Hi all,
is it okay when I hit the strings with my thumb when I'm picking or should I practice slowly and try to don't hit the strings with my thumb?

btw i don't know but.. i think my picking hand is worse at the moment than it ever was...
As an example when I'm playing Riffs, my picking hand isn't the maintime on the Bridge, i think i have an attack that is maybe too strong...

thanks!
thats how you get a pinch harmonic, so you should really practice your normal playing and make sure you arent raking your thumb on the strings
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
yeah picking hand is always a pain in the ass , seek advice form a teacher or something..
i scream for ice cream
Does it hurt when you do it?
Does it change the sound of the notes?

If not, its probably less of an issue, but I suggest moving your grip on the pick so that its further away from the strings.

Do you mean the end of your thumb, or along the side? If its along the side it might be the angle of your hand...but I cant say without seeing/hearing it.
I have a Teacher and he says that's not a bad thing if it doesn't sounds bad.
He says his thumb make that too, and he can shred like Paul gilbert hehe...
But i wasn't sure if it's wrong or false now.
No when i do Pinch harmonics i hold the Pick other, i think i don't hold it short.
Pinch Harmonics aren't a problem
Quote by chainsawguitar
Does it hurt when you do it?
Does it change the sound of the notes?

If not, its probably less of an issue, but I suggest moving your grip on the pick so that its further away from the strings.

Do you mean the end of your thumb, or along the side? If its along the side it might be the angle of your hand...but I cant say without seeing/hearing it.

No it doesn't hurt.
The Sound is IMO still awesome.

It happens along the side on the thumb.
Quote by compin
No it doesn't hurt.
The Sound is IMO still awesome.

It happens along the side on the thumb.

I do that when I play standing up, it's never really been a problem.
Carlos! Not at the table!

Quote by TSmitty6
funniest part of the show for me: everyone yells SLAYER, all the time. so this one dude goes up to the esspresso stand and yells LATTE!!!!!!! and the lady spilled the drink all over the customer.
Quote by compin
I have a Teacher and he says that's not a bad thing if it doesn't sounds bad.
He says his thumb make that too, and he can shred like Paul gilbert hehe...
But i wasn't sure if it's wrong or false now.
No when i do Pinch harmonics i hold the Pick other, i think i don't hold it short.
Pinch Harmonics aren't a problem

hehe well I am a teacher myself and If it doesnt hurt or affect the sound, I'm agreeing with your teacher on this one...

...teacher power!

Alright, that's good

But i think i have an another problem:
let's say i play this riff in Drop C:

G||-5--------5--------8---7--10---8-
C||-- -000-----000----0---0---0---0

(0's are Palm Muted)

When i play the None-muted G string, my Picking hand is going away from all strings, but i think that is wrong.
When i going from the low C to G isn't the right way that i let the Palm always on the low C string and make minimal movements that i can hit the G string?

Thanks.
Last edited by compin at Aug 3, 2009,
Again, I do the same thing with the palm muting thing. Ask your teacher, I thought it was a normal thing to do.
Carlos! Not at the table!

Quote by TSmitty6
funniest part of the show for me: everyone yells SLAYER, all the time. so this one dude goes up to the esspresso stand and yells LATTE!!!!!!! and the lady spilled the drink all over the customer.
Okay thanks, I hope my Picking hand will be become what it was, I think I practiced not much the last time as I practiced when i startet Guitar