Ive found two guitars that i wanna upgrade to. I play alternative rock metal metalcore. Which of these would be best

SG 90 Double - 500$- made in 1988

Schecter c-1 - 325$ - present

The SG is a frekin SG for 500 dollars,This guitar has a single humbucker and single soil, no P90,
im worried cus it is old and might not be good for my style as much as a schecter, but still Its a freakin SG for 500$!

The schecter is just a standard C-1

I only have enough money for one, which would you buy??

They are both about 40 miles away so i cant try them both out next to eachother, and trying a shop model isnt the same, all guitars are different

also i play through a 200 watt raven
Last edited by megagage at Aug 4, 2009,
i think i would get the sg for the simple reason i wont get another chance at it. Its got p-90's and personally i lvoe the sound of p90s distorted. The schecter is more suited to your genres but the sg sounds like alot of fun. (btw i play the same genres)
~Defiant~
sg all the way, get the right distortion setting and the p-90 will scream. plus if you ever get out of metal, you still got a stellar guitar for all genres.

SG or forfeit your life.
Where the hell did slide guitar go!?!
Schecter all the way
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
The SG would be nice but i dont know if you will like to play Metalcore with P90's (Alt. Rock will be no problem)
Hola.
I'm partial to the SG for metalish stuff (as I'm a blues/alt player who plays 'heavy blues' in his heaviest) especially one with P90s. More 'vintage' old school tones out the guitar mixed in with 'modern' styled amps and pedals makes a pretty cool mix.

an 88 Gibbo in decent shape for that price is an outstanding deal (I think). If you don't like it, re-sale might be an option.

I do like scheters a bit, but I love the SG tone more, and with the P90 to top it off its' very hard to resist a true 88 in good condition/good tone (all factories had duds) with P90s in your situation.
he checked the serial, its the 12th one made, is this a good price? how do you think the quality would be?
definitely the schecter for metal and metalcore. the sg is a good chord instrument which is perfect for alternative music. but my cjoice is the schecter if you have a 200 raven. those to me go hand in hand.
Last edited by charliebotkin at Aug 3, 2009,
88 SG, 12th off the line?

DO YOU HAVE TO ASK?!?! BUY!!!!

(if you don't like it you can re-sale it for more money probably)
is the lack of parts and warranty going to affect this? also im looking and a lot of people seem to be buying these for about 400$ average, is this a good price or can i find a better deal?
These forums are a joke. Get the SG and swap the pickups if you have to. It's that freaking simple.
He called me a rapist and a recluse! Iam not a recluse!
-Mike Tyson
+1 SG.Sg's with P-90's don't come around much anymore,so if you don't like it,you could probably make a pretty penny off it.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Only on UG would people suggest a Schecter over the SG and not be joking.

TS:
The SG is not a super collectable vintage guitar, the price is very indicative of it's value, do not be fooled into thinking that you're getting a $2000 guitar for $500, it's nothing like that, but in terms of the guitar itself, late '80s Gibsons are actually pretty good in my experience. But at the same time it will most likely not be anything mind blowingly amazing.

But I'd still take it over the Schecter in a heartbeat.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 4, 2009,
I'd get the Schecter and use the extra money for pickup upgrade
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
I'd stop listening to the opinions of others and try the guitars,then make an informed decision based on what you feel and hear.If that isn't an option then at least play similar guitars to get a ball park feel for what they're like.Different people like different things,so don't blacklist a guitar simply because some people on UG think something else is better.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Is this a joke? Schecters are mid-range guitars. The SG is gonna be of a far higher quality than any Schecter. I love Schecters, but this is seriously no contest.
i would go with the SG, wow that's a good price for it! i wouldn't be able to pass that up.
I would try the SG before I buy it. Im kinda that way when it comes to buying old guitars. But if it does play fine then definitely get it over a regular C-1 (and I love Schecters)
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Quote by Pr0gNut
I'd stop listening to the opinions of others and try the guitars,then make an informed decision based on what you feel and hear.If that isn't an option then at least play similar guitars to get a ball park feel for what they're like.Different people like different things,so don't blacklist a guitar simply because some people on UG think something else is better.

+lotsofnumbers

Best advice in the whole thread.

To add to it, when testing these guitars out, bring your amp (unless they happen to have the same amp you do). Testing either of these guitars on something like a $1000 amp then taking them home to your amp is going to throw you for a loop.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by megagage
This guitar has a single humbucker and single soil, no P90

That's a sweet setup, I wish my SG had that.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I'd go for the schecter for the music you play.

From what i've heard about the p-90's is great but I reli don't think they do metal well at all. Aslo I hear they produce alot of buzz.

Although I think Ian has a good point.
FOR **** SAKE THERES A PICTURE AND HE EVEN SAYS IT IN THE FIRST POST THERES NO P90
ITS A HUMBUCKER IN THE BRIDGE AND A SINGLE COIL IN THE NECK

and also
scheters suck
get the sg
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.