Page 1 of 3
Battle of the bands at my highschool is not until March or April of 2010. I love metal and rock. Of course, everyone in my school likes Hip-Hop and Rap or **** that sounds like the following link(a ****ty band from my school...)
http://www.myspace.com/besidethethrone

Anyway.. I have been trying to come up with a set list that would be appealing to the entire crowd rather than just myself and friends who would be playing with me. I'm not sure if an original composition is required. We will do one anyway. 3-4 Song setlist with a 15 minute-ish time allotted.

So far I thought of..

Where Eagles Have Been - Wolfmother (Awesome mellow song)

Never There - Cake (Amazing, of course.)

Bad Things - Jace Everett (I know, I hate country too, but its the intro to 'True Blood')

Something from Blink 182?

Something from All Shall Perish? Maybe one of their instrumentals.

Just throw out ANY idea's. I need them.

Suggestions?!

Thanks.
You should have some originals in there.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDER

i suggest you take time to practice a large amount of songs seeing as you have about 8 months.
Don't bother appealing to the crowd. just play your asses off and blow them away. Play Painkiller.
Like punk the way it used to be? Deranged Youth Its like what Warped Tour should be!

Want to hear something mind-blowing? Pit O' Bodies Its like an amateur hypnotist plus the Spanish Inquisition!
What is mainstream Rock these days or something enjoyable for everyone? I have no idea... I like Dream Theatre and Mozart and All Shall Perish and August Burns Red and Cake...
obviously smells like teen spirit. it will win any high school competition
Clocks tick. Your days are numbered in low digits.
You look suspicious - suspect niggas is bitches,
Get chopped up, grade-A meat, somethin' delicious
Quote by parkourman1
Battle of the bands at my highschool is not until March or April of 2010. I love metal and rock. Of course, everyone in my school likes Hip-Hop and Rap or **** that sounds like the following link(a ****ty band from my school...)
http://www.myspace.com/besidethethrone

Anyway.. I have been trying to come up with a set list that would be appealing to the entire crowd rather than just myself and friends who would be playing with me. I'm not sure if an original composition is required. We will do one anyway. 3-4 Song setlist with a 15 minute-ish time allotted.

So far I thought of..

Bad Things - Jace Everett (I know, I hate country too, but its the intro to 'True Blood')

Something from Blink 182?

Something from All Shall Perish? Maybe one of their instrumentals.

Just throw out ANY idea's. I need them.

Suggestions?!

Thanks.

Nobody enjoys instrumentals.

Just cover whatever song has become a fad at the time of the concert. Its the easiest way to bridge the gap between musical styles.

But really, don't even bother. Beside The Throne is going to dominate.
If you play originals, I can tell you that your not gonna win if you play in a school's battle of the bands. That's something you do when you get out of school

And, play Guitar Hero songs, and everyone will think your a god. For Blink 182, play Dammit or All the Small Things, but Blink 182 is a very good idea since they have tons of fans. Metallica is always fun, and as long as you have a heavy tune on your list, its not necessary for it to be extremely mainstream, as long as its catchy, which is why I suggested Metallica. Try Seek and Destroy or Master of Puppets, since they're pretty familiar and easy to play.

Never play an instrumental at these things, the average MTV-fed high school teen can't sit through a song without lyrics
The problem with songs like Painkiller and The Trooper is the vocals. I would so do Painkiller though :p
Ditch the Wolfmother song. They're annoying. Add in some 70's/80's/90's song that everyone knows instead.

Here's a setlist suggestion since I guess you want one.

The Rock Show - Blink 182 (or something similar, fast and poppy)

The Cake song

Something original

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits (or substitute some other well-known/classic song, but don't to anything too cliche like Zeppelin or GnR or anything)
kill all humans
Quote by wyldething

Lawl! They didn't last year... They lost to a band that lasted 2 months and a band with ALL GIRLS. Which was hot. Ironically, Beside The Throne is the one with a record deal now. Ghey.
Quote by dhutton
inb4 i cum blood

if there's a ****load of white people play don't stop believing, it's the white national anthem

My band played Don't Stop Believin' at a picnic. Nobody sand.
RAZZLEFRAZZLE
Last edited by SoWrongItsMatt at Aug 3, 2009,
If you do Cake, you have to pick Shadow Stabbing, by far

and cover Ball And Chain by Social Distortion
Top 15:
Neutral Milk Hotel
Smashing Pumpkins
Placebo
Elliott Smith
Devendra Banhart
Pavement
Anberlin
Eve 6
The Clash
Imogen Heap
Ingrid Michaelson
Bayside
Minus The Bear
The Replacements
Bright Eyes/Conor Oberst
Quote by JT747
these dudes seriously have a record deal??

Yup. Don't know why or how. I haven't really heard about them except the drummer quit and the bassist has a 100% uptime on his period(lol).

I need more suggestions!
Quote by parkourman1
Yup. Don't know why or how. I haven't really heard about them except the drummer quit and the bassist has a 100% uptime on his period(lol).

I need more suggestions!

if you need inspiration just look at the top 100 chart. play whatever is popular, because that's the demographic you're reaching out for. if you're expecting to play what you like, and win, you're going to be let down. battle of the bands are very very stupid and subjective.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
So far...

I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Death Cab For Cutie (Win the chicks over with that one..)

Never There - Cake

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

Where Eagles Have Been - Wolfmother

Something from Blink 182 - Undecided, but anything works really...

Ooo. Devil Wears Prada is still popular I think. We could probably do a song there too.
Quote by parkourman1

Bah. Go with "The Distance" or "Short Skirt Long Jacket," since people will know them. And towards the end, throw in Mahna Mahna for good measure.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Miles of Machines- Jeff Loomis
Paganini's 5th Caprice- Niccolo Paganini
For the Love of God- Steve Vai
Scarified- Racer X
Go Off!- Cacophony

Some fun songs out there
you need something by lil wayne or ti in there to make it appeal to everyone.
now that i think about it, lollipop-framing hanley. SICK
Needs more Pantera! Perhaps Psycho Holiday or Shattered to blow their brains out.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Quote by wyldething

This^^^
Schecter Tempest Custom
Squier Jagmaster
Epiphone Les Paul Jr. (Modified)
Crafter D-8

DOD FX50-B > EHX Little Big Muff > Digitech Whammy 4 >
Dunlop Cry Baby > Zoom G3 > Boss DD-7 > Digitech Digiverb

Orange OR-15
Marshall Valvestate VS100
Well since your school likes rap and hip-hop, try doing a metal cover of a rap song.

Other than that, I'd recommend:

Killing In The Name - RATM
Walk - Pantera
The Distance or Never There - Cake
Dammit - Blink 182

You're not going to get anywhere by doing metal and stuff. Battle of the Bands is about how many people know the songs you play, not about how good you are. I know this from experience.
Quote by SG thrasher
Bums to the ground when rilakam's around.
Quote by parkourman1

funny you say that its a hell of a catchy song and one of my favorite tv shows
Quote by ShredGod George
yup, he does play an ibanez
a log with 6 pieces of yarn would be solid competition for it

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Kick it in the dick.

Snakes have dicks, right?
Quote by rilakam
Well since your school likes rap and hip-hop, try doing a metal cover of a rap song.

Other than that, I'd recommend:

Killing In The Name - RATM
Walk - Pantera
The Distance or Never There - Cake
Dammit - Blink 182

You're not going to get anywhere by doing metal and stuff. Battle of the Bands is about how many people know the songs you play, not about how good you are. I know this from experience.

Yeah those are exactly my thoughts.
Quote by electricdeath
funny you say that its a hell of a catchy song and one of my favorite tv shows

I despise country music. But that I love that song and True Blood is one of my favorite shows as well
play whatever it is that you and your band like and if you play well and have good stage presence the audience might see you have talent. it's high school so what you do for this show won't matter in a month from then anyway.
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Quote by Silence&Requiem
play whatever it is that you and your band like and if you play well and have good stage presence the audience might see you have talent. it's high school so what you do for this show won't matter in a month from then anyway.

See, I would play what I like. But since it doesn't matter and im in high school, you drop all sense of independence and play what makes you win. It's a cash prize to the local music store, i'd like some o that tbh.
Quote by parkourman1
See, I would play what I like. But since it doesn't matter and im in high school, you drop all sense of independence and play what makes you win. It's a cash prize to the local music store, i'd like some o that tbh.

ah, well since there's a prize involved that changes everything.

my only other suggestion would be to work on your stage presence cuz ive played some really ****ty gigs and had a good responce from the audience just cuz i got them involved and made them have fun
Is your name Mike? Do you want to be everyone's friend? Do you look similar to lots of other people? If so click here

Quote by LesPaulLeader08

Fucking win S&R!
Last edited by Silence&Requiem at Aug 3, 2009,
Jonas Brothers- Burnin Up.

Because that's what will be happening when you ruin the already horrid song and the fangirls come to burn down your house.
Quote by parkourman1

Get rid of all of the songs but the good ones, and play them more then once...

BUT BACKWARDS!!!!

That'll impress people.
Just saying, the band from your school is pretty decent. Generic as far as the genre goes but its not half bad
If i could, id change my user name!
Page 1 of 3