Page 1 of 2
Well, in a few months we will have reached 2010, a new decade. This current one is the decade most people on here probably grew up in, or those born in the late eighties and early nineties. Ten years. We all have impressions on the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and their lasting cultural impacts. What do you think they will say ten years from now about this decade? What will be its legacy? Does it feel like it just started? It sure doesn't seem like a decade to me, maybe because I'm still discovering things about the older ones. It takes years to really make a solid opinion on something of the past, I'm sure alot of history buffs know what i mean.

I've been racking my brain the last half hour on my experiences this decade, all my 1st times, rite of passages, places I've gone, people I've known, events, changes, culture, my views, growing up, etc.

So what does this decade mean to you?

in case you need a reminder, i know i do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21st_century
Last edited by TSmitty6 at Aug 4, 2009,
Best decade since... ever?

edit: I may retract this statement after further consideration. It's definitely not the worst though.

doubleedit: I thought this thread was just about music for some reason.
It's definitely been the best decade in history. It's hardly debatable...
Last edited by charliezard! at Aug 4, 2009,
I think so many world-changing things have happened in the past ten years, perhaps more rapidly than any other decade preceeding. Developments in technology are a prime example, because I remember thinking it would be so cool to have something in the palm of your hand from which you could play games, listen to music and watch TV. Now that's a reality.

Issues like terrorism and global warming have come up to create a new (for lack of a better term) climate in our society... I feel viewpoints in general have definitely been impacted by such things. So much in ten years, it's kind of mind-blowing to think this decade is almost over.
It was about as exciting as the first decade of the 20th century. Nothing happened.

You may think things are a big deal now, but in 60 years, people won't remember anything that happened. Including 9/11.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 4, 2009,
21st Century: Some shit went down.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Probably the first black president, or something along the lines of that.

I hope Pokemon Games from this decade+late 90's are remembered though. I'm pretty sure that HD tv was invented this decade, so I guess that might, but video game development has been awesome too.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
Last edited by splamron at Aug 4, 2009,
21st century so far: Planes crashed, hurricanes flooded, America spent $11 trillion on Israeli hookers, pigs became one of the most feared animals on the planet, a good 'ole Texas boy with no high school education became president, a black man became president.
I'm an extreme supporter of the Second Amendment

It's a man's obligation to stick his boneration in a women's separation; this sort of penetration will increase the population of the younger generation.
Are you guys kidding? This decade has done so much. The internet, for one, has expanded sooo much. Technological advancements have been insane, first black president, 911, and so much more... The world feels so much more connected than it ever has, and this is especially due to the internet's wide use. You may not realize it, but this decade has changed the world a lot.
The explosion of the internet
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by charliezard!
Are you guys kidding? This decade has done so much. The internet, for one, has expanded sooo much. Technological advancements have been insane, first black president, 911, and so much more...

What year did WWI start? Do you know off the top of your head? Unlikely. WWI was a way bigger deal than anything you named.
Quote by StewieSwan
What year did WWI start? Do you know off the top of your head? Unlikely. WWI was a way bigger deal than anything you named.

a) 1914

b) Remembering dates has nothing to do with it. This decade has been hugely important. WWI was pretty stupid anyway.
^ 1914, and you don't need a war for a decade to be remembered.

I can't really say what this decade will be remembered for though. I'd say something technology related but with the way things are going, the next few decades look to have even more rapid advancement.
2000-2009 have sucked donkey balls in my opinion.
Quote by xMetalGodx
I'm not quite sure if you were trying to be funny or if you have a learning disability, either way, I was not amused.

He is not amused.
Quote by abdulalhazred
you are the best 09er EVER! i am sending you a friend request as soon as i send this

Quote by Snake_42
^ 1914, and you don't need a war for a decade to be remembered.

I can't really say what this decade will be remembered for though. I'd say something technology related but with the way things are going, the next few decades look to have even more rapid advancement.

The point is most people don't know balls about WWI and it was a huge deal at the time. It was the 'war to end all wars'. Society's memory is short and most of the things people named ITT will be forgotten in a few decades.

Edit: Read this and think about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_during_World_War_II#Electronics.2C_communications_and_intelligence
V
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by StewieSwan

Now this is debatable.
Sort of.

But
Internet>WWII

IMO By a long shot.
WWII,from my little knowledge,was definitely a pivotal point in history,but thats all it could ever be,history,as it wasn't an advancement or progression,but rather a standstill in time. Sure,an evil guy killed 100s of millions people,almost took over the world,and our dear little America became the super power it is today. OKAY...But,I have WWII saved on my hardrive. Downloaded it from youtube. Just sayin'...

-raises flame shield-
I have a feeling that the 21st century will almost always be equated with Sept. 11 when people think of it in the future. Not because it's necessarily the most important event, but because it's so iconic.
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by StewieSwan
The point is most people don't know balls about WWI and it was a huge deal at the time. It was the 'war to end all wars'. Society's memory is short and most of the things people named ITT will be forgotten in a few decades.

Well fair enough. That's kind of what I was getting at with the technology thing. The stuff we can think of now will most likely be completely overshadowed by future decades leaving '00-'09 to be remembered for something else entirely.
Quote by Sami Philadelph
Now this is debatable.
Sort of.

But
Internet>WWII

IMO By a long shot.
WWII,from my little knowledge,was definitely a pivotal point in history,but thats all it could ever be,history,as it wasn't an advancement or progression,but rather a standstill in time. Sure,an evil guy killed 100s of millions people,almost took over the world,and our dear little America became the super power it is today. OKAY...But,I have WWII saved on my hardrive. Downloaded it from youtube. Just sayin'...

-raises flame shield-

I wouldn't break it down to that simple statement: Internet>WWII, but I agree with you. I completely get what you mean. WWI happened and then it was done. The internet is an an invention on the same level as the airplane and automobile.

I think for the U.S. it's been a huge decade. First black president, the longest war in U.S history (or at least I think it is). September 11th for sure. I also think years from now (if not already) that many historians will look at this time period as the time that America really stopped being a superpower and the end of Americans thinking that they're above economic depression etc.

Globally: Iraq Iran North Korea have all made huge impacts.

Most peoples memories do fade really quickly though so I guess we'll see.

I wonder if Michael Jacksons death will be remembered like Elvis'
Quote by brandonian
you nose started bleeding, so the first thing you do is post it on UG? i don't understand the reasoning behind that one my friend

Quote by unplugtheradio
screw grammar i practice economic typing.
Quote by Sami Philadelph
Now this is debatable.
Sort of.

But
Internet>WWII

IMO By a long shot.

-raises flame shield-

Your post is wrong in so many ways.
george bush? lady gaga? economic recession?........
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by denfilade
Lol why Lady Gaga?

i put it to you...why not?
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
Quote by StewieSwan

Edit: Read this and think about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_during_World_War_II#Electronics.2C_communications_and_intelligence
V

Obviously the average person wont know the details of things like 9/11 and the Iraq war, but they will know they happened around this time, and the basic outline of what happened, similar to what most people know about WWI now.
I'm here to help

Quote by Jimbleton
ok, as usual pit is being very unhelpful except andychalmers, so im gonna go post this someplace else

And a master of storytelling...

Quote by Jackolas
andychalmers102, that story is awesome.
WW1 was the ABSOLUTE **** at that time and now we´re all like, meh not that lulz... But that is what other people will say about 2000-2009(10) with the 9/11 and iraq, because they then have like this other stuff thats for them waaay more important then this little terrorist fight here wich we think is awesome and the most historical thing ever
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by denfilade
Touché

But that still means none of us has a point.

well i stand by my original statement, think the whole hermaphrodidic side to it, makes it more plausible that she be included in this
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
I like you.

Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
This century will contain the most human endeavour seen as of yet, but that's stating the obvious. September 11th, black president, the century of the guerilla. Cures have been discovered and countries still tear themselves apart, and they plan to put a man on Mars by 2035.

I'm not sure if living this decade will be a good or a bad thing.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I will hold the events of 2004 dear to my heart forever. It was the decade in which I curled my best apres Doner turd ever in the bowl. It took half an hour and stayed together the whole time. It's also the time I realised Devon sucked.
Some of the WORST memories ever, some of the best. Like every other decade.

Some of the BEST music ever...most was just sh*t

Basically, the 00's...sucked.
Since i grew up in the nineties and (this decade) i can safely say that every decade coming will be better than the previous one IF nuclear war,recession, corruption etc don't happen.

Less Poverty, more Vaccines, more technology and just general advances in intelligence.
wow, surprised nobody mentioned st.anger.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
FUUUUUUUU_
i was gna do a thread on this closer to new year

i think its a infamous decade with the war on terror 9/11 and what not and also the colapse of the econamy i guess people always remember the bad points and never the good =/
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote by noob888
I love you for that thread...

Quote by MightyAl
I am now mentally scarred by the image of Peter Crouch getting penalised.
Reading that wikipedia page, it seems to me that this decade has pretty much been crap.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
It's been a crappy decade ever since the New Years "bug" of 2000 didn't occur! Other than that, music has sucked since the mid 90s, movies are old rehashed ideas and remakes, and tv shows are nothing but repeated reality ideas. BTW, internet was huge in the 90s too, anyone remember the bubble bursting on the internet boom?! to anyone born in the early 80s!
E-Father to itorch, Andrea55, guitarxo and BlessedRebel15
E-Grandpa to Basti95, davrockist, KitKat555, Mark Roxx, Renegade_Lobo
E-Bro to slash_GNR666
I blog...

Quote by Andrea55

Page 1 of 2