I'm hoping to get a new guitar before the end of the month. I have already narrowed down my (multiple) choices to 2 ESP guitars, both of which I should be able to afford.
Here are some photos, the guitars are an ESP Horizon FR and and ESP F-STD 7 (respectively);

I absolutely love both of them and each has 2 drawbacks over the other:

Horizon: 6-String (I'd quite like to try out a 7-string for a change)/ probably not as good looking

F-STD: Mahogany body (personally I'd prefer Maple)/ no tremolo (which I really want)

If the F-STD had a OFR I'd get it straight away, but this is the real world and I have to make a decision. Both have maple necks and ebony fretboards; the differences being in the body wood and hardware. There is also the dilemma of active vs. passive pickups.

Which do you guys think I should get?

Thanks.
Last edited by metallicaddict at Aug 3, 2009,
i would personally take the white 6-string Horizon. It looks better in my opinion, it has a tremolo bar, which is great, and maybe you'll see the change in the fact that you change guitars, the sound may be better, etc.

which one has what pickups?
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings! Twisting your mind, smashing your dreams!

VIVE LE QUÉBEC! VIVE LE QUÉBEC LIBRE!

Charles De Gaulle, 1967

It's better to live one day as a lion
Than a thousand years as a lamb
First try them out before you buy. Also you can get a Forest with an OFR only it's a 6 string. So yeah both are great guitars but you gotta decide which would suit you more the 7 string with active pickups or the 6 string with floating bridge and passive pickups.
how about this it has 7 string and trem
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
id say the horizon as well because you said you reely wanted a tremolo also like the person above me said depending on you current guitar you could notice a difference in your tone, but in the end it comes down to what you prefer
Dude if yeh want a 7 string with a tremolo that you might be able to afford

Schecter Damien 7 FR

or

Schecter hellraiser c-7 FR

also if you really want one of those two guitars you posted... i would take the horizon
Last edited by MetalGuitarest at Aug 3, 2009,
Im gonna go ahead and disagree with everybody and tell you to get the 7 string.

Not only does it look awesome, but its a 7 string. It also has ACTIVE EMG 707's in it, which is also AWESOME.

No doubt in my mind dude. yeah trems are cool, but not cool enough for me to pass up a decsion like this.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Are you sure the SD's in the horizon are passive? I always thought those were actives..
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
Are you sure the SD's in the horizon are passive? I always thought those were actives..

Nah, they're definitely passive. I got one of them to swap in my current guitar and it's definitely a passive one.
Quote by metallica4life_
i would personally take the white 6-string Horizon. It looks better in my opinion, it has a tremolo bar, which is great, and maybe you'll see the change in the fact that you change guitars, the sound may be better, etc.

which one has what pickups?

The Horizon has a passive Seymour Duncan set (SH1N/TB4) and the F-STD has active EMG 707s.
I say get the F-STD, and start savin up to buy a 7 string floyd rose if you really want one. Then pay someone to have it installed - That makes your guitar custom.

My buddy has a schecter 7 string that had an after market floyd on it, plays like glass, but has crappy pickups..
In an ideal world, I'd love to have both. Maybe I'll get the one I don't buy now when I have more money, but the problem is whichever I buy is going to be my main guitar for quite a while as I own nothing else even close to the same quality. This is why it's such a tough decision. If it helps I tend to play leads; influences: Gilbert, Vai, Malmsteen, Friedman, Hammet, Batio, Tremonti.
Last edited by metallicaddict at Aug 3, 2009,
Well the Horizon seems like a perfect bet for your influences. If you really want to try a 7 string guitar then pick up something used that's cheap since if you don't like it or finding yourself to not use it alot then you won't lose too much money over it.
OK, I think I ought to go for the Horizon then. Still like I said, if I happen to have a spare £1300 (fat chance :P) then I'll get the F-STD as well. Thanks for the help guys!