is there any special thing slipknot does to get their pinch harmonics to sound like they do bc they sound unique to me and mine don't sound like that lol...just curious...answers are greatly appreciated.
As a Slipknot fan myself, id gladly answer before you get flamed!!

Practice. Gain. Practice. Gain. and active pickups. Did i mention Practice? I play the penatonic scale in pinches and it has helped me out greatly. Theyre louder, more defined, and they just plain out sound better. Also, pick in a different place. They sound changes depending on where you pick on the string. You can get multiple sounds out of 1 string holding the same fret depending on where you pick .
Quote by nickdohle
As a Slipknot fan myself, id gladly answer before you get flamed!!

Practice. Gain. Practice. Gain. and active pickups. Did i mention Practice? I play the penatonic scale in pinches and it has helped me out greatly. Theyre louder, more defined, and they just plain out sound better. Also, pick in a different place. They sound changes depending on where you pick on the string. You can get multiple sounds out of 1 string holding the same fret depending on where you pick .

thank you and answer from a fellow maggot lol. I'll try that...I can do pinches decently but they just don't sound slipknot lol its like slipknots pinches are unique...i know they do vibratos on them but ill try picking in different places. I may just not be on the right fret either never know lol
Quote by B_Parsons12
thank you and answer from a fellow maggot lol. I'll try that...I can do pinches decently but they just don't sound slipknot lol its like slipknots pinches are unique...i know they do vibratos on them but ill try picking in different places. I may just not be on the right fret either never know lol

If it's not technique, it's tone from the amp.
Quote by B_Parsons12

Anytime! Glad to help out another maggot in need! But like perpetual motion said, Tone is a huge part also. I would focus on technique. What song or songs are you wanting to get specifically?
Quote by nickdohle
Anytime! Glad to help out another maggot in need! But like perpetual motion said, Tone is a huge part also. I would focus on technique. What song or songs are you wanting to get specifically?

Mainly Before I Forget and Duality. I can get Psychosocial and Dead Memories pinches damn near perfect
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Don't write because as "bc" and it's the EMGs and low tunings.

Mick uses blackouts. :p
Haha. Im such a loser. The low tunings i guess can affect it though. Do you play in Bb or are you lazy like me and tune to drop b and pretend?

Edit: I would just keep practicing. That album is different from there others anyway because of all that "experimental" stuff. Now, i love it. Lots of people hate it. But it got me into them. Anyway, practice, Emgs, Search the string for that sweet spot also. Thats pretty much it.

ALSO, check out some of there older stuff. It kicks some serious ass. Almost a different feel to it. But still good nonetheless
Last edited by nickdohle at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by nickdohle
Mick uses blackouts. :p
Haha. Im such a loser. The low tunings i guess can affect it though. Do you play in Bb or are you lazy like me and tune to drop b and pretend?

the last I knew they did play in drop b. I actually have never played in a lower tuning that wasn't drop lol
Quote by B_Parsons12
the last I knew they did play in drop b. I actually have never played in a lower tuning that wasn't drop lol

They do. I meant do YOU play the songs in Bb? I think its a bitch to tune that low then bak to standard so when i practice at home i play in drop d.
Quote by nickdohle
They do. I meant do YOU play the songs in Bb? I think its a bitch to tune that low then bak to standard so when i practice at home i play in drop d.

Im currenlty in drop c because ive been playing bullet for my valentine lol im lazy too...yeah im a big slipknot fan i know like all there songs. I just noticed as i screwed around with my guitar i can get most of the harmonics to sound like slipknot on the low E string but any other string just doesnt sound well lol. so idk turning my mid up helped some.

*edit oh and i don't believe emgs could really help that much bc i've played on guitars with emgs and the replicas of jim and micks guitar and i got better pinches out of my guitar which is incredibly cheap...its gotta be in the tone.
Last edited by B_Parsons12 at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Don't write because as "bc" and it's the EMGs and low tunings.

Bull**** mate I played a LTD Ninja 600 just yesterday and hit a ****load of pinch harmonics. I had the gain up and the settings on some ****ty ashton amp were fairly neutral and bridge humbucker, aside from that you really gonna need good technique an easy way to see if you do is if you can hit them on the acoustic sure it's going to be more complicated/harder but you'll see how to do them properly to have them ring out.
Bend the **** out of your string, then vibrato. Helps.

Tone almost means **** to be honest with you, I played, no...PLAY on a **** MGDFX and a RG120, and my harmonics sound fine. You can get a better sound through better gear, no doubt about it, but in the end it's all technique.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ZeroCS
Bend the **** out of your string, then vibrato. Helps.

Tone almost means **** to be honest with you, I played, no...PLAY on a **** MGDFX and a RG120, and my harmonics sound fine. You can get a better sound through better gear, no doubt about it, but in the end it's all technique.

Yup. I mean, I can do pinch harmonics on my acoustic, in standard tuning. All it takes is practise.

I don't even play metal, and I can do it.
Cam Sampbell's my hero