So I am thinking about getting a decent AE guitar, my 200$ acoustic fender isn't cutting it and I want a good acoustic electric guitar for around 800-1000. I have narrowed it between 2 Taylor guitars and was wondering if you guy’s could give a little feedback on the guitars and if it would be a good buy or if I should go a different route.

The ones I was thinking about getting is:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-114ce-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-104657713-i1323885.gc

and

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Taylor-214e-Grand-Auditorium-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-514897-i1148410.gc
They're both great guitars. The biggest difference would be the cutaway on the 114CE and the bracing. The 214E is braced alittle differently (not sure if that equates to better or louder or what). They also have different sides and back but on both guitars the back and side isn't solid wood so you'd really have a hard time telling the difference.

I'd go with the 114CE just because of the cutaway, but either one is a winner. Taylors come setup very well even though if your like me you'll want to change those elixirs that come on it.

You'll also have alot of people tell you to check around at other guitars for that price, and you should. You might find some all solid wood guitars and some great used guitars, but when I got my 114CE I tried out every guitar in the store under a thousand bucks (very close to it, lol) and just fell in love with this one. So it's all about you. You might find an all solid wood guitar for your price range but it might not have the same playability or quality of the Taylors your looking at.

Also, be sure to play them plugged in. I love the system that comes on these guitars. They sound great.
well if you use the higher frets get the one with the cutaway, otherwise the other one.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
If you can go a little above your budget the 314ce is really nice. It comes with the taylor expression system which is a lot nicer than what the 1 and 2 series comes with. More importantly, the 3 series is where taylor uses all solid woods. The 1's and 2's come with laminate back and sides i think. If you cant get the 314ce id go for another brand as there are better values in guitar than the lower end taylors
Quote by ikickazz123
If you can go a little above your budget the 314ce is really nice. It comes with the taylor expression system which is a lot nicer than what the 1 and 2 series comes with. More importantly, the 3 series is where taylor uses all solid woods. The 1's and 2's come with laminate back and sides i think. If you cant get the 314ce id go for another brand as there are better values in guitar than the lower end taylors

this is good advice. i would follow this. the difference between the 1/2 series and the 3+ series is huge (both in woods and in electronics).
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
i like taylors a lot, myself - they sound great, feel great, are known to have good customer service.

the bottom line - will you use the cutaway and does one of the guitars sound better to you than the other? i like the sound of the 114 better than the 314, actually, even though the 100 series is laminate, but everyone has their own taste. there are other taylors i like more than the 314, but they cost more.

if you like the 100 or 200 series guitars, maybe you could go used. the pre-2006 100 or 200 series have solid back and sides.

another option for a grand or under are the seagull acoustic electrics. they don't have cutaways, but they are all solid for around $800 and i find the brand is generally nice stuff. also if you don't mind strings with a bit more tension, some of the breedlove atlas series have solid top and back with laminate sides although some have laminate backs, as well. i prefer the taylors over the breedloves as they have less string tension so are easier to play, but the breedloves have more control over their electronics. also i wrote to breedlove twice with questions when i was considering buying a breedlove and they didn't get back to me, which was off-putting as taylor responded to my questions immediately.
Last edited by patticake at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by patticake
i prefer the taylors over the breedloves as they have less string tension so are easier to play...

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your post, but how do they have more string tension? Do you mean that the action is higher or something? Or that they come with higher gauge strings? It seems like the tension on a string should be the same on any guitar as long as it's in tune. the tension keeps the string in tune, so you'll need the same tension on any guitar to tune that string at that length... maybe I just don't understand...
i believe that the taylors are shorter scale guitars - the longer the scale, the more the string tension. a guitar with a 25.5 inch scale will have more string tension than one with a 24.75 inch scale. also a tipped back headstock can add a little length, which will essentially add a little to how long the string is without adding to the scale length.

i'm not a luthier and i don't play one on tv, so there may be other things that contribute to string tension, but i don't know. action is easy - you lower the nut and saddle. strings being heavy are even easier - you just change 'em.

Quote by RoughDraft274
Maybe I'm just misunderstanding your post, but how do they have more string tension? Do you mean that the action is higher or something? Or that they come with higher gauge strings? It seems like the tension on a string should be the same on any guitar as long as it's in tune. the tension keeps the string in tune, so you'll need the same tension on any guitar to tune that string at that length... maybe I just don't understand...
Quote by ikickazz123

This post pretty much says it all. I've heard and played 100/200 series Taylors, and wasn't impressed as far as tone goes. That, and they look extremely cheap. However, once you get to the 300+, they're fantastic guitars.

As has been said before, check out some Seagulls. Great, great value and awesome tone. I'd also look at Epiphone Masterbilt. Again, great value, and they really do sound quite nice. Takamine is another brand that, IMO, you can't go wrong with. Alvarez is great too. Fantastic feel. And on the subject of Breedlove being a bit more "difficult" to play, you'll get used to it once you build up the necessary hand and finger strength, as well as throwing a set of lighter guage strings on. And have you actually TRIED a Breedlove or are you just going off of what people have been saying on this site? Personally I don't even notice when I play them.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Thanks for all the feedback. That 314ce would be nice but I dont think I can spring for that although I might end up doing it cause if I'm going to spend about 1000$ i might as well go for the 314ce if it's that much better. It's just that this AE guitar purchase will be the last one I make for a long time and I want to make sure I get the best buy. i was just really hoping 1000$ would buy a pretty ****ing good acoustic.
Last edited by halfbakedj14 at Aug 4, 2009,
If you get a 314CE, you won't have to buy another guitar EVER. Its solid wood, and the tone won't deteriorate. The only problem I can forsee is the electronics going bad, but even then I wouldn't count on it. However, with a 100-200 series, you'll be looking at a guitar you'll want to replace in 5 years. If you want to have a long lasting guitar, then don't expect to pay less than $1000.

Again, I'd take a look at the second paragraph in my post above. It has, I think, 4 different brand suggestions. You can get an Epiphone Masterbilt and install aftermarket electronics for less than the price of a 314CE.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
don't look for the best buy - look for the best guitar in your price range. that means shop only for what sounds best to you and what's comfortable to you physically. if you are going to have to make this one last, take your time. spend weeks playing all the reputable guitars in your price range that are all solid wood - top, back and sides.

any one of these seagulls would be good quality, all solid wood and godin electronics and their wood and tone are usually very good.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/seagull-acoustic-electric-guitars-6-string-acoustic-electric-guitars?N=100001+304308+202985+12

also recommend you check out a Guild Gad-40C and maybe a Guild GAD-F30PCE.

to be honest, i'd consider the taylor 100 and 200 series even though they are laminate back and sides, but most people would tell you only to go for all solid. i say go for what sounds and feels best to you, but make sure to spend enough time playing guitars in AND ABOVE your price range so that you have a frame of reference. i've discovered that after playing the good stuff - the ones over $2000 and $3000 for an hour or two, only a few of the $1000 and under guitars feel and sound good and feel good to me, and those are the ones i'd consider.

Quote by halfbakedj14
Thanks for all the feedback. That 314ce would be nice but I dont think I can spring for that although I might end up doing it cause if I'm going to spend about 1000$ i might as well go for the 314ce if it's that much better. It's just that this AE guitar purchase will be the last one I make for a long time and I want to make sure I get the best buy. i was just really hoping 1000$ would buy a pretty ****ing good acoustic.
Well, i USED to really want a taylor 100/200 series. That was back in my first year of playing and I didn't know much. Honestly, the idea of having a TAYLOR guitar was just so tempting. And at 600/700 dollars! wow!

but now, I play them in my store and honestly, they aren't worth that much. Overpriced and definitely not the best in that price. OMG A BIRD FLEW INTO MY WINDOWW!!!! sorry. had to share that while it happened. Anyways, they are good guitars. Just plenty of wayyyy better ones at that price. Honestly, you're just paying for the name on the headstock. If I had to choose any guitar in that price range, (and I've been in the same situation as you have like a month ago) I'd go with this beauty:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EG523SC-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=516302

It's a solid Jumbo body. Means its going to be slightly heavier and bigger, but not by a huge amount. Plays like a charm and it really sings. AND its friggin beautiful imo.

EDIT: Oh right. If i had to choose between the two, go with the 200. BUT I WOULDNT BUY EITHER! From 300's is where Taylor guitars get the rep. All low-end guitars from high-end companies tend to suck....
Last edited by dkang57 at Aug 5, 2009,
^-- I had been coming back to that guitar as well searching for a guitar. I love the look and the inlays aare awesome, it's just a beautiful guitar IMO. I haven't gotten a chance to head up to Guitar Center to try them all out but I will soon. I just have the mind set that if it's more expensive it's gotta be better, which obviously isn't the case.