Page 1 of 3
Ok, so i've been looking to buy a Les Paul type of guitar.
Only problem is that i really don't know what would be the best type out there.
I mean, could someone explain the whole epiphone vs tokai vs gibson vs edwards vs any other gibson Les Paul copies?
And what would be the ideal year for any of those copies?
I'm looking to spend up to $2000 (give or take a bit) and it'd be awesome if someone could kindly explain all this

Right now i've been looking at that Edwards Jimmy Page reliced (if it wasn't for it being relic'd it be 4x more awesome) replica guitar. seems pretty solid!

so, if someone could explain the whole Les Paul business to me, i'd be really, really happy
"My name is Forrest, Forrest Gump. People call me Forrest Gump"
If you have $2,000 I say get a used les paul custom, a high end tokai, a esp standard, or a les paul traditional.
You have $2000!!!!???? Why would you settle for anything less than a Gibson?????? I have a low end Gibson Studio Les Paul and it plays better than anything you are talking about.
just get a gibson standard.

epiphone is owned by gibson - they are the low end guitars

imitators are imitators

there's a difference between Les Pauls and Les Paul shaped guitars
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by darkcheef
If you have $2,000 I say get a used les paul custom, a high end tokai, a esp standard, or a les paul traditional.

I second this, particularly since now the Traditional's have coil-splitting.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I'd say get a Standard but I'm partial to Gibson Les Paul Standards.
i've played some tokai's and they are pretty darn good for the price.

though, buying used usually isn't that bad either. a gibson lp custom used could go for a good 1500+, right in your price range.
Member #40 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join.
alright, when i said LP shaped I basically meant anything that was a les paul xD
anyway, i have 2000, but i've heard alot of bad stuff about gibson now-a-days. and that copies are better. at least what i've heard. and it'd be awesome if i didn't need to the 2000, maybe only use a 1000, and use the other 1000 on something else
Most of the people who say Gibson is no good these days are biased against Gibson. I'm sure there are less than perfect examples of Gibson's and I'm sure a lot of them are heresay. The copies are just that. Copies. I bet there are very nice ones too. But a Les Paul is a Gibson and only a Gibson. If you want a Les Paul style guitar, then check the other brands. I wanted a Les Paul so I saved up and got one. I bought it new in 1995 and I have loved it ever since and alomost 15 years later I wouldn't trade it for anything else.
well, the thing for me, is that i don't really give about the name printed on the headstock, i'm all about tone. and i'd like to find the best Les Paul I can find for under 2000. If it says gibson or anything else, I wouldn't really give a rat's ass
Quote by giiii
well, the thing for me, is that i don't really give about the name printed on the headstock, i'm all about tone. and i'd like to find the best Les Paul I can find for under 2000. If it says gibson or anything else, I wouldn't really give a rat's ass

www.warmoth.com

If you can build and solder, then these guys will make you a Les Paul kit to your exact specs.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
I second the used custom or standard!! You will not be disappointed. Maybe a set up and a new nut but thats it. The Custom want have either problem. Shouldn't at least
Alright.. thanks everyone!
SO, by all the replies, it seems that Gibson make the best LP's?
buy a high end epi and do a pickup swap. use the remaining money for w/e u damn well please. get a case, other mods and such...or just get a gibson les paul traditional
Save Gibson

^Do it, if you want Gibson to stop with the poor QC and terrible new guitars...
If you are playing anything heavier than rock, i recommend the ESP Eclipse.
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Thanks for the recomendation, but I know what I want is a Les Paul, and I'm just looking for the best out there, with a good bang:buck ratio.
People here are mostly set on Gibson, but I wouldn't want one if I could pay 1000 less to not have the Gibson logo and still have the same tone.^^
I've always had a soft spot for the PRS Singlecut which are pretty much styled LP wise but play a fair amount different.
Wow not a lot of Gibson hate.

I like the traditionals but given the choice of a Custom, Standard, and a Traditional I'd have a tough tough time deciding. Outside Gibson at that price-range there is NO comparison. People saying go Scheter or ESP for the metal LP users or PRS and Tokai for blues/classic rock really have nothing on Gibson if you spend the money for a Standard/Custom/Traditional.

Trads do sound like beefier teles when coil split though, from the couple I've tried. If you like teles as well as classic LP sounds or just like the coil splitting standard, trads are good.
I would SO flame you if I didn't have a warning... Anyways:
Make sure what you want is a Les Paul. I had my heart set on one before even playing it and I decided that IN MY OPINION *raise flameshields* they are the worst, crappiest guitars ever. They are pretty heavy and don't make up for it with extraordinary sound or anything (by the way I tried from a studio to a $5000 custom). So don't get a Les Paul because they're popular, get a guitar that suits your playing.

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

^^^ Just a question zoso, What music do you play and are you fairly muscular?

With certain kinds of music, from metal to jazz to blues in certain forms, you don't want the Les Paul tone. Other kinds prefer it for the sustain and mellow approach to everything. It became famous for those smooth and long tones.

I own a very kick ass studio (I tried one that was like jizz yourself good, and got lucky as this was before I knew they had bad raps) and its' deep, its' mellow, handles very low gain systems like mine (tubescreamer only) extremely well and adds a little crunch, and can allow you to write songs jams with long notes droning over a riff. People can not like that, but you have to recognize the LP is best at what it does in optimal situations (mellow cleans, light crunch distortion, and long sustain with great tuning stability).

Again, not bashing you I'm just curious as to why your opinion is the way it is.
Get a Gibson, but try a few first. No two guitars are the same, especially with Gibson because they're all handmade. Some feel amazing, some feel mediocre, so don't buy online and make sure you try a few of the model you want.
Schecter solo-6 classic. They're lighter than a Gibson lp and play better and sound about the same. Ad you'll have a lot of money to upgrade pickups or buy a new amp or what-not.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
alrgiht, thanks for the advice.

Epiphone Pee Wee Les Paul....it's endorsed by SLASH SO IT MUST BE GOOOD!!1!1

Lol
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Quote by danohat
This should be fun. Cue the Gibson haters.

lol. I am not against Gibsons. I like the SG- but I find les pauls are too heavy and awkward for me. My ESP EC-500 has got the les paul shape but it's much lighter and I love the emgs. No hate, just preference here.
Quote by dimarzio77
You have $2000!!!!???? Why would you settle for anything less than a Gibson?????? I have a low end Gibson Studio Les Paul and it plays better than anything you are talking about.

anyway:

I hear you about the relic-ed edwardses. I don't like relics either, and that does narrow down your options on the nicer edwardses.

Word on the street is that edwardses are started off in china, then finished in japan. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/43888-edwards-guitars-whole-story-more.html

if you don't want a relic, you probably want to stick to the lacquer taste series. They'll hold their own against most non-custom shop gibsons- any i've tried, anyway. especially if you upgrade the electronics (pots, caps, etc.).

tokai- if you want something which will compete with a gibson, you want to be looking at the japanese ones. there's a range of models going from about $800 to as much if not more than a custom shop gibson. i *think* the ls 150 is where they start getting really good i.e. gibson start getting really worried, but don't quote me on that. the late 70s/early 80s ones are meant to be the best, but it does mean going second-hand with all its inherent risks. You also have the other japanese brands like greco, burny etc. I haven't tried them, though.

epiphone: i wouldn't bother unless you can find a japanese-made one. Or an orville by gibson or something like that.

navigator: expensive, haven't tried them, meant to be great.

bacchus: ditto navigator, but not as expensive. i think sonix are also made by bacchus, so are also probably worth a look.

then gibson is always an option as you're in the states and they're generally slightly better value.

heritage would be worth a look too, made by ex-gibson employees in the old gibson plant (i think).

Up to you, really, it's your money and you have to make your choice.

Quote by danohat
Most of the people who say Gibson is no good these days are biased against Gibson. I'm sure there are less than perfect examples of Gibson's and I'm sure a lot of them are heresay. The copies are just that. Copies. I bet there are very nice ones too. But a Les Paul is a Gibson and only a Gibson. If you want a Les Paul style guitar, then check the other brands. I wanted a Les Paul so I saved up and got one. I bought it new in 1995 and I have loved it ever since and alomost 15 years later I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

and i bet you're not biased in favour of gibson? gimme a break. I've tried higher-end tokais which would embarass gibsons- certainly non-custom shop gibsons. i tried a tokai at the £1000 mark (not sure of the model, it was reliced, though), and it was so much nicer than the gibson classic antique i tried on the same day, which was £300 more expensive, that it wasn't even funny. It was like the difference between an epi and a gibson.

And you could argue that gibsons are little more than copies nowadays, too, because:

- they're not made in the same factory, by the same people, as the classic ones
- they're made in a different state, FFS
- they're not owned by the same people
- they don't have the same specs as the classic ones

Quote by giiii

that is sensible logic. it might be hard to try a lot of the japanese stuff considering you're in the states, and that'll make it harder to decide, unfortunately.

Quote by manhangi
PRS and Tokai for blues/classic rock really have nothing on Gibson if you spend the money for a Standard/Custom/Traditional.

how many tokais have you tried? you're aware that they have models costing more than the gibson custom shop models with more historically-accurate specs than gibson's custom shop, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by giiii
If you're that serious about tone and you have the scratch to buy a really nice Les Paul or LP-type guitar, you should spend more time auditioning the guitars you mentioned, through the same tube amp you have or plan to buy, over several days.

There are hundreds of threads about your questions and none of them should matter when you're hunting for your tone.

^ definitely. and if the best-sounding and playing one you find is a gibson, by all means buy a gibson. You just have to get out of the mindset that if you have the money for a gibson, that you buy a gibson, because there are so many more options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Perhaps look into a custom Carvin CS guitar.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I'd hit up a nice high end Japanese made LP replica. My personal choice is probably Tokai. If you got a top of the line Tokai, you'd be in heaven, my friend.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
thank you, all of you I guess the Tokai LS150 seems pretty decent, it's just a bitch to get to try it out. oh well, I'll just use some time to think all of this through.

Get a Eclipse FT, some guy on the ESP forum compared one with his Gibson Standard and the difference was basically zero.
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
I'm gonna push hard for Carvin and Warmoth on this one,since they offer the most customization options and are very high quality guitars.If you have no problem assembling a guitar then you could get an absolutely decked out custom LP from Warmoth for your budget,and the same goes with Carvin.Carvin LP models are nice because they eliminate the monster heel that Gibby models are known for and offer a wide variety of options such as FR bridges,Piezo saddles,and SS frets.They're also USA made and come with a 10 day money back guarantee,which means you don't have to worry about getting burned if you end up not liking your guitar.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by TERU
Get a Eclipse FT, some guy on the ESP forum compared one with his Gibson Standard and the difference was basically zero.

Do you have a link to that?
Quote by danohat
This should be fun. Cue the Gibson haters.

And fanbois.

Personally, I'd suggest trying a Hagstrom Swede, they feel pretty amazing.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I'd never buy a les paul traditional.

For $2000, I'd see if I couldn't scope out a used G0. Far better than any of these other suggestions.
^ G0? is that one of the CS reissues?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have a 2004 epi les paul standard..which is my main guitar, i love it to death.
My buddy has a gibson les paul, very nice looking..he will tell you himself my epiphone sounds and plays better then his gibson. Not saying anything bad about gibson, if i had the money I would deffintly buy one, (even though the name is the only reason they are so expensive..)
Maybe i got lucky with my epiphone, maybe not..either way, i got a great sounding and feeling guitar for about 2000$ less then a gibson..ive been playing it steady everyday for the last 4 years and i have NEVER had a problem with it. In my opinion there are some epiphones that are just as good quality or even better then some gibsons.
Quote by MetalMayham666
I have a 2004 epi les paul standard..which is my main guitar, i love it to death.
My buddy has a gibson les paul, very nice looking..he will tell you himself my epiphone sounds and plays better then his gibson. Not saying anything bad about gibson, if i had the money I would deffintly buy one, (even though the name is the only reason they are so expensive..)
Maybe i got lucky with my epiphone, maybe not..either way, i got a great sounding and feeling guitar for about 2000$ less then a gibson..ive been playing it steady everyday for the last 4 years and i have NEVER had a problem with it. In my opinion there are some epiphones that are just as good quality or even better then some gibsons.

Yeah,they're called the elitist series

*Runs away before a rabid Gibby fan bites him*

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Page 1 of 3