Page 1 of 2
I'm trying to think of famous guitarist who while picking they anchore.

I think Alexi Lahio does that.

For those who don't know what anchoring is here it is: when strumming or picking, keeping your little finger on the body of the guitar.

Sorry for my bad english its not my first language.
Last edited by ibrahimasood at Aug 4, 2009,
I've seen Chris shifflet do it
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
like a million, and practically no one floats

are you trying to prove a point? i'm just curious, not trying to just randomly argue. I mean I guess a list of famous guitarists that anchor would be useful in general, but if this is supposed to point toward something, I don't think there's much of a point haha. It's been said tons of times, and it's in the sticky: just because someone is famous, or even one of the fastest guitarists in the world, doesn't mean per se that anchoring is good.

Really fast people that anchor? Michael angelo batio, Tiago della vega, Petrucci
Faster people that don't? Marcus Paus, Theodore Ziras, José del Rio
People who are about as fast but make better music and don't anchor: Marty Friedman, Shawn Lane, Paul Gilbert, Me lol

This guy seems like he might be anchoring just a little bit. He might have the record for fastest tremolo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Wbb8r8PUs

There's is also George Benson. I love his music, he is famous, and he anchors, and he's pretty fast, too. I wouldn't bitch about his anchoring just because of the structure of his hands and how he does it, but you're not George Benson lol

Do what is best for you, which is to not anchor lol. There's a good chance that anchoring will injure you, and even if it doesn't, you're just taking a short cut. People anchor to have more stability, but you're cheating. The right way to develop stability is to develop better technique and exercise your stabilizer muscles (ahhh... haha). Anchoring should be your last resort; not your first.

The only excuse I can imagine for anchoring is if you can already play over 300 bpm, and you're playing something at let's say 180 sextuplets, and you want to throw in some 32nd notes tremolo or whatever. In that case anchoring might give you that little extra stability for a short phrase, but you would still be better off working on better technique.
Technically anchoring is good technique and many people teach it that way. Saying anchoring is cheating is just ignorant.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
Technically anchoring is good technique and many people teach it that way. Saying anchoring is cheating is just ignorant.

Bollocks,

Anchoring is BAD - fact.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by funkbass369

its a crutch, so you know where your hand is in relation to the strings, its NOT good technique.
I'd get a new teacher.

Also, to the guy who said 'players not as fast who don't anchor' and then cited Paul Gilbert - if we're talking picking hand i think you'll find Paul Gilbert has a much faster picking technique than Satriani, who uses a lot of legato. So did Lane.
Last edited by Ikonoklast at Aug 4, 2009,
I wasn't very clear on that list lol
I was saying that Lane, Gilbert, and Friedman make better music than Marcus Paus, Theodore Ziras, José del Rio.

I called it cheating because it is the last thing you should be doing. There is a correct way to improve at everything on guitar. Anchoring a little bit might help in an extreme situation, but I would never encourage someone to anchor before becoming as good of a guitarist as they possibly can without it. I wouldn't even encourage someone to rest their arm on the guitar, again I think it is avoiding the problem. There are things that could help you a little bit for certain, and things that will actually make you better.

Anchoring is like bowling with bumpers haha Once you're good enough, there's really no point to either. That analogy alone doesn't make anchoring on guitar incorrect (so what if it like bumper bowling? the point is to be more accurate) but it is funny... i think
Last edited by eddievanzant at Aug 4, 2009,
Lets not make this another anchoring debate....if you do it and don't have any pain then fine, if you don't then great.....EVERYONE PLAYS DIFFERENTLY....he just asked which guitarist do.
Quote by eddievanzant
...I wouldn't even encourage someone to rest their arm on the guitar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X50NM4YuNus

Why would you tell someone not to rest their arm on the guitar? Its part of playing properly

Yngwie Malmsteen anchors at times, and whoever said Kirk Hammett needs to give his head a shake
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Last edited by Metalfan41 at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by eddievanzant
People who are about as fast...
Quote by eddievanzant
...Shawn Lane

And yeah I pretty much disagree with most of what you said and I'm against anchoring. Maybe I'll explain in a sec
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Last edited by ramm_ty at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by drawnacrol
Its not cheating....thats a retarded statement,its like saying using your fretting hand pinky is cheating

The problem with anchoring is that it can lead to repetitive strain injury and some permanent damaging to your picking hand, you have to force yourself out of the habit

That's really not even vaguely similar.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Anchoring is bad - it's been connected to CTS and repetetive strain injury. It's like using training wheels to ride the Tour de France. It can be done, but there are better ways to go about it.
I'll tell it to anyone who anchors. It's bad. It creates unnecessary tension; an hour of practice can fix anchoring habits and it gets rid of tension. The truth is, even if it isn't necessarily a cause of CTS or repetitive movement strain, you're still adding tension that slows you down for no good reason. And Paul Gilbert is a much more skilled player then Billy Gibbons - PG doesn't anchor.
Quote by Metalfan41

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X50NM4YuNus

Why would you tell someone not to rest their arm on the guitar? Its part of playing properly

Yngwie Malmsteen anchors at times, and whoever said Kirk Hammett needs to give his head a shake

I should be more specific
You shouldn't 'need' to touch the guitar at all. The more you touch, the better you play, in general, but you should be able to play with decent speed and accuracy without even resting your arm on your guitar.

Touching the guitar at all is a form of anchoring. I officially declare that their are three degrees of anchoring lol
(1) Resting your arm on the guitar is completely acceptable to everyone, (2) resting your wrist near the bridge is also acceptable, and (3) resting fingers on the other side of the strings is generally discouraged, and this is the only one that is actually called anchoring by everyone.

Basically, the more you anchor, the more friction you use, this can increase stability, and therefore speed, but this friction also increases the risk of injury, and decreases your range of motion (this depends on how you anchor. george benson can play over every string without moving his hand at all)

I can play fairly accurately and fast without touching the guitar at all. When I'm practicing I don't rest my arm at all. When I'm trying to play fast, I increase my degree of anchoring.

I'm not saying you have to ever pick without touching the guitar, but personally, I get better much quicker by not anchoring at all.

tl:dr You get better faster if you practice without resting your arm or wrist at all.
Quote by steve108819
Tell that to Billy Gibbons

Does Billy Gibbons shred?

...No...He doesn't.

EDIT: Eddievanzant, in your list of possible 'anchors,' the second one you listed is also strongly discouraged and, in fact, bad technique. "Resting" your arm on the guitar is also bad technique. IMO, you shouldn't rest any part of your body on the guitar. Brushing against it, however, is a different story.

EDIT 2: Hate to be a grammar nazi here, but TS, it's spelled 'anchor.'

Figured I'd point that out...
Last edited by The.new.guy at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by The.new.guy
EDIT: Eddievanzant, in your list of possible 'anchors,' the second one you listed is also strongly discouraged and, in fact, bad technique. "Resting" your arm on the guitar is also bad technique. IMO, you shouldn't rest any part of your body on the guitar. Brushing against it, however, is a different story.

I don't know any guitarists who don't set their wrist on or around the bridge while playing. If you don't the mucles in your arm will make your elbow move with it.

Putting all the weight of your arm on the guitar is bad yes, but it should be lightly resting on it, otherwise you will be putting more strain on yor shoulder to hold your arm out away from the guitar.
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
No, it shouldn't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 6, 2009,
I'm not saying anchoring is ok or its terrible. I don't really care.

However, I love all the people who play anchoring police who say it so absolutely terrible for people without citing any type of research or anything. Where do you get your information? Did you see someone else post it on the forums and just go around blindly repeating it? I'm not trying to flame. I don't anchor, and it wouldn't bother me if I did. I'm just curious. I've read Freepower's take on anchoring. He doesn't give any information either. Was he just taught that way, and so thats what he says? Like others have said here, they have been taught that anchoring is ok. And there are obviously a number of extremely skilled guitarists out there who actually make a living at playing guitar who anchor.

So, out of curiosity, who is the foremost authority that you all get this information from?
Quote by slayerfrk
how are you suppose to play guitar if you cant touch it? idiot.

Schecter Jeff Loomis Sig. Hardtail... FRIDAY
B.C. Rich KKV Signature :: Kerry King EMG W/Boost
Schecter S-1 Elite :: SD Distortion Mayhem Set
Agile AL2500 Goth :: SD Hot Rod set
TTM Customshop USA Devastator :: Rusty nails W/shoelace
Guthrie Govan is a great example of a guitarist having a flawless technique that encourage anchoring.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by eddievanzant
I wouldn't even encourage someone to rest their arm on the guitar

Umm...I think that's taking it a bit too far.
I can't imagine anything more awkward feeling than not resting your arm the guitar.
Quote by SteveHouse
This thread is officially about sucking Sleaze off for a sig.

Quote by tayroar
Hey Sleaze I'll give you a blowjob if you sig me. Maybe even some nudey photos?

Quote by crazy8rgood

Sleaze, that made me lulz in my pants.

Quote by 36mikeyb36
hahaha Sleaze i'd give you my mom for that one.
Then Govan is in the minority. He could be an even better player (smoother, faster, more accurate) then he already is just by not anchoring.

Quote by eddievanzant
(1) Resting your arm on the guitar is completely acceptable to everyone, (2) resting your wrist near the bridge is also acceptable, and (3) resting fingers on the other side of the strings is generally discouraged, and this is the only one that is actually called anchoring by everyone.

In all technicality, unless you're doing a lot of 5+ string sweeps or playing a lot of full chords, then resting your arm on the body o fthe guitar should be fine - all of your picking ought to come from the wrist - what your elbow is doing shouldn't have any effect on your wrist if at all.
Quote by eddievanzant

Basically, the more you anchor, the more friction you use, this can increase stability, and therefore speed, but this friction also increases the risk of injury, and decreases your range of motion (this depends on how you anchor. george benson can play over every string without moving his hand at all)

How does increased friction result in an increase in speed?

Quote by The.new.guy

"Resting" your arm on the guitar is also bad technique. IMO, you shouldn't rest any part of your body on the guitar.

I rest my forearm on the guitar body pretty much all the time, mostly only near the bottom of my elbow but it's there most of the time none the less. After all, I only use my forearm for the most hardcore sweeps and string skips; the wrist and fingers do all the real work.

Quote by El Cumanés
Guthrie Govan is a great example of a guitarist having a flawless technique that encourage anchoring.

He encouraged resting your forearm, not anchoring your fingers etc to restrict wrist movement.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Last edited by Deep*Kick at Aug 6, 2009,
Resting your forearm on the guitar shouldn't be an issue if you have good picking technique. You are supposed to pick with your wrist. If you're picking with your wrist, your forearm resting on the guitar will make no difference because it's not moving at all. It's not an anchor. The issue is different with your wrist, because your wrist IS doing the movement. If the part of your body that is doing the movement is anchored (wrist/fingers), you will DEFINITELY create extra friction, extra tension, etc. and therefore you will create problems. I don't know who brought up the forearm issue, but it's a non-issue. Anchoring your wrist WILL create problems and lost energy/speed. It's a fact.

Think about it in another scenario. Say you have 2 cars. They're both identical, but one has an engine where the moving parts have extra friction (the cause isn't important, just the fact that they have the friction). The other car has a negligible amount (basically zero) of friction in the engine. Which car will perform better? I think the answer is self-evident.

(for those of you that are slow, it's the car has no friction)

The same principles apply with the guitar. A system that loses energy at a (relatively) fast rate cannot hope to be as efficient as another system with significantly less friction.
shredders, i feel sorry for you
Originally Posted by Twist of fate
I thought the "clean" button was to clean out the inside of the amp automatically, so I never pressed it.

Originally Posted by DjBrandenburg
pedals are stupid
Quote by Regensliebte
shredders, i feel sorry for you

I feel bad for us. I don't get why people have to question whether a bad technique is bad because someone famous does it.
Like I have said numerous times on the subject.....if you anchor and can play at a speed you are happy with and don't feel any pain when playing then just continue to do what you do....anchor.

No 2 people play the same way so if you don't anchor great, if you do, great.

I can pick both ways and I have never felt any pain from anchoring. So I will continue to anchor when I want despite what everyone on here thinks is the best type of picking method.

Guitar is about doing what works best for you, so try a few methods of picking and see what works best for you.
Quote by srob7001
Like I have said numerous times on the subject.....if you anchor and can play at a speed you are happy with and don't feel any pain when playing then just continue to do what you do....anchor.

No 2 people play the same way so if you don't anchor great, if you do, great.

I can pick both ways and I have never felt any pain from anchoring. So I will continue to anchor when I want despite what everyone on here thinks is the best type of picking method.

Guitar is about doing what works best for you, so try a few methods of picking and see what works best for you.

Because if you can anchor and not hurt now, who cares if you get carpal tunnel in 20 years?

Page 1 of 2