Page 1 of 2
Well yesterday was practically a "bad guitar" day as i would like to call em

I went to my uncles house and then my uncle took me to guitar center as I was playing I saw and heard some of the BEST guitarists I have heard in my life. There was a 8 to 10 year old kid rocking out to Metallica way better than I could and a kid my age(16) just rocking the crap out of a Line 6 spider valve with a really bad guitar. As I saw this I was just like... **** im not gonna make it big at all... And to make things worst I go home knowing that my guitar's floyd rose isnt setup so I'm trying to sell it in order to buy a new guitar.. and to make matters EVEN worse I have a little crappy MG30DFX amp

I've been playing guitar for three years and the best solo I ever gotten down was either Hotel California or The Trooper

Should I just quit on guitar and stop wasting so much money?
Best Guitarist Hands Down: Adrian Smith
Well you dont have to be the best, its not always a competition. How about playing guitar cause its fun. Hell, I have been playing for over 20 years, Im 32, and I know there is some 12 year old that would school my ass, but do I let it bother me, Hell no. There is always gonna be a TON of people that are better, just have fun with it.

BTW, Adrian Smith is nowhere close to being the best either.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
NEVER Quit.

And never compare yourself to anyone else.

If you enjoy it, you're fine.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
No don't worry, those little twats have been playing since they were young little mother****ers probably with pushy parents. Eveyrone learns at a different speed, keep at it bro, just keep practising and you will eventually get there. Good luck on the selling the guitar and getting a new one, although take it to a store if you can and get them to set it up for you. The amp.. Well see if you can sell it and buy something a little better.

Out of curiosity what was he playing exactly?
Last edited by Lollage123 at Aug 3, 2009,
I'm 15, and the best solo i can play is Fade To Black.

I'm not going to give up, i just switched to playing rhythm instead.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Are you taking lessons? How much do you practise? What do you know about music-theory? Are you a motivated guitarist on other days?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
play for you, not to be better than everyone else. just do it if you enjoy it. its about bringing yourself and your intensity into your playing and expressing yourself, not being the best player in the world.
To be exceedingly good at guitar takes a lot of motivation and dedication. If your sole purpose is to make it big you will find it hard to motivate yourself. You have to play because you love it. If you enjoy it it doesn't matter if you make it big as you are having fun while you try.
Music has never been about technique.

You can write the easiest song in the world if you like, if it sounds good, its a good song. end o story.

look at all the classic metal tunes from the 80s. power chord fests and simplistic solos... but great music.
don`t quit, i`ve been playing 22 years and have on occasion heard younger players play excellently so what if your not going to be famous. if you got into playing to be famous then your playing for the wrong reason, there are hundreds of millions of players worldwide that will never be famous not because they can`t play but because only a select few get selected, i play primarily for the enjoyment it gives me and then i`ve got my teaching and occasionally some sessions writing for tv and then there`s jam nights.

find other peeps to play with you.

you will only get out of it what you put in.

chin up stop judging yourself and play the guitar and learn a song that`ll make you smile
Quote by m_esparza09
snip

You aren't gonna make it big, no one does, and if that's your reason for playing, yeah, give up and stop polluting the artistry of guitar.

Guitar isn't a competition, it's not about who's best or who's worse. Maybe you're not that technically proficient at guitar, that's not a big deal. Kurt Cobain wasn't very technically proficient either, but his ability to compose great songs is what made him a good guitar player.

Play for yourself, being an artist isn't about pleasing other people, it's about performing and creating pieces you can be proud of. Play for yourself, create stuff you find interesting. Anyways, composing minimalist music that almost anyone can play is just as difficult as composing busy music only virtuosos can perform.

TL;DR: Play punk rock.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Aug 3, 2009,
Dude i can totally relate to you. i often just want to stop playing. but then i learn something new and then i keep going for a bit until i break down and cry again.
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
I've said it a million times: It doesn't matter how complicated your playing is, it just has to soung cool. Angus Young and Slash have sold kajillions of records, and Steve Vai and Satch can only dream of selling as many. A friend of mine plays thru a Behringer Amp and Cab with a cheap Ibanez and gets a killer sound out of his rig. He just plays, and doesn't give a fukk about image.
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
oh and someone else saying you're good helps, so record summat and give it to sum1, or take any oppurtunity to play live
Quote by Tay-ron
go listen to the sound of grass growing. then play it.
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||||| My Music
||||||||||||||
|||||||||||
|||||||||
|||||||
||||||
|||||
||||
|||
||
|
Quote by Lollage123
No don't worry, those little twats have been playing since they were young little mother****ers probably with pushy parents. Eveyrone learns at a different speed, keep at it bro, just keep practising and you will eventually get there. Good luck on the selling the guitar and getting a new one, although take it to a store if you can and get them to set it up for you. The amp.. Well see if you can sell it and buy something a little better.

Out of curiosity what was he playing exactly?

Ibanez Rg350DX Black
Line 6 Spider III 75W
Quote by ibanezgod1973
don`t quit, i`ve been playing 22 years and have on occasion heard younger players play excellently so what if your not going to be famous. if you got into playing to be famous then your playing for the wrong reason, there are hundreds of millions of players worldwide that will never be famous not because they can`t play but because only a select few get selected, i play primarily for the enjoyment it gives me and then i`ve got my teaching and occasionally some sessions writing for tv and then there`s jam nights.

find other peeps to play with you.

you will only get out of it what you put in.

chin up stop judging yourself and play the guitar and learn a song that`ll make you smile

yeah.. i dont want to play to make it big

i want to play to have fun, to enjoy playing guitar with my twin bro and to hang out with my drummer, but I also have that 16 year old rock n roll star dream. I know its never going to happen but I just want to be able to go up on stage and know my guitar as if its my women.
As being a fan of Tom Morello:
Most of his playing is just about creating something that sounds cool, not something what is complicated as hell (besides some solos like in Know Your Enemy, Your Time Has Come, or the crazy **** he did live in the song Promenade). It doesn't take the speed of Michael Angelo Batio to make good music, just an own style and creativity.
Also look at guys like Angus Young: most of his playing is the same handful of chords all the time, but it sounds awesome everytime you hear it.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Well you mentioned 'making it big' and if that's really what you are most concerned about playing solos should be the last thing on your mind
Quote by JesusCrisp
Are you taking lessons? How much do you practise? What do you know about music-theory? Are you a motivated guitarist on other days?

i was taking lessons last summer for the whole summer once a week for 4 hours. I used to practice about 5 hours a day but i don't have any guitars right now. I don't know much about music theory except for the notes on my guitar neck the harmonic theory . I've never learned a single scale. Yeah I'm highly motivated on other days I'll walk (in school) from class to class and just listen to a song I love and even if I dont know how to play it I'll pretend I'm playing it on my left fingers just to try to hear/solve it. I really do love guitar its my passion and what keeps me off drugs.
Quote by m_esparza09
Ibanez Rg350DX Black
Line 6 Spider III 75W

He was probably asking about what song he was playing.

The kids you see shredding when they're 10 have talent. Their genes they inherited allow them to learn fast and play well. That's life. Just make your talent motivation, and be motivated to practice, forget about your gear, other people, etc.

Why haven't you set up your Floyd Rose? It's pretty simple, google it or download the Ibanez instruction manuals. It's all the same thing. My ibanez didn't come set up out the box, the frets were all uneven and I paid seventy precious pounds to get it sorted out, and it plays like a dream now.

Get motivated.
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
well....take it this way......as the way you were talking your not the "richest" person out there.... those lil snots are just overly spoiled lil sharts whos parents push and push thinking there so called "prodigy" child is gonna be the next jimmy paige.... so they go out and buy them million dollar equipment only so that when they grow up there gonna get tired of it and become some snot nosed lawyer who isnt happy and commits suicide by the age of 30 because there wife left him with all of his life savings for a man like YOU who actually had a heart for guitar. happy now? quick belly aching and go play because you love it!!
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
It's all about feeling man, I mean if it's no fun to play the guitar then stop. However, it's crazy to stop having fun because you heard some kid that was good. Don't think about making it big or that stuff, just play the way YOU want to play. Enjoy it cause it's fun, and don't treat it like your only career option.
When I was looking through the "pictures of mah rig" thread, I felt totally depressed (I also had a hangover, which didn't help) and wanted to quit. I learnt a new song that day, mastered a technique I wasn't very good at and felt awesome.

Try it, it feels good :]
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Let's put it this way; you don't have to be the best guitarist to get famous, but you have to be a good songwriter
Cam Sampbell's my hero
you must do what i have done: convince yourself you are better than everyone. That way, when someone says you suck you can unleash a string of swears and tell them they're just jealous of your virtuosity.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
I picked up a guitar because I wanted to study theory and play at my own pace, maybe write some music or something in the future.

Don't beat your self up because someone's better than you. Everyone learns at their own pace, I have a friend who's been playing less than I have, but right now he's better than me by miles (although he knows next to nothing of theory).

Bascially what i'm saying is, if i got aggrivated at that or something I would'a dropped my guitar and started writing a novel, but where's the fun?

Play at your own pace, whether you wanna write music or just play other songs, don't let anyone else sway YOUR opinion.

/mindless rambling
I hate it when one of my friends tells me I suck at guitar. Let those people be assholes, they'll understand one day. And don't even worry about other people, play for YOU.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Just because the kid can shred doesnt mean he has passion which is the most important part in any music. People love guitarists with passion whether they shred or not. Eric claptons nickname was slowhand, why? because his solos were passionate and emotionally inductive. Play like you mean it. You will never regret it.
~Defiant~
Quote by m_esparza09

I went to my uncles house and then my uncle took me to guitar center as I was playing I saw and heard some of the BEST guitarists I have heard in my life. There was a 8 to 10 year old kid rocking out to Metallica way better than I could and a kid my age(16) just rocking the crap out of a Line 6 spider valve with a really bad guitar. As I saw this I was just like... **** im not gonna make it big at all... And to make things worst I go home knowing that my guitar's floyd rose isnt setup so I'm trying to sell it in order to buy a new guitar.. and to make matters EVEN worse I have a little crappy MG30DFX amp

I've been playing guitar for three years and the best solo I ever gotten down was either Hotel California or The Trooper

don't worry about the kids, surely they don't have a life, they don't know what it feels to play the guitar, the just plcuk notes fast. you don't need to do that, you need to do that with feeling, and love what you do and what you play. it's easy to drop off, it's hard to go on. so go *******on adn never quit dude, playing guitar keeps me off drugs too
Broskie, you don't ask people this. It is not our desicsion, if you don't feel it. Well suit yourself. Best of luck, and keep it brutal
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Just quit, so I have less competition.

anyways what i found to be a great motivator or moral booster is to teach guitar to someone. Even if its like to your siblings or something. I volunteer for this guitar teaching thing and going there seriously makes me feel like i rock

but i dont
Quote by m_esparza09

The kid being better than isn't why you're not gonna make it big. The reason you won't make it big is because you think someone can "rock the crap" out of a Line 6 Spider.
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
Quote by STABxYOU
TL;DR: Play punk rock.

That made me laugh so ****ing hard.

Man don't even worry about it. You're not going to make it big even if you were good. Few ever do. I'm 16 as well and I have sat around GC hearing middle aged players playing crap on Gibson Les Pauls then buying them and 12 year olds rocking out on low level RG's. The point is if you want to get better practice or find an awesome teacher. I've been playing about 4 or 5 years and up till last summer I was almost utter crap. Then after school let out I decided to try some lessons for the summer, got a really cool teacher and stuck to it ever since. I've learned so much in this one year then I have in the past. If you want good gear, get a freaking job. I worked to get all of my gear and bought good stuff, when I don't want most of it (like now) and want a new sound, I sell on craigslist and get something else.

Whining isn't going to help. If you don't like playing guitar, give it up you won't succeed if you think you are rubbish and your playing will show it through your lack of confidence. If you truly enjoy playing then hell no, get a teacher or some practice and suit yourself up.

By the way if you want your guitar to work, look for a local music shop to set it up for you or figure out how to do it online.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
I'm 16, been playing for 3 years, and just know some acoustic and punk songs all the way through. No solos. Nothing.

I love playing though. I mean, sure I feel bad when I hear people that are better than me, but I know that with time, patience, work, and some lessons I'll be able to play covers of good stuff as well as make my own music.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Guitar isn't a race or a competition,it's a form of art and expression,which you should keep in mind at all times.It doesn't matter how good you are or how good someone else is,all that matters is the joy you feel playing the instrument.Nobody can pick up an instrument and become Hendrix or Petrucci overnight,it takes hard work,dedication,and a lot of practice.I used to be horrible at guitar,and not just for a couple months,I'm talking 2 or 3 years.I noticed this and started practicing more and separating my ego and preconceived notions about guitar from my playing, and I saw drastic improvements.Now I'm about 6 1/2 years in,and I'm good enough to play live and can play things I never dreamed of playing when I first picked up the instrument.Don't get depressed or put yourself in a negative mindset,it crushes your creativity and motivation and stops you from improving before you even begin.Stay positive,keep practicing,and don't give up....you'll be surprised with the results.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

look at some punk band guitarists all they do is power chords all day long and hell they made it big
Quote by BoL7z
look at some punk band guitarists all they do is power chords all day long and hell they made it big

You do realize there's lots of punk that's well beyond just power chords, right?

Like Propagandhi.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
You do realize there's lots of punk that's well beyond just power chords, right?

Like Propagandhi.

The solo in "back to the motor league" > Conventional opinions on punk music

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Page 1 of 2