To start off, I WANT to become a good guitar player. It's one of my dreams. But for some reason, I always find myself not practicing, always telling myself that "You'll do it later", but later never comes. I really want to get motivated, and to get practicing. Any tips?
Sounds kinda shallow, but buying a new pedal, amp, or guitar always seems to be fun and help motivate.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
dude have u seen the chicks guitar gods get????? isnt that motivation enough?
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Play without practicing alot to begin with. Find that inner spark for your music. Then, when the spark is lit, your playing while in time become more and more organized towards practise.
Listen to some inspiring music. If I get in a rut, I listen to some Dream Theater and Opeth.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
To starty with practice by learning easy songs that you like, but with chords you don;t kno yet. This way you are learning new chords, but you are also learning a song which is more interesting than just learning chords by themselves, and because i is a song you like, it should make you be more motivated. Works for my students, and then I ween them off that onto the heavier things like notes on the neck, theory etc.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
To starty with practice by learning easy songs that you like, but with chords you don;t kno yet. This way you are learning new chords, but you are also learning a song which is more interesting than just learning chords by themselves, and because i is a song you like, it should make you be more motivated. Works for my students, and then I ween them off that onto the heavier things like notes on the neck, theory etc.

thats how i learned, i tought myself so i would just play songs that were simple and as i learned songs i learned new techniques
Quote by Kevy Absolution
Sounds kinda shallow, but buying a new pedal, amp, or guitar always seems to be fun and help motivate.

+123132

I use to practice for like 7 - 9 hours a day when I first got my set up. I was the happiest kid ever but now I just play for like 1 - 2 hours because I wasn't happy with my gear. It wasn't getting me pumped to play anymore because it didn't deliver the sound I wanted. I sold my guitar and amp last week to add to my guitar fund. By next week, i will be back on the horse again and get back to my old self with my new rig I hope...
Quote by taylort36
thats how i learned, i tought myself so i would just play songs that were simple and as i learned songs i learned new techniques

Ok, so you learnt that, but what about the theory side? Are you continuing to challenge yourself?

Well I would recommend finding a good teacher. I taught myself for 18 months, chords, barre chords, minor pentatonics, but then I started taking lessons at the local conservatorium, and my playing and knowledge have increased by 500%, no kidding, in two years! I always come home fired to practice, cause each time i go to lessons i learn new stuff and get challenged, and I would suggest that this is what you need.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP
Ok, so you learnt that, but what about the theory side? Are you continuing to challenge yourself?

Well I would recommend finding a good teacher. I taught myself for 18 months, chords, barre chords, minor pentatonics, but then I started taking lessons at the local conservatorium, and my playing and knowledge have increased by 500%, no kidding, in two years! I always come home fired to practice, cause each time i go to lessons i learn new stuff and get challenged, and I would suggest that this is what you need.

Yea, you should do this.

A new pedal or something would help, cause a good sound will motivate you more.
What I like to do is to find something completely obscure and play around with that for a while; like seeing how many strange noises you can make, or do some interesting theory like learning the Byzantine scale, or see if you can come up with your own guitar technique and give it a name. Those are just suggestions, but if you go and look for something unusual it helps to keep your guitar flame alive.
Quote by HendrixClaptonP

This, beacuse then you might learn something like an intersting scale and be motivated to play with it and improvise with it. That's what happened to me.