I recently got an ESP Eclipse and was wondering whether to keep the EMG 81/60 or to replace them with the Seymour Duncan JB/59 combo. Give me your opinion please.
?... should it matter what we think? it's all preference. can you play what you want with clarity and the tone that you want?

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
KILL THE EMGS, THEY ARE TONE KILLERS, you need seymour duncan blackouts.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Quote by SPBY
?... should it matter what we think? it's all preference. can you play what you want with clarity and the tone that you want?
Because not everyone can go try any pickup that they're interested in, I'm currently interested in a set of Wolfetone Marshallhead Mk IIs, but before I go and spend $250, I'd wouldn't mind getting some other people's input on how the pickups sounded in their guitars, what they liked about them and what they didn't.
Quote by matt360
KILL THE EMGS, THEY ARE TONE KILLERS, you need seymour duncan blackouts.
Wow, isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black... Let me guess, you own blackouts? And you think they sound less sterile and compressed compared to EMGs right?
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 4, 2009,
NO!!!!
JB/59 is an awesome combo. YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!
If you absolutely need to go active... go Blackouts... but even still, IT'S NOT WORTH IT WITH THAT COMBO!!!

Save your money and buy a guitar with the actives stock down the road.
Last edited by 667 at Aug 4, 2009,
it depends on what u play. for like lamb of god use duncans for metallica use emg's. besides as SPBY says it is all preference. i like EMG's for drop C stuff but duncans for dropped D.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by pickleweed
why wouldnt you just buy a guitar with the pups you wanted?

Because pickups are the one of the easiest replaced parts of guitar, so if a guitar has great build quality (Esp eclipse) you could always switch out the pickups to your tastes
Quote by pickleweed
why wouldnt you just buy a guitar with the pups you wanted?
Quote by Rhoads_1096
Because pickups are the one of the easiest replaced parts of guitar, so if a guitar has great build quality (Esp eclipse) you could always switch out the pickups to your tastes

but isnt that guitar like 1500 bucks? im just thinkin if i droppin 1500, it should be what i wanted already (of course this hinges on this being 1500 bucks )
Quote by pickleweed
but isnt that guitar like 1500 bucks? im just thinkin if i droppin 1500, it should be what i wanted already (of course this hinges on this being 1500 bucks )
So untrue... you don't buy a guitar for the pickups that are in it. If you like the pickups in it, then that's just gravy, but it should not be the deciding factor. I already have a set of pickups in mind for when the day comes for me to drop some major cash on a Gibson historic reissue.
Quote by al112987
Because not everyone can go try any pickup that they're interested in, I'm currently interested in a set of Wolfetone Marshallhead Mk IIs, but before I go and spend $250, I'd wouldn't mind getting some other people's input on how the pickups sounded in their guitars, what they liked about them and what they didn't.
Wow, isn't this a case of the pot calling the kettle black... Let me guess, you own blackouts? And you think they sound less sterile and compressed compared to EMGs right?

i own blackouts and i believe they sound more organic generally better than emg's. i have played guitars with emg's and they all sound roughly the same. my two guitars with blackouts still sound like individual guitars, but with active pickups.
Quote by Rhoads_1096

Only if you have your tone in the ball park with your amp and technique. Then worry about the pickups.
Quote by samlocke14
i own blackouts and i believe they sound more organic generally better than emg's. i have played guitars with emg's and they all sound roughly the same. my two guitars with blackouts still sound like individual guitars, but with active pickups.

I own Blackouts, EMG's and a JB/Jazz setup. The Blackout's are definitely better than the EMG's as far as "organic" and very close to the tones and dynamics I get with my passives, but My JB/Jazz setup it the best of the bunch tone-wise through my 5150 and my Cube.

My Schecter with the Blackouts (hardtail) just plays so awesome for the style I play (old school 80's hardcore/punk) that it wins.
I have played blackouts and they still sound like active pickups and still have that sterile active sound that I hate intensely.
It depends, I prefer EMG's but you may not want that super high gain sound. Simply it's a matter of preference
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
Quote by Crazed Shredder
It depends, I prefer EMG's but you may not want that super high gain sound. Simply it's a matter of preference

I agree. There's alot of factors involved. With the right setup (amp, guitar material, signal chain etc) technique and style, emg's sound awesome. There's a reason they are so prevalent in heavy styles of music.
Quote by al112987
I have played blackouts and they still sound like active pickups and still have that sterile active sound that I hate intensely.

amen
Quote by Rhoads_1096

i swear they make eclipses with the sd jb/59 set in them
Gear:
Fender American Standard Strat
Zoom G5
Blackstar HT1 mini stack

Epiphone G400 SG Goth / with Emg 81 +85
LP kit
Jackson RR24m
Jackson Dk2M
Maton EM225c
Bugera 333XL
Randall RA412XL
ISP Decimator G String
Boss Tu-2
Boss RC-2
Quote by henza_x
i swear they make eclipses with the sd jb/59 set in them

they do. the ec models with the ASB finish come with the SD's. all the others have emg's