Anyone here do backing or even lead vocals? Personally, just today I decided to start taking backing vocals more seriously (before now, I just knew easy backing parts, like the second and third verses of Drain You). I happened to be listening to Nevermind at the time, and the song On a Plain came on, so I decided it'd be a nice place to start (the backing is on the phrase "I love myself/I'm better than you" in the verse, plus the ooh's during the chorus and the harmonizing during the bridge); of course, I had to learn the bassline first, but now that I've got both down and am rather proud of myself.

So, any other people who do backing vocals here (or lead)?

Also, does anyone else find they can't sing unless they're playing? I can't sing worth **** normally, but when I'm playing, I get into the song enough that it actually sounds pretty good (I had my brother confirm this for me, to make sure I wasn't just missing any possible crappyness), and the guitarist/vocalist of my band is the same way.
I do backing vocals in bands, which I find easier to do playing bass than singing lead and playing bass. I have a good backing voice; I lack the chops to do lead. But I blend well with other voices. My two kids and my husband have killer singing voices, so I am happy to be a backup singer to their lead.

I came from a family of 5 girls who sang all the time--in the car, doing chores, in church choirs etc. So I tend to sing a lot about the house a cappella. So does my better half and both the kids. Certain phrases will set off a song reference and we're off on a song. The songs tend to range from Buddy Holly to MIA, so its a bit diverse about our abode. A favourite stupid musician trick we do is Dazed and Confused, where I sing the bass line, my song sings Jimmy Pages guitar lines and my husband does a mean imitation of Robert Plant.

Most people sound better accompanied by an instrument. Think of what your friends sound like when they are singing to their iPods and you'll get my drift.
I do backing vocals. I find it really hard to sing and play at the same time; I'm much better at doing either one or the other, but my vocalist says he wanted a backup singer and screamer, so I took the spot. It's fun but real hard. Any tips? Should I not make my basslines so intricate?
Quote by Royal Celebi
I do backing vocals. I find it really hard to sing and play at the same time; I'm much better at doing either one or the other, but my vocalist says he wanted a backup singer and screamer, so I took the spot. It's fun but real hard. Any tips? Should I not make my basslines so intricate?

I dunno; On a Plain has a pretty simple bassline, and the backing is pretty easy. I just played the bassline over and over until I could play it without even thinking about it, so by the time I wanted to sing over it, it wasn't even a big deal.
I do backing vocals, buts one of those bands where the back up is more desired than the lead :P
i do loves to sing me some vocals while I play the bass, but I wouldn't mind finally being in a band where i don't have to sing and i can just dance around on stge and bass.
Try adding more delay.
Unless the bassline is super easy, I can't sing and play at the same time. Otherwise, I do sing both lead and backing, but not while playing bass. The only song I've sucessfully done lead vocals and played bass on was Golden Ticket by Manchester Orchestra, which, if you listen to it, you'll get why I managed to do so.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
I tend to simplify my basslines when i have to sing. Just look at Rush, too. Not always, but i've noticed that most of the harder stuff happens when he's not singing. And I'd say that he definitely plays the hardest stuff while not singing.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I play and sing backing vocals, but I'm planning to work on my simultaneous singing and bassing capabilities to where I can sing lead on some pretty hard stuff, 'cause that's what I'd really like to do.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
I am lead singer in my band, and my bass playing has suffered for it. I'm either playing root notes with the occasional fill, or the guitar follows me riffing. I'm not one for counterpoints, specially in the music i play.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

I do backing vocals sometimes, but with me and the lead singer having almost identical voices (in sound and vocal range), it sometimes makes it tough to figure out when to put backing vocals in. For some songs I can do vocals no problem, but others where it's got a complex bassline, I tend to mess up either singing or playing.
Quote by Alex Vik
I do backing vocals sometimes, but with me and the lead singer having almost identical voices (in sound and vocal range), it sometimes makes it tough to figure out when to put backing vocals in. For some songs I can do vocals no problem, but others where it's got a complex bassline, I tend to mess up either singing or playing.

If you have similar voices, maybe go with dual vocals, where both are singing the same thing; Kurt Cobain has so many songs where he re-recorded himself singing as his own back-up, and I personally love the sound of it.
I was singing 'On A Plain' in the car the other day. It's a good song to kick that sort of thing off, because the backing parts aren't too complicated.
Anytime I want to come up with a backing vocal line, I usually do a complete run-thro', a 3rd up, and again at a 5th up. Neither will always sound good, but I find they give me good pointers as to where I need to be. Only put a backing in where it sounds good by those standards.
And once I've done that, it usually falls fairly naturally for me, because then I own that space.
I sing lead and play bass. Neither have suffered because of the other, but it's a challenge. I've recorded songs so I've sung without playing as well.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..