alright well today i managed to learn how to play the whole mixolydian scale in the key of g.(well patterns)
just to make sure if i want to change the key of it lets say to A, would i just start from the 5th fret? or what?

Note* i know all the notes on a fretboard but not in like half a second speed. it takes me time because i figure it by chromatics. so please dont tell me to learn the notes in the scale and then just use those notes when playing.
Classical Guitarist
yeah, just move the shapes up two frets
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Do you mean playing A mixolydian, over an A mixolydian progression? Yeah, just shift the pattern up an entire step.(in stead of GABCDEFG, ABC#DEF#GA
If you mean playing A Minor, start on the fifth fret, but play the same notes. (in stead of GABCDEFG, ABCDEFGA)
modes != scales. i used to think this. basically all a mode is is a major scale of a key played in a different key. for example, if you wanted to play A mixolydian, you would be playing the notes from a D major scale. how this makes a difference: a D major scale contains the notes D E F# G A B C#, while A contains A B C# D E F# G#. when soloing you would focus around the G, being the dominant 7 of A major, which would give the mode its voicing.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by Zep_shizzle
alright well today i managed to learn how to play the whole mixolydian scale in the key of g.(well patterns)
just to make sure if i want to change the key of it lets say to A, would i just start from the 5th fret? or what?

Note* i know all the notes on a fretboard but not in like half a second speed. it takes me time because i figure it by chromatics. so please dont tell me to learn the notes in the scale and then just use those notes when playing.

Yes, the scale is defined by the pattern of intervals, so if you play the same pattern of intervals but starting in a different place you are playing the same scale but with a different root.

Do you fully understand modes yet? there is no point you learning the mixolydian mode if your basic theory is so lacking that you couldn't answer this question as i don't see you being able to use modes without understanding your question.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Modes are not patterns, you need to change the harmony as well. Learn scale construction and key sigs. Also G is not the dominant seventh of A major. E7 is.
Quote by UtBDan
this man hits the nail on the head.
Quote by doive
Yes, the scale is defined by the pattern of intervals, so if you play the same pattern of intervals but starting in a different place you are playing the same scale but with a different root.

Do you fully understand modes yet? there is no point you learning the mixolydian mode if your basic theory is so lacking that you couldn't answer this question as i don't see you being able to use modes without understanding your question.

i know what modes are yes. i might not know everything about em but i do plan on understanding them better over this next school year.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Zep_shizzle
i know what modes are yes. i might not know everything about em but i do plan on understanding them better over this next school year.

He's right. The fact that you had to ask the question you just did means that you lack the required knowledge to be worrying about modes. You need to go back to the basics.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by TK1
modes != scales. i used to think this. basically all a mode is is a major scale of a key played in a different key. for example, if you wanted to play A mixolydian, you would be playing the notes from a D major scale. how this makes a difference: a D major scale contains the notes D E F# G A B C#, while A contains A B C# D E F# G#. when soloing you would focus around the G, being the dominant 7 of A major, which would give the mode its voicing.

Except modes don't have keys. Keys are a major-minor deal. I know you meant "a mode is a major scale played with a different tonal center" but even that is a severe understatement. I don't think you seem to understand what modes are either. Sorry bud :/

Edit: After looking at the modes section(s) of your site, I think you need to take Archeo's advice too. I mean that in the best way possible.
Last edited by Eastwinn at Aug 4, 2009,