Hi all,

First thread about asking for help and sorry if this is in the wrong place, If a mod would like to move it or not but I'm just really intrested... My bands vocalist quit and I've been asked to fill the void as I can play both guitar and sing but the problem is (I'm told) I sound too much like James Hetfield, his growls and the way he ends every sentence in a song.

If I did become permanent, would this be a problem in the long run...would I get in trouble legally for sounding too much like someone, My voice has sounded like that as long as I can remember especially way before i even heard Hetfield or Metallica in fact, so your opinions?

plus, I don't want people thinking we are a cover band.
No legal issues there.

If you WANT to sound exactly like someone else, there is no law saying you can't. (assuming your not playing their songs and claiming them as your own)

Whether you should or not is up to you.
shred is gaudy music
no way, you can't get any legal problems for sounding too much like another artist... as long as you don't copy his songs, melodies etc... everything is fine
Zomg That Guy Is An Yngwie Clonzorz!!1!

Bet He Iz Teh Fatnezz 2 !!!!1!
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
No you won't, but IMO Metallica's vocals aren't that great.

What I did to diversify my voice and vox a little bit is training from vocalists of many different genres/styles. Even if my range isn't quite there yet.

Eventually, my voice kind of adjusted to what I felt was right. Sometimes I'll do power metal-esque singing, then mix it with some growls and maybe some emocore screams and yells (talk-singing in particular).

Once you conquer a few different vocal styles (or get a handle on them), turn on one of your favorite songs, but don't sing it exactly - try and change your vox to fit what YOU think the feel of the song is. To elaborate, try singing at some parts instead of yelling, or screaming instead of singing at 'happy' parts. Mess with your range, instead of sing high, sing low, or the opposite. Whatever YOU feel.

If screaming and growling ain't your thing, then I guess work on different types of singing and trying to get familiar with your different vocal registers (like falsetto). Improve on your lower range as well as your higher range.

This might be a totally useless post. I'm just rambling. But I hope it helps you.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by Dregen
No you won't, but IMO Metallica's vocals aren't that great.

What I did to diversify my voice and vox a little bit is training from vocalists of many different genres/styles. Even if my range isn't quite there yet.

Eventually, my voice kind of adjusted to what I felt was right. Sometimes I'll do power metal-esque singing, then mix it with some growls and maybe some emocore screams and yells.

Once you conquer a few different vocal styles, turn on one of your favorite songs, but don't sing it exactly - try and change your vox to fit what YOU think the feel of the song is.

This might be a totally useless post. I'm just rambling. But I hope it helps you.

Hmmm... Very helpful post mate, cheers.

I was thinking about doing that, It's alot harder for me... Haven't a clue about the singing side of things but have been told that I sound alot like him which I did take as a compliment I guess because I haven't really sung before.

I've tried to get the James Hetfield vocals and mix them with the likes of Bruce Dickinson, Johnny Cash and a few other artists to see what I'd get, I guess Ile give it ago...thanks for the help and thanks for the information on the legal issues guys

Ain't got a clue what ExtremeMetalFTW is on about mind you
Quote by DamagedLegion

I was thinking about doing that, It's alot harder for me... Haven't a clue about the singing side of things but have been told that I sound alot like him which I did take as a compliment I guess because I haven't really sung before.

I've tried to get the James Hetfield vocals and mix them with the likes of Bruce Dickinson, Johnny Cash and a few other artists to see what I'd get, I guess Ile give it ago...thanks for the help and thanks for the information on the legal issues guys

It's a statement on how people tend to react when somebody sounds like somebody else.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by DamagedLegion

Check the post you quoted again, I made some edits.

And I didn't have a clue about singing when I started either. You just have to work on it for a bit, and you'll get familiar with how your own voice works.
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
It's a statement on how people tend to react when somebody sounds like somebody else.

Ah ok

Check the post you quoted again, I made some edits.

And I didn't have a clue about singing when I started either. You just have to work on it for a bit, and you'll get familiar with how your own voice works.

Yeah... I see what you mean, I can do growls but screams I'm no good, The voice always seems to crack half way through but I've already noted that down on something to work on.

When did you start really learning how to sing then mate? just out of curiosity.

When you put it this way, I thought it was rather good to sound like someone as big as James Hetfield but meh, after listening to Godsmack...It's better to be more original.
Last edited by DamagedLegion at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by DamagedLegion
Hi all,

First thread about asking for help and sorry if this is in the wrong place, If a mod would like to move it or not but I'm just really intrested... My bands vocalist quit and I've been asked to fill the void as I can play both guitar and sing but the problem is (I'm told) I sound too much like James Hetfield, his growls and the way he ends every sentence in a song.

If I did become permanent, would this be a problem in the long run...would I get in trouble legally for sounding too much like someone, My voice has sounded like that as long as I can remember especially way before i even heard Hetfield or Metallica in fact, so your opinions?

plus, I don't want people thinking we are a cover band.

No youre fine. Dream Theater has done almost exact copies of metallicas songs complete with hetfeild imitations and they haven't been sued.
Holy crap.... that sounds like a total recipe for vocal cord damage. I think it has *all* the ingredients:

-sing from the throat
-be loud
-push air out with force, using diaphragm like you're taking a crap

Really.... I'm not sure if I can think of anything else on the "How can I completely wreck my voice as fast as possible" checklist.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
^ It does sound cool on rare occasions though ^________^

this does not make it okay to ruin your vocal chords..
Quote by axemanchris
Holy crap.... that sounds like a total recipe for vocal cord damage. I think it has *all* the ingredients:

-sing from the throat
-be loud
-push air out with force, using diaphragm like you're taking a crap

Really.... I'm not sure if I can think of anything else on the "How can I completely wreck my voice as fast as possible" checklist.

CT

Hold on. I thought that throat meant your talking voice?

I didn't say to be loud but after reading my post again, I didn't make it clear enough.

And for the pushing the air out of the diaphragm, I was watching the Melissa Cross video and it said to do that?

Am I screaming wrong?

I feel genuinely embarrassed that I posted that.

EDIT: I deleted my post so I don't misinform TS.
Last edited by Dregen at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by Dregen
Eventually, my voice kind of adjusted to what I felt was right. Sometimes I'll do power metal-esque singing, then mix it with some growls and maybe some emocore screams and yells (talk-singing in particular).

I would seriously hate to hear the exercises for these.

I know little about screaming/growling, but shouldn't you first learn the basics of singing (scales, breathing etc) before you attempt to sound like the latest thrash band? If you try to imitate those techniques you'll end up with a sore throat, and that's no fun for yourself or the listener. I started singing trying to imitate my favourite singers which ended in a massive public performance fail and lives forever on youtube.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Dregen
Hold on. I thought that throat meant your talking voice?

It can, but it just generally refers to sound that is produced with the throat 'closed' instead of 'open.'

Quote by Dregen

And for the pushing the air out of the diaphragm, I was watching the Melissa Cross video and it said to do that?

The diaphragm is not for pushing. It is for controlling how quickly the lungs return to their regular 'neutral' position, as assisted by the intercostal muscles. You want to maintain your breath support. Think of a car.... unless you're drag racing, you don't want to burn all your fuel in two seconds flat. You want to be able to maintain your power and projection over a period of time. That, and forcing air out from the lungs and over the vocal cords really is a recipe for disaster.

Check this for a little more on the diaphragm. It's the fourth paragraph called "the hold of the breath."

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

Quote by Dregen

I feel genuinely embarrassed that I posted that.

EDIT: I deleted my post so I don't misinform TS.

You know what.... there is SO much bad information out there about singing... this is why we're here - to discuss and share. My favourite example of bad advice is the whole 'drop your jaw' thing. Try it for a sec.... where do you feel tension? In your throat? Isn't that the *worst* place to feel tension for a singer?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
It can, but it just generally refers to sound that is produced with the throat 'closed' instead of 'open.'

Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it specifically meant parts of your throat.

The diaphragm is not for pushing. It is for controlling how quickly the lungs return to their regular 'neutral' position, as assisted by the intercostal muscles. You want to maintain your breath support. Think of a car.... unless you're drag racing, you don't want to burn all your fuel in two seconds flat. You want to be able to maintain your power and projection over a period of time. That, and forcing air out from the lungs and over the vocal cords really is a recipe for disaster.

Check this for a little more on the diaphragm. It's the fourth paragraph called "the hold of the breath."

http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

Never knew that. I'm looking at the link you provided as I type this and it looks interesting. Looks like I should listen to more opera.

You know what.... there is SO much bad information out there about singing... this is why we're here - to discuss and share. My favourite example of bad advice is the whole 'drop your jaw' thing. Try it for a sec.... where do you feel tension? In your throat? Isn't that the *worst* place to feel tension for a singer?

CT

Haha, I actually tried that and I do feel the tension - lots of it, actually.

Thank you for the information you provided, I guess it is true that a person doesn't go a day without learning something.