I just bought some Electro Harmonix tubes (EL34,12AX7) for my (Crate)Palomino V32h head because its tone (though it might just be in my head) was starting to really suck. I bought the amp last year in February and haven't changed the tubes yet. (I really crank it about 4 times a month for full band practice or shows and practice relatively loud) I don't know how long the amp was on the floor of GC before I bought it, so when the sound seemed to drop in quality I figured I need some fresh tubes.

Changing the tubes seems simple enough, but this bias business seems like something I can't do on my own. So obviously: get a pro to do it.

But heres my (pretty simple) question: Would I harm my amp in anyway by changing the tubes myself and if I like the tone, waiting to get its bias checked?

Basically does a bias check have to be done immediately as new tubes are put in? or can it wait a bit (if the tone is good).

The preamp tubes are staying 12AX7s, but the current power tubes I have are EL84s and I'm switching to 34s.
Last edited by WhereArtEsteban at Aug 4, 2009,
wow'

can you switch from 84's to 34's like that ???

what does the owner's manual say?

Does the amp require 'rebiasing' or no?

Yes, you have to bias up front

Capacitors can kill if you don't know what you are doing.

YOuTube - 'Crate tube bias'

::??
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
wow'

can you switch from 84's to 34's like that ???

what does the owner's manual say?

Does the amp require 'rebiasing' or no?

Yes, you have to bias up front

Capacitors can kill if you don't know what you are doing.

YOuTube - 'Crate tube bias'

::??

Well the first question is something that the owners manual never adresses. but i'm guessing now that the answer is no I cant....****

The manual blows, I dont think the part about tubes was written with my amp in mind, all it does is explain the different types. so naturally I thought I could have whatever type I wanted.