I just GAS'd and got my new and beautiful Tele, but now I need to upgrade my amp. I play almost all styles. Country, blues, rock, jazz, and post-rock. I mainly use cleans. I don't have a price range set, but under $800 probably. I would love a combo amp, im thinking about 40-50 watts. No modeling amps.

Thank you.
Quote by kyle62
Well, whatever you get is likely to be either Fender-inspired or Vox-inspired.

Can you name any guitarists' tones you particularly like the sound of?

A variety really, but my favorites are In Rainbows era Johnny Greenwood, early Rory Gallagher, and Stadium Arcadium era John Frusciante ("Wet Sand" as a solo tone). You know, the cliches.
Obligatory Classic 30 recommendation.

You might wanna try Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Blues Deluxe. Don't know much about them though
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Hmm, pretty wide range there, but anything British-voiced, preferably with EL84 power tubes, will work nicely. Jonny G and Rory Gallagher both used AC30s, while Fruscinate is more of a Plexi/JCM man.

The best amp I can think of would be a Ceriatone 18W TMB EF86 combo. it's a clone of a modified vintage Marshall and yes, that's a lot of acronyms!
It uses EL84 power tubes like Vox amps, but if you crank it up a bit you'll get very close to Frusciante's Marshall crunch - though you'll want an overdrive pedal to get more out of it.
The EF86 channel is designed around a different preamp tube to get you a 'chiming' Vox-like tone which would nail those Radiohead tones nicely.

The Ceriatone kit, fully assembled in a combo with tubes and speaker, probably runs to about $900. Keep an eye on eBay and you could probably pick one up for $500 or so.
Quote by kyle62
Hmm, pretty wide range there, but anything British-voiced, preferably with EL84 power tubes, will work nicely. Jonny G and Rory Gallagher both used AC30s, while Fruscinate is more of a Plexi/JCM man.

The best amp I can think of would be a Ceriatone 18W TMB EF86 combo. it's a clone of a modified vintage Marshall and yes, that's a lot of acronyms!
It uses EL84 power tubes like Vox amps, but if you crank it up a bit you'll get very close to Frusciante's Marshall crunch - though you'll want an overdrive pedal to get more out of it.
The EF86 channel is designed around a different preamp tube to get you a 'chiming' Vox-like tone which would nail those Radiohead tones nicely.

The Ceriatone kit, fully assembled in a combo with tubes and speaker, probably runs to about $900. Keep an eye on eBay and you could probably pick one up for $500 or so.

I haven't heard of Ceriatone before but after some research it looks pretty good. The only problem is that I play shows and 18 watts would be to small.
Quote by JacobTheMe
I haven't heard of Ceriatone before but after some research it looks pretty good. The only problem is that I play shows and 18 watts would be to small.

Could you mic it?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Those Ceriatone amps list at 18 watts, but that's clean. If you tend to use high levels of gain, and along with a 4x12 cabinet, I see no reason why it shouldn't cope with small, bar gigs. Larger venues often have PA systems that mic you up, anyway. But you said you tend to use clean more-so than overdriven. In that case, something else would be appropriate.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a nice option.
Look into the Traynor YCV40 series, also. They are more American in voicing, but still lovely amps.
You may be able to pick up a Vox AC30 for $800 on ebay or craigslist.
The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is another amp you should try out.
A Marshall DSL401 is also a decent amp. The other pieces I've listed are better in tone, but the Marshall is unique to some.
A Roland JC-120 is a beautiful amp for clean tones.
Tech 21 make some highly regarded amps.
But a Laney VC30/LC30/50 could be right up your alley. You'd have to pick one out from ebay, though.
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by JacobTheMe

I play 3 shows a week and have never got my 18W amp past about 6 on the volume control. The beauty of it is it's loud enough for any gig, but still quiet enough that you can turn it up to get the really good tones. If you like crystal-cleans you should be looking for 50W or more, but if you like your cleans with just a little bit of edginess it's ideal.

The sheer volume of these little amps is legendary.

EDIT: I've done a quick sound clip of my 18W clone's cleans, have a listen on my profile. Recorded with a cheap condenser mic, amp is at about 2.5 on the volume dial with the tone control rolled right down.
Last edited by kyle62 at Aug 4, 2009,