I am in the market for a new guitar, my price ceiling is about a grand. I've always wanted a PRS, and on my budget one option would be an SE Custom 24 for ~$600, then for another couple hundred upgrade the pickups and get locking tuners, so maybe $800 total. Or I could get a used CE 24 for $900-$1000, with no upgrades. How do the two stack up? I've always been a bit dubious of bolt-on necks, how much of a difference would there be? Basically how does the American bolt on neck compare to the Korean Set Neck?

thanks
The CE-24 rapes the SE IMO. MANY players prefer the bolt-on CEs to the much higher priced Custom 22/24s. They may not look as nice, but the CEs actually sound a lot better for the price, gives more clarity methinks. I'm not a bolt-on guy either, but I'd rather have a CE for the price than a Custom 24, unless I got a super deal on the Custom.

Just a heads up, there's a few CE-22/24s on Harmony-Central right now at the ~$800 price range. I think one of them even had the artist package
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 3, 2009,
Quote by redluke22
I am in the market for a new guitar, my price ceiling is about a grand. I've always wanted a PRS, and on my budget one option would be an SE Custom 24 for ~$600, then for another couple hundred upgrade the pickups and get locking tuners, so maybe $800 total. Or I could get a used CE 24 for $900-$1000, with no upgrades. How do the two stack up? I've always been a bit dubious of bolt-on necks, how much of a difference would there be? Basically how does the American bolt on neck compare to the Korean Set Neck?

thanks

while the mik se guitars are quite nice, the ce wipes the floor with them imo. we have 4 se guitars and 2 ce guitars in shop. def worth the extra cash, considering the versatility given with the ce wiring. edit: you fuking fukitty fuk fuk matrix! you are doing it again!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Aug 3, 2009,
I have an SE and a CE22 and the 22's better
The SE plays n feels great, but the CE is just better built with better electronics and such

If you can get the CE24, take it
You wont regret it
Quote by MatrixClaw
The CE-24 rapes the SE IMO. MANY players prefer the bolt-on CEs to the much higher priced Custom 22/24s. They may not look as nice, but the CEs actually sound a lot better for the price, gives more clarity methinks. I'm not a bolt-on guy either, but I'd rather have a CE for the price than a Custom 24, unless I got a super deal on the Custom.

how much is it used?
i loved the Custom 24 and if you think the CE is better then i might go with it

im still dreaming for my own PRS Private stock/Signature guitar
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by gregs1020
edit: you fuking fukitty fuk fuk matrix! you are doing it again!

LOL

Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
how much is it used?
i loved the Custom 24 and if you think the CE is better then i might go with it

im still dreaming for my own PRS Private stock/Signature guitar

The CEs generally sell for about half, or a little more, of the price of the Customs do used.

The bolt-on neck provides a little more bite to it. The Customs I've played sounded too bass to my ears. Last time I tried one, it was a Custom 24 with Dragon IIs in it and it had a price tag of $3800. One of the worst sounding guitars I've ever heard, it was a bassy, muddy mess

The CE's bolt-on balances this out, the necks also feel a bit faster to me, but that could just be my imagination

The only big difference look-wise with them is the Customs are generally more flashy, flame tops/birds/etc. Though it is possible to find a CE with those specs, they're just a bit more rare.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The bolt-on neck provides a little more bite to it. The Customs I've played sounded too bass to my ears. Last time I tried one, it was a Custom 24 with Dragon IIs in it and it had a price tag of $3800. One of the worst sounding guitars I've ever heard, it was a bassy, muddy mess

do you think a different pickup would balance it out??
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
do you think a different pickup would balance it out??

I don't know to be honest. Probably, but the Dragon II pickups are one of the most revered pickups made by PRS...

For $3800, I was expecting one hell of a guitar. Instead, I got something that sounded worse than any of the $500 guitars in the store

Of course, there's always lemons, I've tried a few Customs that were great, but still, I don't think they were worth the price tag. Now... single cuts on the other hand...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Of course, there's always lemons, I've tried a few Customs that were great, but still, I don't think they were worth the price tag. Now... single cuts on the other hand...

single cuts are awesome, the Tremonti sig is also a good guitar

have you tried the Modern Eagle II ?
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
single cuts are awesome, the Tremonti sig is also a good guitar

have you tried the Modern Eagle II ?

I'd love to try a Modern Eagle, but no one stocks them around here. Which I don't understand... because the Scottsdale Guitar Center once had a PRS Dragon in with a price tag of $29,000 - Yes... $29,000

Those guitars look absolutely BEAUTIFUL. There was one on CL a few weeks back for a RIDICULOUS price, but by the time I saw it and called him, it was already sold (when I say ridiculous... I mean like... $1500 ridiculous... ).
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd love to try a Modern Eagle, but no one stocks them around here. Which I don't understand... because the Scottsdale Guitar Center once had a PRS Dragon in with a price tag of $29,000 - Yes... $29,000

Those guitars look absolutely BEAUTIFUL. There was one on CL a few weeks back for a RIDICULOUS price, but by the time I saw it and called him, it was already sold (when I say ridiculous... I mean like... $1500 ridiculous... ).

damn i just googled PRS Dragon and they looked awesome!
and you missed out on a great deal man!
but you have an Edwards so..... its ok

and TS i would get a CE, so this post wont count as spam
feel free to add me
CE fo sho.
The Customs are all right, I actually prefer the CEs better. I like the feel of them.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.