First of all I'm wondering why everyone is saying not to anchor. My guitar teacher taught me that anchoring your hand by the bridge made it easier to palm mute.

Secondly, when playing my guitar I put my pinky on the side of EMG bridge pickup. Would this be considered anchoring? It seems like it would be, but I just want to make sure.

Finally, since I thought I was anchoring I decided to try playing without putting my pinky down. The results were my hand going numb after about 10-15 seconds and then later my wrist hurting. so does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks for the help
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Resting your hand on the bridge is normal, sticking your pinky on the pickup is a bad anchoring habit.
Quote by bnull24
Resting your hand on the bridge is normal, sticking your pinky on the pickup is a bad anchoring habit.

That all depends.

If he is keeping his palm in a fixed place to pick fast, it will cause stress on your wrist, and it's more noticeable.

If you're just wresting it there to palm mute, then it's fine.
I would say anchoring would be primarily bad because it can take away the "fluidness" of your playing. This can be especially troublesome when learning how to sweep pick since you really can't make things flow when your "blocking" your hands down. honestly i don't see why you would anchor unless your just playing rhythm guitar, i'd try to get more fluid and loose... or idk maybe i'm just weird, just make sure you can be comfortable, but try to not put your pinky down, that just sounds like a really bad idea for long term. you need to learn how to pick fast with the correct technique and not take shortcuts like that, if thats what your doing i mean.

In short: BE FLUID, DON'T ANCHOR AT ALL
I have been playing 8+years, and I just noticed that my "anchoring" with the pinky was a "bad" thing to do, Although I had never learnt to do sweep picking (speed is not my thing)

So, there could be any problems besides being a bad technique? I heard that you could get some hands problems. :S
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
I anchor some techniques, but I don't put any pressure on my annchor point, so I feel no stress or pain.

I guess anchoring is only bad if you apply a lot of pressure at your anchoring point. I don't and I have never had any pain from it in the 12 or so years I have been playing.
I anchor my pinky when fingerpicking
i think its nicer and stable-ier than floating hand
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
I recently stopped anchoring my hand, and it has drastically improved my picking technique. I would recommend resting your hand on the bridge without anchoring. It has helped me a lot.
Quote by JAHellraiser
The results were my hand going numb after about 10-15 seconds and then later my wrist hurting. so does anyone have any tips for me?

That was happening to me at first, too. I play with much of a hitchiker's thumb, and my hand would kinda go numb after a while, but it stopped, and it's better than anchoring. I wouldn't say that it definitely isn't causing an actualy problem, but I've never heard of NOT anchoring giving you RSI