Hey UG community. I have a question regarding David Gilmour's techniqe used in many of his rythem playing. He'll play a couple chords, then scale up or down the neck. A couple examples are found in "Time":

2:50 mark:

---7/9--9--9\7--7\---|
---------------------|
---7/9--9--9\7--7\---|
---------------------|
---------------------|
---------------------|

5:02 mark:
------------------|
---7---5---3---2--|
------------------|
---7---5---4---2--|
------------------|
------------------|

I'm looking for the theory behind it, and all I can guess is striking "2 strings" of chords from the key of the song and just scaling down the neck with them. I want to recreate some of these sounds in my own writing.

Any explanations would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
gilmour was never trained in theory therefore he never used much of it
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by travs2448
gilmour was never trained in theory therefore he never used much of it

**** me that's funny!

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
It's just two notes played together and then he slides them around. It isn't a technique.

Of course it's a technique, you use techiques when you play the guitar. In the first example he is sliding to the notes. They are major 6th diads, if I'm not mistaken.
Last edited by Myshadow46_2 at Aug 3, 2009,
just because he maybe didn't know the terms for what he was doing, it was still theory
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Those intervals are all 6ths (all major 6ths with the exception of one). All Gilmour has done is taken a note of the key he is in and harmonised it with the note a sixth higher in the scale; it's an idea used a lot in country music.

I hope this has been helpful to you :-)
Quote by Myshadow46_2

Of course it's a technique, you use techiques when you play the guitar. In this case he's using slides.

He's playing a note and then moving to a different one.
This technique is called "playing the guitar"
As mentioned above, those are 6th intervals. You see a lot of it in blues music. 6th's are the inverse of 3rd intervals, which also sound good and are a common interval in double stops.
Quote by Myshadow46_2

Comon dude, you have to understand how stupid OPs question is.

It's just two notes that he sildes around, nothing more to it.
do you mean that you want to know how to play two notes on strings that arent next to eachother?
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Comon dude, you have to understand how stupid OPs question is.

It's just two notes that he sildes around, nothing more to it.

no, there is something to it. if you have nothing intelligent to contribute get your dumbass out of the thread.

as people have mentioned before, those are major 6th diads (diad being a two note "chord").

slash, page, hendrix, and clapton all have solos that use those too. They are really common among blues players. Basically, they are "fragments" of major and minor barre chords. just mess around with that shape in the key you are in and you'll be able to figure it out pretty easily. They just outline the chords of a scale.

so if you are in E minor you could do this.

e------------------------------------------------------
b--8--7---5---4---1---------------------------------
g------------------------------------------------------
d--9--7---5---4---2---------------------------------
a------------------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------------------
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Thanks for the input guys. Sorry about any errors in the OP - I was in a time crunch while writing it.
Quote by turtlewax
just because he maybe didn't know the terms for what he was doing, it was still theory

If you don't know theory, then you don't use theory.

You can't play theory. Theory is just a way to describe, study and plan what you play.

Theory can explain what he was playing, but that doesn't mean he was using theory.
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ