I finally made my choice and bought a peavey valveking 112 today. It sounds SO awesome compare to my line 6 spider III 30 ( ). Ive already done the dummy jack and the effects loop trick to clear it up . Besides replacing the speaker (which everyone says is muddy but sounds ok to my noob ears) what else can i do to really pimp this awesome amp out?
Quote by Thurisaz
Trade it for a 6505+ 112?

I'd rather get the 5150 tbh.

how's the 6505 fair in terms of metal crunch anyway.
Change the tubes.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion
Quote by Slash546
Change the tubes.

I remember reading that the VK112's has a fixed bias. What tubes would be best for a crunching cutting metal sound?

Thanks in Advance
Valveking Thread

Quote by ValveKing Thread Mk II

(Preamp) Valve Swap

Although I do not advocate replacing the valves until they need to be, a lot of users (such as Mike.H) found that they improved the tone somewhat. Some popular valve combinations are:

>JJ12AX7s: Add clarity and more bass response.

>TungSol12AX7s: Add a tiny bit more gain, and again more clarity + treble

(Credit to leadfootdriver)
>Put a 12AT7 in V3. (closest to the tubes on the 112) You get more clairity and dynamics. There's still plenty of gain left.

(Credit to IbanezPsycho)
I would check and see what tubes came stock in it. JJ's and Tung Sols are you best options. If you have Rubys or EHX you might want to change them.

As before, any reviews on valve/tube changes are welcome and will be added.

Quote by Valveking Thread (again)

"Generally your V1 is going to be your clean tube, V2 gain and then V3 is the Phase Inverter. But all three do talk to each other in a sense so it's best to get a good combination going. So, don't skimp out on V1's quality just because you are looking for more gain.

The phase inverter is part of the power amp in a sense. The signal is supplied to the phase inverter from the preamp. The power amp in divided into two sections, each section amplifying part of the signal. The two signals are combined back at the Output Transformer (OT). The phase inverters job is to split the preamp signal into two halves, each half a mirror image of the other. If one is out of whack you will notice different frequencies out of proportion with one another. They're balanced so that notes are represented equally and they sustain/decay equally.

Also it's one of the hardest working preamp tubes and it's recommended you change it out when you replace your power tubes if not every other time. It's also one of the most important tubes in your amp. It is what takes your preamp information and passes it along to the Power Tubes. It provides your output stage distortion tone, character, and amp feel." - credit IbanezPsycho

....Mike.h's last config
V1 TungSol
V2 Mullard
V3 JAN Phillips 5751

"The Tung Sol adds A TON of brightness and a TON of clarity. Some people might like the brightness. I put the Mullard in V2 because it's like a JJ but without the mud. [JAN Phillips] 5751 is a good phase inverter tube, so in V3 it went.

I would stay away from JJ 12AX7's altogether, especially in VK's. JJ's just continue emphasizing the unwanted tonal qualities of the VK. [They are darker like the Mullards and the VK is already a dark 'voiced' amp]

I recommend using Tung Sol V1, and 2 5751's for the other slots. That would probably be the best config for the VK. Add a boost [OD Pedal] infront to make up for the lost gain (not much)" - Credit Mike.h

ValveKing doesn't have tubes dedicated to each channel.

I believe it's run like many others - one half of the tube controls the gain channel, other half runs the clean. V1 is your typical input stage, V2 should be your clean/gain stage, V3 is your phase inverter. V1 still has the most influence over your tone. Tung Sol + V1 = BRIGHT. 12AT7's and JAN Phillips 5751's are the tubes you want in phase inverter position (V3). - Credit Mike.h

There's more in there as well. Me personally, too poor to do all this I'm working on it though, so I've been looking it up quite a bit.
Guitars:
Epiphone SG
Schecter Damien FR
Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amps:
Epiphone Studio 10S Practice Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212

Effects:
Vox V847 (NOT V847A) Wah Pedal
DOD FX55-B Supra Distortion