I never had more than the usual annoyance of prying the snug bridge pins from my bridge when changing strings. Well, I let a friend borrow my acoustic so he could practice. He returned my guitar in jam up shape, but did change the strings. I recently needed to change strings a few days ago and still haven't. It appears my friend stuck the pins into the bridge harder than I ever did. They simply won't move and I will bleed my fingers out before I get the pins out. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for such an inconvenience?
Have you tried leverage?

bottom right is a little doo-dad to take out pins.

Edit: or try some pliers wrapped in something soft (so you don't damage the pins)
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
Last edited by Silent Murder at Aug 3, 2009,
Try grabbing a string about an inch or so past where it comes past the bridge pin. Hold the string up so that it is perpindicular to the top of the guitar. Then push the string down sharply. You don't have to use too much force, but a little bit. This will break the tension that the ball end of the string may be putting against the bridge pin. Usually if you can break this "lock" by quickly pushing the string down then you can easily remove the bridge pins.

Pliers wrapped with a napkin also works well. Also try pushing them out from the inside. Use a pick or a coin or something and push the pin out from inside the guitar. Use your other hand to brace the top of the guitar behind the bridge when you're pushing.

Here's a little guide with some methods and pictures also...

http://frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/SteelStrings/PullPin/pullpin.html
Quote by Silent Murder
Have you tried leverage?

bottom right is a little doo-dad to take out pins.

Edit: or try some pliers wrapped in something soft (so you don't damage the pins)

Those things are great. Best $2 I ever spent.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Quote by jimtaka

Also try pushing them out from the inside. Use a pick or a coin or something and push the pin out from inside the guitar. Use your other hand to brace the top of the guitar behind the bridge when you're pushing.

This is the only way I take out bridge pins. So much easier.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I found most of these could be helpful, but I was causing too much damage to the pins to be beneficial. I did retry getting them out from the inside. Instead of pushing, I tapped them. Is this harmful?