This is going to sound a little ridiculous at first, but bear with me.

I am a left handed bassist that requires a 5 string bass.

I'm looking to get a "Rickenbacker sound", but they don't make left handed 5 string Rickys. Any tips on how to get that sound without actually having a Ricky.

Let's say, within $1300 to $1800 dollar range.
Quote by Syris
This is going to sound a little ridiculous at first, but bear with me.

I am a left handed bassist that requires a 5 string bass.

I'm looking to get a "Rickenbacker sound", but they don't make left handed 5 string Rickys. Any tips on how to get that sound without actually having a Ricky.

Let's say, within $1300 to $1800 dollar range.

Nope

Flip the strings on a real Rick, its the only way.
Getting a Rickenbacker sound with another bass is very hard. At the end of the day, only a Rick sounds like a Rick. All else is pale imitation.
flip it
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Build your own
Luna Andromeda dragon bass
Schecter Omen Extreme
Fender strat
Fender Labrea electic/acoustic
Peavey tour 450
Peavey tour 410/115
Galien-kruger Backline 600
Black Heart BH15h
Gibson Les Paul gold top (Knock off)
Quote by roaddawg07
Build your own

most sensible solution thus far.

just needs maple, a good rickenbacker pickup to copy, and the hardware.

oh, and finish.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by roaddawg07
Build your own

I tried to think of anything to help, and i could not come up with this I'm really not on the ball today..
Try adding more delay.
Good luck with the building of an all-maple neckthru bass + finishing the rosewood (or is it pau?) fretboard. That, or good luck convincing me that they have no impact on tone.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Good luck with the building of an all-maple neckthru bass + finishing the rosewood (or is it pau?) fretboard. That, or good luck convincing me that they have no impact on tone.

THEY HAVE NO IMPACT ON TONE!!!

Anyway, back to sensibleness. I think the only way would be going custom. You could possibly find a local luthier to make you one, & put in some of those Bartolini Rick pickups, other than that, you don't stand a chance.
Quote by thefitz
the rosewood (or is it pau?) fretboard.

Bubinga, actually.

Here's what I think:
Get a 5 string rick (rare, but they made some in the 90's IIRC) and flip it Hendrix style

OR

Buy some rick pups on Ebay, find a 5er with small string spacing and at least similar woods, install the pickups, and hope for the best

OR

Do the same as the last option, but with a custom/homemade body, neck, etc. Warmoth would be great for this. It won't be neck through, but everything else will be right

If you can't find a bass with the right string spacing, use the brightest, growliest passive single coils you can find. It won't be perfect, but 99% of people cannot tell the difference. If you do that but its truly too different for you, run it through an eq pedal it make up for the difference.

OR

Extensive tweaking. It took about 45 minutes, but I got my Spector to sound about 60% there with just the onboard controls. And thats good enough IMO, becuase the audiance won't know the difference
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Quote by Slay 'Em
Don't even try to say it sounds any different...

There are a lot more variables to the sound than one knob.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think