Yeah i know pretty simple answered question but just wanna make sure before i do it...but take for example a 2X12 open back combo amp, can you just seal in a piece of good grade ply wood to the back?
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
yeah just put something to seal up the back. Make sure it's removable. Just screw it in. A word of warning: It will get a bit quieter and more compressed. Combos are usually open backed because they have low wattage ie 30 watts, and they need the sound to flow out through the back too. I mean, I guess the tone suffers (IMO), but they do it on purpose.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by heretic-clown
Yeah i know pretty simple answered question but just wanna make sure before i do it...but take for example a 2X12 open back combo amp, can you just seal in a piece of good grade ply wood to the back?
You can.

You might also ruin your amp that way.
Sometimes an open back serves 2 functions.
1 - To provide a larger volume of free air behind the speaker.
2 - To allow ventilation (cooling) to the electronics.

Choke off the ventilation (cooling) and your amp might overheat and fail. Seriously fail.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ok...so theres actually a valid reason to why alot of combos are opened back.... makes sense now.....so ill just abort the thought... thanks!
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by heretic-clown
ok...so theres actually a valid reason to why alot of combos are opened back.... makes sense now.....so ill just abort the thought... thanks!

i understand you. Closed back IMO sounds better. Just doesn't work too well with combos..
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
do a chambered back, seal the back but have some perforations in it.
------

Shwiggity.