Im not really one of the speed freaks, im more of a rythym guitarists, I would much rather prefer a melodic solo to a shred solo. I've been learning for about a year and a half and at first, self taught. I made the horrible mistake of not learning the basic chords and scales before attempting to play any songs, however I still carried on and my techniques improved. Now this is where it starts getting bad, where I didnt learn any scales or chords I find writing music hard, of course I've gone back to learn some basic scales and chords but I just dont know where to go from there. I dont really want to be able to shred, I just want to make some good catchy hooks but I dont really know what to learn to be able to do it. Can anybody suggest some scales and some chords to aid me? Cheers
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic

^Very Easy. Learn all the shapes too, not just the main one.

Major Scale
Minor Scale

^Same concept, two more notes per scale, the pentatonics are actually derived from these.

Just learn as many chords as you can. Start with the Major and Minor chords, then expand.

Edit: Well, that really isn't a guaranteed way of getting good, that's just what I did, and everybody tells me that I'm AMAZING. (But I'm not really.)

But my rhythm is not nearly as awesome as my lead. I wish I was good at rhythm like you are.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Last edited by JacobLampman at Aug 3, 2009,
Just music theory in general. I don't know a lot of music theory but I do know what works with what. Start with the Key of E, since that is the most common. And glad to know there's someone else out there who thinks that shredding isn't the only thing that makes a guitarist great.
Yeh I have been dreading strating to learn some music theory but It seems like that is the answer to my problems. Thanks for the feedback.
Quote by JacobLampman
Major Pentatonic
Minor Pentatonic

^Very Easy. Learn all the shapes too, not just the main one.

Major Scale
Minor Scale

This
Hola.