So I have the degrees down for a major arpeggio, or would i be scale? Scale I think. It would go from maj7, min7, min7, maj7 dom7, min7, dim7??? But what if I were starting from a dim7 or dom7 or min7 instead of beginning with a maj7, if this is as confusing to you as it is to me I'm sorry, and I don't know if i can explain it any better. And I think I'm gonna go with scale instead of arpeggio. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by lzfan933 at Aug 3, 2009,
I'm beginning to doubt this is even possible, if so please let me know.
I'm not sure what you're asking. the pattern repeats no matter where you start. starting on diminished will get you dim -> maj -> min -> min -> etc.
So from what I've gathered, this is what you're saying:

The "pattern" of chords in a major scale goes Imaj7, ii7, iii7, IVmaj7, V7, vi7, and viim7b5(it's not actually a dim7 since that would result in a b6 in the scale. For instance, in C major, it's not a Bdim7 because that includes an Ab.)

You're asking what it would be like if you "started" on a diminished chord. Well, there aren't many scales in which a dim7 chord is available as a tonic("idim7"), and one of those few would be a half-whole or whole-half diminished scale, which consist of alternating half and whole and whole and half steps respectively. But what's important here is that a scale isn't really a pattern of chords so much as just a group of notes. The chords are derived FROM those notes. Instead of starting from a certain kind of chord and trying your way from there, take a scale and figure out all the available chords in it.
Just a note on what grumpastumpy said, Whilst there are two diminished scales, whole-half and half whole, only whole half gives a dim7 chord. If you consider the intervals in half whole, you have both a major and minor 3rd. However in fact this is a major 3rd and #2nd. The chord derived from a half whole scale is a dom7b9 chord.