I'm about 2 weeks into playing the guitar (electric). I think I've done moderately well for myself. I've figured out how to tune, pick a few easy songs (Collective Soul - December, SoaD - Aerials intro, Simon and Garfunkel - Sound of Silence, etc), and have been practicing several power chords.

My problem is that when I'm picking the noise gets away from me. When using power chords (or chords in general I think) I notice the sound I'm going for will be instantiated by the vibration of the string - but will quickly die out when I strum the next power chord.

While picking this does not seem to be the case. Take Collective Soul - December as an example. I pick the intro part, which repeats using the same chord fingering (mostly), and as I make my way through the song the sound keeps getting louder and louder until it's nothing more than a massive noise of god-awfulness-sauce.

It seems the only way I can fix this is to somehow dampen the string after each pick but this seems impossible. I can't imagine having to pick, finger and dampen after each note. Your hand would be moving so fast all the time.

What am I missing here? Is there a technique for keeping your notes crisp, well timed and short?
Quote by KoenDercksen
Make sure that you fret and THEN strum. If you lift your fingers off of a powerchord, but keep on touching the strings, the notes will just stop ringing. For the timing, use a metronome to practice.

Perhaps I haven't explained my problem well enough. No, you see my problem is the exact opposite of what you are saying. When I strum power chords everything sounds just right. (side note: I've mastered the bridge section for Aerials using strumming and it's wicked fun)

It's when I'm picking that the 'ringing' just keeps going and going and going until I move my fingers. Unfortunately I don't know the musical jargon (nomenclature) so I don't know exactly what to call it. Just take my December example. You can look at the tab here.

You see how you don't move anything but your index finger for the first verse? Well, as a result my e, B and G strings ring like a mofo. They just keep building up after every strum until it's just a plethora of noise. I can let go of those strings and they will obviously stop but I was wondering if there is something I can do to prevent this from occurring.

Does that make more sense?
Last edited by ricomoss at Aug 3, 2009,
Alright I hope this all works out well for you. I had the same problem and this video helped me fix it. You need to mute the strings after you play them and there are techniques in that video to help you achieve that.

best of luck!
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Quote by ricomoss
Perhaps I haven't explained my problem well enough. No, you see my problem is the exact opposite of what you are saying. When I strum power chords everything sounds just right. (side note: I've mastered the bridge section for Aerials using strumming and it's wicked fun)

It's when I'm picking that the 'ringing' just keeps going and going and going until I move my fingers. Unfortunately I don't know the musical jargon (nomenclature) so I don't know exactly what to call it. Just take my December example. You can look at the tab here.

You see how you don't move anything but your index finger for the first verse? Well, as a result my e, B and G strings ring like a mofo. They just keep building up after every strum until it's just a plethora of noise. I can let go of those strings and they will obviously stop but I was wondering if there is something I can do to prevent this from occurring.

Does that make more sense?

You probably should play more "staccato" esque. I looked at the tab you linked, do you play with distortion? If so, on a Humbucker or Single Coil? I often hear people saying Humbuckers handle distortion better, and single coils take it muddy...Is this what people are talking about? :S

Now I'm intrigued because I kinda get what he's talking about...

May just take good muting / staccato technique
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Quote by SheLeftMe
You probably should play more "staccato" esque. I looked at the tab you linked, do you play with distortion? If so, on a Humbucker or Single Coil? I often hear people saying Humbuckers handle distortion better, and single coils take it muddy...Is this what people are talking about? :S

Now I'm intrigued because I kinda get what he's talking about...

May just take good muting / staccato technique

I'm not sure what any of that means.

I just started playing two weeks ago so I don't know anything about Humbuckers, Single Coils or Staccato. I'll research a bit to find out.

For December I don't use distortion although I have noticed the same problem with the songs I've tried playing with distortion (in fact, it seems much worse with distortion).

I'll look into what that stuff means and get back to you. :P
@ SheLeftMe

I took some time to research that stuff and I think I understand it now. So, Humbucker is when there are two pickups that are joint like the rear pickups here and Single Coil is like the traditional pickup like this. Did I get that right? If so, I have Humbuckers on my guitar but I haven't used them for practicing yet. I've stuck with the front pickup for everything that I've done so far - for no particular reason.

Staccato is a technique of pressing your fingers against the string after you've picked it? How can you do this when you use a pick? I can see how you would do this if you are using your fingers to pick but I'm trying to learn using a pick and am at a loss. haha
A Single Coil pick-up is a pick-up with just one line / strip of magnets.

Staccato means playing the music without letting it ring; muting it after.

"are separated in a detached and distinctly separate manner or short and separated, with silence making up the latter part of the time allocated to each note"
From wiki,

Where as Legato would be letting it ring until you play the next note / connecting them more. Think the intro of One - Metallica.

edit: O didn't see you posted so fast! ^Yea, muting with your right hand is awesomely helpful too; when you get the chance watch that video.
American Strat
Peavey Vypyr 75w
Ok, so it looks like I need to learn how to mute. Thanks, guys. I'll do some research into what that is and practice it.

/cheers