OK, all I need is some help making my final choice for what I should save up for and buy. I'm thinking about getting this guitar (LINK ) but I wish it had 24 frets, does anybody know of a guitar that is EXACTLY the same(or better) with 24 frets, but also stays within $100's of the price? The prestige is out the price range. And would switching out the pickups be costly/difficult?

I also need to choose between these 2 amps(Or a different amp if anyone has any better suggestions):

AMP A

AMP B

I play mostly Classic and Hard Rock, but I play some Metal too. I would like the guitar to be able to be good for playing fast, and would like to be able to pull off some nice sounding pinch harmonics. Whatever UG chooses, I'm going to go with, so PLEASE HELP ME.

I would like to spend under $1200 total, I have to earn all of this money by myself at a part-time-low-paying job. This is a big commitment, and I probably won't be able to get the amp until around October, and the guitar until February with my current choices.

Thanks, this will hopefully be my last thread on this topic.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Just a heads up, there's an S540 on Harmony-Central right now for $250. REALLY good deal, and just as good as the 470, just not as flashy. I'd grab that ASAP before someone else does, I wouldn't expect it to last that long at that price.

If you're going to be playing in a band, the B-52 would be my choice. If it's just for home practice/recording, then the HT-5.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=520056 24 frets and better than any Ibanez.

Amp-wise, go for the B-52 as it's:
a) better for metal stuff
b) if you gig or plan to, it'll give you all the vloume you could want.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/PRS-SE-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar?sku=520056 24 frets and better than any Ibanez.

Amp-wise, go for the B-52 as it's:
a) better for metal stuff
b) if you gig or plan to, it'll give you all the vloume you could want.

Eh, that's just your opinion. I've tried the SEs, decent guitars, but if I were going to buy one, I'd rather have one of the lower end Fender Showmasters, the trems on those are much better and it feels better IMO. However, I LOVE the S series Ibanezs, and the trems that come on them are great.

The HT-5 will sound good for metal, but yes, if a good bit of volume is needed, definitely the B-52
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd go with the B-52 and that guitar is sweet. Nice choice. I don't think I could think of a better choice other than that Ibanez, other than the one that the other guy pointed out above me for cheaper.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Eh, that's just your opinion. I've tried the SEs, decent guitars, but if I were going to buy one, I'd rather have one of the lower end Fender Showmasters, the trems on those are much better and it feels better IMO. However, I LOVE the S series Ibanezs, and the trems that come on them are great.

The HT-5 will sound good for metal, but yes, if a good bit of volume is needed, definitely the B-52

Fair enough. I personally have played many Ibanezes (including a couple of S series ones) and they've all been too uncomfortable to play (especially the super thin necks) and felt poorly constructed.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Fair enough. I personally have played many Ibanezes (including a couple of S series ones) and they've all been too uncomfortable to play (especially the super thin necks) and felt poorly constructed.

Haha, I know what you mean. When I got my first RG it took so long to get used to, the necks on those things are ridiculously thin.

Though, the only Ibanezs I've played that felt cheap were the <$500 ones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Even the JEM I played felt cheap.

As for the necks, I have really small hands, so if they make me cramp up...I don't know how anyone uses them.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666

As for the necks, I have really small hands, so if they make me cramp up...I don't know how anyone uses them.

Paul Gilberts Spider monkey hands work fine on them

The prestiege S series models are definetly up there at the top but there more for a specific sound really. There not as versitile as there PRS/Fender/Gibson cousins, which is not to say that they can't be used for more than metal.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Quote by shadow__666

Weird, the JEM I played at GC was one of the few guitars I'd actually pay the full price for

And that's odd, with small hands... you'd think an Ibanez would be perfect. I have bigger hands, so Les Pauls/SGs fit me the best, but Ibanez just have so much speed in their necks, after playing them for a while, they're extremely comfortable for me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Just a heads up, there's an S540 on Harmony-Central right now for $250. REALLY good deal, and just as good as the 470, just not as flashy. I'd grab that ASAP before someone else does, I wouldn't expect it to last that long at that price.

If you're going to be playing in a band, the B-52 would be my choice. If it's just for home practice/recording, then the HT-5.

+1

edit- almost bought a SE Custom..... but then they had USA LPs for $100 cheaper with a hardshell case...... The SE customs are ok, just overpriced. Go for the Ibanez.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Last edited by jc349 at Aug 3, 2009,
The s470 and a ht-5 is what I'm GASing for right now actually, if its only for home, ht-5, but if your gigging, B-52. You can't really go wrong with either to be honest.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Well, I think I'm gonna get the B-52 because I do play with a band, and since I have decided on an amp, that leaves me with $840. Now, is their anything better than my guitar choice in the price range?

And thanks for the help so far!
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Quote by danyellenik
Just go all out and get this: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-S5470-Presitige-Electric-Guitar?sku=518112

in the Red Viking.

One of the funnest guitars I've ever played

lol, he doesn't even have enough of a budget to buy that, even if he didn't get an amp

Used, he'd have like... $200 left But I agree, the 5470s rock.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I tried!

It looks 100x better in real life too

TS: try and find a used prestige S series, I'm sure you'll be able to if you're patient.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808