I'm looking for a car and I found a used jeep wrangler which would be awesome, except its from 1988 and had like 120 thousand miles I think. Is there any chance itll actually be worth getting or is it pretty much guranteed to be a piece of ****? I mean it didnt look ****ty but its pretty old and everything.
"Imagine all the people, sharing all the world"
-John Lennon
if the previous owner maintained it well, it should be fine. is this your first car? how much is it?
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
That's what I said about my last girlfriend before taking her out on a date.

Turns out my suspicions were true.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
it was only 2500 and yea its my first car, so im just worried about blowing my money on a piece of **** i mean id have a mechanic look at it and everything but idk if i should even bother
-John Lennon
Quote by Punk Rocker
it was only 2500 and yea its my first car, so im just worried about blowing my money on a piece of **** i mean id have a mechanic look at it and everything but idk if i should even bother

Take it from me, that's not a great idea...

Well, if you're referring to the car, it's a good idea.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
If it has a 4.0L go for it. The 4.0L'a are as durable as a train. My dads has 200,000+ on it and it's still going fine.
rofl Karvid.

Yeh take it to a mechanic. I bought my first car with 180k on the clock for 2400 aussie dollars and I consider it quite a bargain since Honda Civics don't go that cheap.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Buy a toyota!! **** jeep they break!! I have a Hilux I paid $2800 for & it has atm 399'000km on it wich I think is a hell of alot more than 120'000miles & it still goes good but like Isaid it's a Toyota you can't go wrong with toyota!
Quote by Spoony_Bard
Dude I got these strings the other day that couldn't be tuned to higher than 4 octaves below middle C then I realized that they were shoelaces and they weren't making any sound at all.
If you don't believe the guy above, watch top gear lol

toyotas are quite the machines
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by RivercrestColts
Just look under the hood and see if you see any oil leaks thats the main thing. 120 isn't to bad, about 200K or more is when your getting in the stage for a rebuild or new gaskets.

This is half the story. The engine and everything is a good place to start. HOWEVER, if the frame is shit you can forget about it. I learned that one the hard way. Get it up on some ramps and make sure the frame isn't rusted all to hell.
Double check the body mounts, they're notorious for rusting out on old Jeeps. While you're under there, take a special look at the bumper mounts and the gas tank mounts as well. If they look weak, they probably are.
Lastly, while you're under there, check for snowplow mounts or evidence that a snowplow was once there. If the Jeep ever pushed snow, don't count on much from the frame(salt probably increased frame and body rust) and the 120,000 miles(relatively low) would be hard miles. Don't trust mileage on an old Jeep. Ask if it ever pushed snow or was a towing vehicle.

Quote by Daniel_1988
If it has a 4.0L go for it. The 4.0L'a are as durable as a train. My dads has 200,000+ on it and it's still going fine.

The 4.0L is decent. The older 4.2L straight six was where it was at, though. Pair that sucker with four on the floor. Fun stuff. I got my 35in. Goodyear Workhorse tires to spin with it. Not too well, but I left rubber.

TS, if it all checks out you could be in for a very rewarding vehicle. If not, you'll regret it more than anything you've ever done(even that hooker in Dallas).

My recommendation, though, would be to look a couple years farther back and try getting into a CJ-7 or a CJ-8(Scrambler). If you find a Scrambler and restore it, they go for $20-30,000 on the market. Collector's item.

Sorry for the wall of text but I hope it helps! Happy Jeeping.
Obvious answer is obvious.

If it looks like a piece of sh*t, drives like a piece of sh*t, and the owner treated it like a piece of sh*t, it is a piece of sh*t.
The arena is empty except for one man,
Still driving and striving as fast as he can.
The sun has gone down and the moon has come up,
And long ago somebody left with the cup,
But he's driving and striving and hugging the turns...
Quote by ColdNovembeRain
This is half the story. The engine and everything is a good place to start. HOWEVER, if the frame is shit you can forget about it. I learned that one the hard way. Get it up on some ramps and make sure the frame isn't rusted all to hell.
Double check the body mounts, they're notorious for rusting out on old Jeeps. While you're under there, take a special look at the bumper mounts and the gas tank mounts as well. If they look weak, they probably are.
Lastly, while you're under there, check for snowplow mounts or evidence that a snowplow was once there. If the Jeep ever pushed snow, don't count on much from the frame(salt probably increased frame and body rust) and the 120,000 miles(relatively low) would be hard miles. Don't trust mileage on an old Jeep. Ask if it ever pushed snow or was a towing vehicle.

The 4.0L is decent. The older 4.2L straight six was where it was at, though. Pair that sucker with four on the floor. Fun stuff. I got my 35in. Goodyear Workhorse tires to spin with it. Not too well, but I left rubber.

TS, if it all checks out you could be in for a very rewarding vehicle. If not, you'll regret it more than anything you've ever done(even that hooker in Dallas).

My recommendation, though, would be to look a couple years farther back and try getting into a CJ-7 or a CJ-8(Scrambler). If you find a Scrambler and restore it, they go for $20-30,000 on the market. Collector's item.

Sorry for the wall of text but I hope it helps! Happy Jeeping.

thank you that did help haha ill prolly have my mechanic look at it cuz im car retarded but yea i figure ill at least give the guy selling it a call
-John Lennon
thanks man, also this might be a dumb question but what are the odds of me flipping this thing over? assuming im somewhat careful
-John Lennon
I've put my Scrambler on two wheels at 10mph-ish screwing around in parking lots. And it has a longer wheelbase than the Wrangler.

By the way, the Wrangler is what Chrysler renamed the CJ-7 when they obtained the Jeep brand from AMC.

Assuming you're somewhat careful you won't do that. They're about the same as any other SUV. You'll become conscious of the high center of gravity and it'll all feel natural after too long.

You are going to want to go out to a parking lot and play with it a bit to get a feel for it.
See what it takes to just get on two wheels. Then never do that on the road.

Okay, hell. I know you probably will do it on the road. Just be careful. I almost rolled my dad's old Chevy Astro AWD turning a corner because I hit the gas too hard.

Does it have the manual transmission?