Ive never been a huge fan of musical theory just dabbled around a bit on my guitar till i found stuff that sounded good but recently ive been reading about it all and, well at first it didnt make much sense to me. But i think some of it has just clicked in my head after trying to put it into actual use.

A few things that i think i understand that didnt make much sense at first and tell me if im wrong please are;

- Finding the relative minor/major, Basically well after putting it into practice i found that you can find this by just taking the root note down 3 notes? and the major would be up 3? for example the relative minor of C is A?

- And i read about scale construction too, and one thing i didnt understand is how pentatonic scales or well any scale (until the whole scale formula thing suddenly worked for me) are made up but now i think i understand. Major pentatonic is the same as the major scale without the 4th or the 7th? (1 2 3 5 6 1) and minor pentatonic is the natural minor scale minus the 2nd and b6th? ( 1 2b 3 4 5 b7 1) ect.

- And the last question i have is do you just use the scale formulae against the natural minor/major scale always depending on which it is you want, to create scales always?

Thanks in advance and sorry if i got a bit long winded or made it to hard to read :$.
Last edited by Raglngbull at Aug 4, 2009,
yes on the first, more or less on the second.

if you want, i made a site you might be interested in, just click the link in my sig. its comprised of notes ive taken from music theory courses and of course my own findings, aimed to teach you in a way you can easily understand.

check it out, let me know what you think.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.