hey guys, i've been trying to find a new guitar, the exact date of me getting is as of yet undetermined, this is going to be my graduation gift. thankfully i believe my parents are willing to spend a decent amount of money on a guitar. now my tastes have changed since i first started, for a guitar i'm no longer searching for a guitar thats eye catching first, playable second (don't flame i used to look at guitars on looks then see if they played well) but now i've realised that i need reliablity. anyways i'm looking at guitars and i see a few choices as of right now, but each on i have looked into i have a few questions about because i've only seen one in action and played a cousin of the other
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-S5470-Prestige-Electric-Guitar-104837513-i1392781.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-SV5470-Electric-Guitar-104794367-i1396022.gc
^ both of these guitars are ibanez S5470s with the top being the prestige model.now i've played the cheaper model the S520 or something quite similiar to it (it was the same body type as the above two models. but my question is what is the difference between the wizard II neck on the lower end model i played and the necks on the two above models (the prestige has a wizard prestige) is there a size difference because the reason i am looking into these models is because i remember the neck on the low end model was really nice and if these neck are quite similiar i will try to find one of these play it and hopefully get it

now my other gutiar i've been looking into is
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Parker-NiteFly-Mojo-Guitar-511293-i1146819.gc
i've heard the tones this guitar can get listening to KSE both in recordings and watching some live stuff online, but my question is does any one know what the neck is like. i am looking for something akin to the razorback DB (my current guitar) which i believe is a C-shaped neck (i know nothing of those names but it is small and feels like a C to me) and if the whammy bar is all that reliable (i have a low chance of using it but i just want to make sure it doesn't mess with playing that much)

thanks for reading that i don't have a tl;dr for it so if you have any info that can help it would be greatly appreciated. i'm just trying to find a guitar that will last (my other guitars have wiring problems and stuff of that nature) so i can have something to rely on for quite some time. once again thanks.

Edit - the parker nitefly is the black model, i have a strong feeling that i won't be getting anything above 2k (but i honestly don't know because it will be my graduation gift so i don't know how much my parents will end up spending)
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch
What the hell? F8 doesn't do anything interesting This toy is lame

Quote by TheReverend724
I can have a beer later, I need to level Charmeleon NOW!
Last edited by F8iscruel at Aug 4, 2009,
Yikes....that's a hard choice,both brands are great.Out of those two I'd have to take the fly though,but for that price you can get an Ibanez J Custom,which beats the fly IMO.

Edit: I'm an ass who got scared of the wall of text and just stated some random opinion without reading anything.My contribution to this thread is on the same level as Terry Schiavo's contribution to break dancing

Yeah...I went there

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Aug 4, 2009,
is the the satriani model, see i've never really been into ibanez (i used to openly protest and hate them) but i played the S520 model once and i loved it, but that was a while ago, ive never really been into any of the other ibanez models, the RG i still cant stand, so i'm not sure if im going to like anything besides the S series, but thats because they sound good, and have an ergonomic body for me ( the compact size made the classical style setting like playing a V in classical setting) but i havent played one for a while plus i need to check out the necks because like i said i fell for the neck on the razorback models ( which i believe is a C)
Quote by haha
every time I see your username I press F8 out of curiosity then I have to give myself a big ol' facepalm

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
is the the satriani model, see i've never really been into ibanez (i used to openly protest and hate them) but i played the S520 model once and i loved it, but that was a while ago, ive never really been into any of the other ibanez models, the RG i still cant stand, so i'm not sure if im going to like anything besides the S series, but thats because they sound good, and have an ergonomic body for me ( the compact size made the classical style setting like playing a V in classical setting) but i havent played one for a while plus i need to check out the necks because like i said i fell for the neck on the razorback models ( which i believe is a C)

Ibanez breaks down like this quality-wise,starting with the best:

-J Custom models/LA custom shop/High end artist models
-Prestige series
-mid-range models and lower end sig models
-Budget models
-Starter models

The J Custom series are RG and S models built to exacting quality standards and are arguably the best guitars that Ibanez produces,a long with the JEM models and other high end sigs.You can find LA custom shop models out there,but they're rare from what I've seen.The prestige S series will take everything you liked about the lower end S model and add on to and improve it.The best production model S series at the moment is the Herman Li sig,which takes the prestige S and adds some unique and ergonomically cool features as well as a set of custom DiMarzio pups that can only be found on this particular guitar.High quality tone woods,bridges,and construction are staple features on all prestige and higher end artist models.If you want details on the neck specs check the Ibanez website for the dimensions of the specific models.

Now,a brief word about the JS series.The Satriani sigs have a similar body design to the S series,but only the top half of the body is tapered while the bottom half is left more thick and rounded.The necks aren't like most Ibanez necks,they're 22 frets and have a more rounded and thicker feel,a lot like a strat neck IMO.The pups aren't really high output,but they can pull off rock tones like crazy.

Hope this helps.If you have any more questions just let me know.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

thank you very much, i'm guessing that the J series isn't viewable online at GC website (for the lifeof me i can't find them) but i think unless i play a parker and it blows me away im going to end up with the Ibanez, if the neck design is similiar to the wizzard two or just in general something i can play (they really need to say what the neck is shaped like i don't know the deminsions but once again something close to a dean neck (razorback DB really rounded neck but its small enough for me to wrap my hand around it so my thumb and the finger closest to it overlap each other) hopefully the prestige model is close to that, and i again don't know budget wise what i can get.
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
thank you very much, i'm guessing that the J series isn't viewable online at GC website (for the lifeof me i can't find them) but i think unless i play a parker and it blows me away im going to end up with the Ibanez, if the neck design is similiar to the wizzard two or just in general something i can play (they really need to say what the neck is shaped like i don't know the deminsions but once again something close to a dean neck (razorback DB really rounded neck but its small enough for me to wrap my hand around it so my thumb and the finger closest to it overlap each other) hopefully the prestige model is close to that, and i again don't know budget wise what i can get.

If you want to see some examples of J Custom models do an Ebay search for them.There are several sellers who regularly showcase them,the best of which would be Meestursparkle.His auctions have tons of high quality pictures and info and he also sells new guitars with a discount since he's based in Japan and gets a price cut due to being a domestic dealer.Most Ibanez necks on RG and S models are thin and flat,but the width and contour shape varies slightly with different models.All in all they're very playable necks if you like your necks on the thin side....IMO of course.

well i have a tendancy to rest my thumb on the back of the neck and i feel that if i play one of the D shaped necks (they seem like Ds because of the drop from curve to flat back to cureve) that i'll have trouble manuvering on them, it's one of the main reasons i've had trouble getting in to the ibanez brand, but i think its also due to the fact that i'm unsure if my thumb would lock up and cause me to have a little problem, i'll hopefully get a chance to try one, but i did enjoy the wizard 2 so hopefully they are relativly similiar. i've just got to find one to play
Quote by haha

Quote by ouch

Quote by TheReverend724
Quote by F8iscruel
well i have a tendancy to rest my thumb on the back of the neck and i feel that if i play one of the D shaped necks (they seem like Ds because of the drop from curve to flat back to cureve) that i'll have trouble manuvering on them, it's one of the main reasons i've had trouble getting in to the ibanez brand, but i think its also due to the fact that i'm unsure if my thumb would lock up and cause me to have a little problem, i'll hopefully get a chance to try one, but i did enjoy the wizard 2 so hopefully they are relativly similiar. i've just got to find one to play

IMO the wizard II is the least comfortable neck that Ibanez makes today.The other incarnations of the wizard just seem much better to me as far as feel and playability go.On an ibanez neck my thumb naturally rests near the middle of the neck,which makes my hand drop down a bit and facilitates fast and technical finger work since your hand has more room to maneuver.I'm not sure if this is true for everyone,but it's just an observation.I think the general consensus is that if you can't play fast on an Ibanez then you can't play fast period .If you're used to thin necks then I'm sure you wont have any problems playing fast on an Ibby.