most of the time for his music, but i do get the chord chnges and all the riffs they all do. I try to listen to the song a few times, get familiar, find the key note, and play and rewind alot til u get whats goin on.

After ALOT of work, i got thru a whole Tom Petty album (She's The One) today, but I remember basically nothing, so... =/

Duck Dunn of Booker T and the MGs actually taught himself to play bass by playing along with records and putting in the bass line he *thought* should be there.

If you can hear basic chord progressions and are familiar with the tune, its not too hard to cop a good workable bassline to a song, once you've got the hang of it.
I listen to a song playing along getting it very wrong, over and over till it gets not wrong. For the harder bits I'll focus on that and sometimes use tab if the bass is hard to hear.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by anarkee
Duck Dunn of Booker T and the MGs actually taught himself to play bass by playing along with records and putting in the bass line he *thought* should be there.

If you can hear basic chord progressions and are familiar with the tune, its not too hard to cop a good workable bassline to a song, once you've got the hang of it.

I did not know that about Duck Dunn. Also, I ended up coming up with a bassline for Walls (Circus) that I'm really proud of, it's very McCartney styled. (:
Try adding more delay.
learning by ear was really hard at first. but if you learn the chord, scale, arpeggio patterns at the very least it'll become much easier.

for me it was, at least, because once i memorized the different patterns, it was easier to recognize them when i heard them in songs which made learning songs by ear much easier because rather than plucking it out literally note by note i could figure out more than one note at once if i recognized the scale, mode, what-have-you being used.
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.