Well as the title states I'm in the market for my first guitar. I'm 30 and just now going to start learning.
I'm kind of in a pickle because I'm not sure what way to go, as far as the choices i have narrowed down too. My budget is 500$ max. So with that said I'm looking to get the best guitar i can for that money.
My choices are this 1) Washburn D10s
2) Greg Bennett (Samick) ASDM
3) Martin DX1
Now if your not sure about that Greg Bennett designed Samick i will include this link

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/asdm.html

Now my local music store has this guitar and say that it is built like 2K dollar acoustics.
Do to being solid wood top and sides and back. And Grover tuner etc etc.
Now i know Martin name but the DX1 is there bottom guitar so...

And i have read some bad about the Washburn also. The Samick on the other hand is not sold in big box stores so there is no real reviews etc on it that i can find.

If you guys could give me your thoughts on this i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
I'd recommend the Seagull S6. There is also the Seagull Entorage series that has a narrower neck. But in the $500 max range I'd get a Seagull.

Edit: I know it wasn't one of the choices, but I am not fully familiar with the ones you showed and the Seagull is one of the more recommended ones in the lower price range.
Seagul has a great reputation. Also look at Ovations as the styling may or may not suit you. Your budget is probably a bit short for Parkwood but there are many Cort (same factory) models in range that would be worth trying.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I have looked at the seagul. But am not sure of a dealer near me. I am not a fan of Ovation guitars. Just not my style or look. The sound is a little weird for me also.

Has anyone heard of these Greg Bennett Guitars? If there what my local music store says they are then they seem pretty well built. Parts like a high end guitar. But I'm unsure of the samick name.
All i ever knew of them was that they built cheap lines of guitars for other companies?
that guitar looks beautiful. idk much about guitar brands but imo i wouldnt spend more than like $200 max on a first guitar unless you got that kinda money to drop on it. but ive had a $100 johnson guitar that came with a free mandolin for a couple years and for alot of that time its been sitting. but anyway it sounds fine, i just started getting serious with it and im thinkin about getting a new one cause my parents offered :/. but anyway thats just my thoughts but thats a damn good lookin guitar
I haven't played that Samick, but it looks like a great deal! Based on specifications alone, I would recommend it over the Washburn D10S or any guitar from the Martin X series. Guitars from the Martin X series do sound really great, though, so don't count them out. I'm not a big fan of them because they are made out of HPL. HPL is basically a combination of sawdust and glue that Martin heats and compresses into a thick grey substance and then presses and bakes into sheets. Then they take that sheet of mess and slap what is basically a sticker that looks like wood on top. I'm just not really a fan of the material, basically. Don't get me wrong, though, for tone, they are among the best guitars in their price range.

Like I said, I haven't played that Samick model, so I can't really speak on it. I have played many Washburn D10S guitars, and have never been even slightly impressed with any of them. I would definitely recommend that you check out the Epiphone Masterbilt line of guitars, though. They are also in your price range and are also solid wood. These guitars are exceptional values, imo.
Yeah see thats where I'm kind of getting held up on the decision here.
Because it is common knowledge that Samick has been building like 20-30 different guitar brands over the years. So if i get a cheaper line guitar like a seagul,washburn,taylor.epiphone. There is a good chance I'm buying a Samick anyway.
And like you guys, i see the specs on the guitar and it is built like a high end guitar would be.
But made by a cheap name. The only reason i even considered the Martin was from the reviews of durability. They say its like a tank. And being my first guitar I'm sure i will take it everywhere with me.
And thats where i was a little scared about the Samick because one, it is a beautiful guitar
two it is solid wood so isn't going to withstand the sun and humidity like the HPL crap will.
But at the same time it is only 500$ either guitar i go with so its not like i will have to baby it. I figured 500$ was a good max for a first. I don want something that doesn't stay in tune
and falls apart in a year or so. I keep stuff for a long time and want it to last so...
Thanks for you guys input...keep it coming!!!
seagull are not made by samick nor are taylor or martin.

if your primary concern is durability, get a hardcase.

if you expect that your guitar will often be in humid conditions, you can go up in price and get a composite acoustics or rainsong guitar. also laminate will do better than solid wood for humidity, although laminate or solid, wood swells and there's nothing to do about it except do something to dehumidify your house or guitar case. that's why composite acoustics and rainsong guitars are better, although they do have wood neckd.

if you're planning to leave your guitar in the sun a lot, you have 2 choices - get either a composite acoustic or rainsong guitar or else get an all-laminate guitar as laminate is often both stronger and more stable, although it doesn't sound as good. but no guitar will do well being left, for example, in the car in the sun. they will warp, crack and the glue will let go in places. there are limits to how much abuse anything wood will handle.

Quote by kmyers18
Yeah see thats where I'm kind of getting held up on the decision here.
Because it is common knowledge that Samick has been building like 20-30 different guitar brands over the years. So if i get a cheaper line guitar like a seagul,washburn,taylor.epiphone. There is a good chance I'm buying a Samick anyway.
And like you guys, i see the specs on the guitar and it is built like a high end guitar would be.
But made by a cheap name. The only reason i even considered the Martin was from the reviews of durability. They say its like a tank. And being my first guitar I'm sure i will take it everywhere with me.
And thats where i was a little scared about the Samick because one, it is a beautiful guitar
two it is solid wood so isn't going to withstand the sun and humidity like the HPL crap will.
But at the same time it is only 500$ either guitar i go with so its not like i will have to baby it. I figured 500$ was a good max for a first. I don want something that doesn't stay in tune
and falls apart in a year or so. I keep stuff for a long time and want it to last so...
Thanks for you guys input...keep it coming!!!
There are people on this forum that claim to have witnessed first hand many of the X series guitars from Martin actually delaminating and falling apart from humidity exposure. I would be wary of claims that these guitars withstand the sun and humidity better than solid wood. It seems they actually withstand it much worse.

The whole deal with solid wood being so susceptible to humidity and such is a little overplayed around here imo. I've owned several all solid wood guitars and have had no problems with any of them. They only guitar I have ever had crack was an old Takamine solid cedar top guitar that I have. The only reason the top of it has a couple cracks is because it basically lived in my truck for 2 years. It still plays and sounds great. If you take reasonably good care of your guitars, they will be fine.
Well from the research that i have done about Samick. Is that they make alot of guitars for a ton of different makers. Mostly higher end names that want a more affordable model to offer. And not all Martin guitars are made in the USA. Not sure about Seagull, Don't know much about them.
Samick seems to have a good line with this solid wood Greg Bennett design. And they have a good warranty to.
No one seems to know much about these models so...Thats what keeps me wondering. I also think the whole humidity thing is a lil played up also but at the same time i don't want to have to really baby my guitar.
I'm not real tough on things really so I'm sure it will be fine.
seagull, who is owned by godin, is made in canada.

i've seen guitars develop bulging bellies, have the bridges come off and break apart from humidity or crack from dryness. it isn't played up at all, although there are lots of places where dryness - not humidity - is a problem. i live in los angeles, and it's usually the right humidity, but we do keep track of the humidity so that if it gets to dry, we're on it.

Quote by kmyers18
Well from the research that i have done about Samick. Is that they make alot of guitars for a ton of different makers. Mostly higher end names that want a more affordable model to offer. And not all Martin guitars are made in the USA. Not sure about Seagull, Don't know much about them.
Samick seems to have a good line with this solid wood Greg Bennett design. And they have a good warranty to.
No one seems to know much about these models so...Thats what keeps me wondering. I also think the whole humidity thing is a lil played up also but at the same time i don't want to have to really baby my guitar.
I'm not real tough on things really so I'm sure it will be fine.
My local shop deals in Greg Bennett and I have nothing bad to say about them. Their electrics are really nice for the price but unfortunately I'm not too familiar with their acoustics. I've only tried their lower end models when I was looking for a $150 beater. They weren't too bad compared to the other guitars in their price range. I'd recommend asking the salesman at the store to try each guitar out and getting the one that sounds best to you. Greg Bennetts do have a pretty good warranty.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Yeah like i said I'm not a guitar player yet....so it is hard for me to pick one by sound vs sound. Other than that i always ask the sales guy to play on them. And i hold it pluck a couple chords and look it over real good and then go off what the sales guy tells me about the guitar.
I used the link and the dealer by me is a seagull dealer also. But i don't remember seeing any in there at all. I will ask if they have a S6. People rave about it. And it is less than my max budget so i could save a couple bucks also.
The Samicks seems to be the better built out of all the choices i have been looking at. And the warranty is good too so...
The Samick is probably the best looking out of the bunch also. And the salesman is giving me a smoking deal on it. I found one online dealer that said they could beat anyones price and they couldn't beat my deal so i guess I'm getting a pretty good deal?
But now all this thread has done is add one more guitar to my list of choices...LOL

I do appreciate the advice and can keep it coming.
i found that as i played more guitars, what sounded good to me changed - especially as i played more expensive guitars. when i started out years ago, most guitars sounded pretty good to me. experience gave me more to compare to, i guess, and helped me define my taste in guitar.

Quote by obeythepenguin
Well, picking one by sound is pretty easy -- if you like the sound, you like the sound
Yeah i have never been one to really worry to much about the money (with in reason) But i do like to feel like i got a good deal. From the research of high end guitars. I have found that most are solid wood,top,sides,back etc. And a bone nut and saddle. Grover tuners things like that. The Samick has all that so... I can save a hundred here or there but at the end of the day are those features deal breakers. Like say save a hundred and get a guitar that has a plastic nut,saddle. Or cheap tuners etc.
Yeah hell i will go get the Samick...screw it. Its 500$ if it last me 5 years i got my money of it right? Im sure it will be fine. Just trying to get the best guitar i can get for 500$
It looks sweet and feels good has a good warranty and good build features. If it falls apart on me i will send it in to get fixed and buy a new one in the mean time. When i get it back ill sell it ;-) Im pretty sure it is a good guitar.
Well i was just given a Squire SA-100 Seems like this will be my camping/beach beater. Not bad for free huh?
Wonder if it will be worth having the action lowered or just leave it and play it?
Fist of all. Stop double posting. You have done that twice so far in the same thread.

As far as the whole $500 for 5 years being worth it, I think that almost any guitar you get should last you a lifetime. There are people who have had their guitar for 30 years. Yeah its got some scratches and blemishes, but it still plays and sounds better than when they got it. Any guitar, if treated well, should last a very long time.
Oh sorry I didn't know there were double posting police. Last time I checked it was a free public forum.

And I'm sure it will last a lifetime also. That was a worse case.
Quote by kmyers18
Oh sorry I didn't know there were double posting police. Last time I checked it was a free public forum.

And I'm sure it will last a lifetime also. That was a worse case.

Don't be sarcy, we're just following the rules yeno, and since your 30 and half of UG are teenagers, that should be easy for you to do. & There is such a thing as Editing, so if you wanna double post, Edit instead.
Yeah your right....just didn't think it was something to get upset about. Not that big of a deal.
I'll try to do better with my forum edicit.
Yeah I'm with you...didn't think the double post was all that but whatever.

The squier was givin to me by a friend. I was over there talking about guitars and he said...yeah I bought one to try and learn and my fingers hurt after like a half hour so I put it under my bed. It has about 45 min of play time on it,you can have it you want. So I was like hell its free so...
I'm going to put some new strings on it and have it as a beater. It doesn't have a ssingle blemish.
Brand new with a cheap bag some picks etc. I never knew he even bought it.
Mine now! Haha
No double/triple posting
- This means no posting multiple times in a row in a thread. Please use the 'edit post' button wherever possible.
Punishment: Excessive double posting may result in a warning.

[souce: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/announcement.php?f=11 ]

Sorry, I thought it was a global rule, not just for the pit. Most forums have it as a global standard.
go with the seagull, I so want one myself right now
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Chaos Nil
[souce: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/announcement.php?f=11 ]

Sorry, I thought it was a global rule, not just for the pit. Most forums have it as a global standard.

No big deal.... Its just i just post on forums and ask questions. And try to soak up all the info i can get.
I dont try to police the place...they Mods for all that.

As for the Seagull. I still havent got a chance to play/see one. From what i have read on it. It is a good guitar for about 100$ less than the Greg Bennett Im looking at.

But i still think the Greg Bennett is better built. But the Seagull may sound better so...
Im going to give them a look. I have slowed my buying process just a hair do to getting the Squier.
I have something to play now so i can take a little more time with my research.
Does the greg bennett have a SOLID top? If not don't bother.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Why not check out Epiphone Masterbilt? The lowest end one (and thats as far as looks go, not quality or anything like that) is ~$500.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Does the greg bennett have a SOLID top? If not don't bother.

The Greg Bennett is built by Samick and yes it is a ALL solid wood guitar. Top,sides and back.
It has some really good specs.
Here is a link for anyone who missed it.

http://www.gregbennettguitars.com/asdm.html

The Guitar is beautiful in person. Like the fit and finish work. Flawless as far as i could tell. And has a really sweet sound....
There only sold in private owned music stores so you cant go to Gutar center or Sam Ash to look at one you will have to use there dealor locater to find out if anyone around you sells them.
That does look like a nice guitar, if it plays good and you like it the most, get it.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Yeah Im pretty sure thats the route im going. Im going to give the Seagull a look also. But the Seagull (from what i have read) cant hold a candel to the Greg Bennett and build quality. But ''may'' sound better? Wont know till i see one.
as obeythepenguin says, seagulls are very well-built - it's one of the reason that all (not most) of the most experienced and knowledgeable guitarists i know recommend the seagull s6 for an instrument in that price range.
Quote by kmyers18
Yeah Im pretty sure thats the route im going. Im going to give the Seagull a look also. But the Seagull (from what i have read) cant hold a candel to the Greg Bennett and build quality. But ''may'' sound better? Wont know till i see one.

Forget everything you've heard about the seagull and how it might not be as good, just play them both a good amount and make your decision based on what you hear/feel.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Oh i will go into it with an open mind for sure. Do you have personal exsperience with the Seagull?
I play one whenever I get the chance to go to GC, I plan on getting it as my first acoustic sometime before the end of this year. I've played one for a good amount of time and I really like it.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Yeah. The Original S6 sounds and feels fantastic. It feels VERY solid too.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
I was doing a little playing with the [Seagull] entourage one and the spacing is pretty nice. Not as wide as the original S6 but it is wider than most nuts. Its kinda a nice tradeoff IMO. They sound nice and deep. Probably not what you want for a few styles but I like the warmness personally. You would probably want a more twangy guitar for some stuff.

I also had a go at a cheap $200 Ovation. It didn't sound too bad IMO. Seagull beats it but for $200 I think I would possibly recommend it to someone. Its rather streamlined (compact) and probably could withstand a small beating due to the materials. Acoustic-electric BTW. Didn't test out the electronics, it was just a "see how it feels." I'll check the sound again next time I go there for ya if you want.
The thing i dont like about the Seagull is the cedar top. Not a big fan of the sound the cedar produces.
Im more into country music so it just dooesnt have that country sound to it.