I learned how to play it, but it does not sound right. Is there a certain effect I should use besides regular distortion?

sorry if this is the wrong thread location.
Last edited by Mainer at Aug 3, 2009,
You need a Boss DS-2 distortion pedal and some kind of chorus, preferably a Electro-Harmonix Small Clone cause that's what Kurt used (this gives the slightly watery solo tone).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Well dude that's what you need.
1987 Ibanez Jem 777LNG #124
2012 Herc Fede PMC Jem
1987 Ibanez RG550 Road Flare Red-R
Marshall JCM-1 W/Lead 12 Cab.
Wampler, Ibanez, MXR, Morley Pedals
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Danelectro-FAB-Chorus-Guitar%20Effects-Pedal?sku=151845

Here's the cheapest chorus on there. I dont know if I'd recommend it but I don't know. You get what you pay for in most cases. It won't sound the same, I know that much.

Maybe you could think about purchasing a multi-effect pedal down the line.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.
Quote by Mainer
I can't afford stuff like that

Well then you aren't going to get that sound. But if you ever can afford it and still want that tone then look into a chorus pedal to use over your distortion.
^^This. The workmanship would probably be a bit better than the Danelectro. I've heard that they break pretty easily and aren't put together very well.
Pot
Kettle
Black
You can probably get both those used for less than $100.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
He's 15, and most likely doesn't have a job. Save up whatever money you get. This isn't a cheap hobby to have, I can tell ya that. Unless you're willing to put out a fair amount of money, you're not going to be able to replicate most of the tones you hear in the music you like.
Fender '04 Strat
MiM Sunburst with Maple Neck

Ibanez TS-808
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall JTM60
Quote by Shiromar
He's 15, and most likely doesn't have a job. Save up whatever money you get. This isn't a cheap hobby to have, I can tell ya that. Unless you're willing to put out a fair amount of money, you're not going to be able to replicate most of the tones you hear in the music you like.

This. Even someone like me who does everything on the cheap ends up going into overdraft to fund gear.
Quote by Cathbard