I can play riffs no problem..slipknot avenged sevenfold bullet for my valentine are some examples...I'm having problems learning solos. I can play bat country and the beast and the harlot riffs no problem but i was working on iron man solo last night and i realized i have lots of difficulty figuring out the rythym and just my ear pretty much its not that i can't play it...does anybody have any tips or drills or anything that might help me bc its annoying me.
Last edited by B_Parsons12 at Aug 4, 2009,
You're probably missing out a lot of important stuff, in your haste to learn. Patience is essential.

Go back and really get good at the basic techniques before trying to take on fast and complex stuff like that.
Quote by kyle62
You're probably missing out a lot of important stuff, in your haste to learn. Patience is essential.

Go back and really get good at the basic techniques before trying to take on fast and complex stuff like that.

it's not really my fingers i can play fast stuff...I just have trouble following tabs with the song and figuring out the rythym.
GuitarPro is your salvation. As long as you're using quality tabs it will help you out immensely. It sure helped me in a big way. It enables you to hear exactly how it's supposed to go and I especially like being able to see which notes are supposed to be eights, sixteenths, etc.
Andy Fox
Hard rock guitarist
I play a Jackson DK-2 and an Ibanez RG through a Peavey 6505+ stack
Or get Tuxguitar, it's FREE and can open both Powertab and GuitarPro files.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Vlasco
Learn to read sheet music!

I can read sheet music i was in band for 5 years played the saxophone...i know alot of music theory and everything.
i kinda have this problem as well. like i can easily hear timing on riffs and stuff, but solos at times just seem hard to follow timing wise. what i suggest is that you break things down into shorter sections, like a couple bars. most solos will have natural pauses as well, so learn single phrases at a time. try to just play the first couple bars or the first phrase if it isnt too long. get that down pat, and then move to the next section. dont learn the sections individually exactly, but play from part one into part two. you have to make sure you have the first section down, then get the second section down and have them connected well. then move on to the third section and so on.

so basicly instead of learning the solo as a whole, learn it part by part but play through to where youve learned every time.
Quote by B_Parsons12
I can read sheet music i was in band for 5 years played the saxophone...i know alot of music theory and everything.

Then use the sheet music of the solo - timings shouldn´t be a problem when written as such.