I just ran across what was advertised as a "Fender Jazz Bass Special"

http://redding.craigslist.org/msg/1259430564.html

Quote by Craigslist
Fender Jazz Bass Special- SERIAL NUMBER C000607 Prestine Condition... WITH HARD SHELL CASE
This guitar has been upgraded with a EMG active Pickups.. and a "BadAss Bass II" bridge
please call for more information 530-378-0122 0r 530-356-5300

I'm familiar with Fender basses, but doesn't that look like a P-bass body? But at the same time, the neck clearly says "Jazz Bass Special".

Did this guitar leave the factory this way, or has it been modified?

All I can say is I love it! Please help me find some more info!

Thanks
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
So did this bass come this way from the factory?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix
Wait a minute, disregard what I've said... the serial number may be CO00607, not C000607, making it a walnut P Bass Special from 1982.

Dammit, it's late and I'm getting confused. One potential serial says Japan, another says US P Bass Speial, headstock says Jazz Bass Special... GODAMMIT FENDER
I've been checking Google, and I've yet to come up with a Jazz Bass Special like the one listed above.

I've found a few Jazz Bazz Specials, with the same body and everything, but none of them have a pickguard. It looks like a p-bass pickguard cut in a Jazz Bass style. Is that a factory thing or did someone simply put one on?
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Aug 3, 2009,
Fender-
Jazz Bass Special:
1984-1991, Japanese-made, Jazz/Precision hybrid, Precision-shaped basswood body, Jazz neck(fretless available), 2 P/J pick-ups, offered with active or passive electronics.
1984-1991: $450 - $500
prices listed are for excellent condition.
source: The Vintage Guitar Magazine Price Guide 2009.
the photo in my book is an 1987 example and, looks just like yours.

Edit: Ooops! minus the pick-guard.
Last edited by 83lespaulstudio at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
the photo in my book is an 1987 example and, looks just like yours.
Edit: Ooops! minus the pick-guard.

Yeah, I emailed the owner, and it looks like the pickguard is a custom-cut P-bass pickguard.

The owner sent me a pic:

It would look really cool if they had a custom metal plate cut piece for the pots though
Last edited by yellowsnow4free at Aug 4, 2009,
The bass is a more than likely Japanese made (1984-1991) "Jazz Bass Special". These were hybrids with a Percission-shapped body made out of basswood and a Jazz neck.