First off let me say this, if you are in an online band and you are dedicated and doing your part, then this post is not about you.

Now for the rest of you, when people post asking for people to join there online band, they are serious. That also means that they want their band members to be serious as well. That means you are going to have to make a real commitment, you are going to have to put some real time and effort into it. You don't just say that you will join their online band, and then you don't do anything or stay in contact with them or do what is asked. I have an online band, but I take it seriously, it may be online, but to me it is just as real as any physical band in the physical world, as I am sure it is the same for many others on here that has started online bands.

You need to do your part, you need to stay in contact with your other online band members. We all rely on each other to get the most out of the band, and that is to express ourselves through music, by putting out the best songs we possibly can, whether they be covers or original material. That means work for everyone, and everyone MUST do their part! You don't have to be online everyday, but you should stay in close contact with each other.

If you are not serious, and you are not willing to do your part and put in the necessary time and skill to the project, then DON'T ANSWER the post and DON'T JOIN the online band. We only want serious, dedicated people, not people who say they will do it and then do nothing. When you don't do your part, you not only hurt the other band members, but you also hurt your self, and if you don't understand that, stop and think about it for a long while. You will eventually understand it.

We'll, I've said my part!
I see online bands as being the same as real bands (like physically meeting bands), some people join bands and never show up for practice, or dont contribute when there, it happens. its up to you if your serious to say this person isnt working out and tell them to shove off.
it can be tougher online as you cant meet people face to face to gauge their commitment, but if someone isnt putting the work in just drop them.
Quote by stephen_rettie
I see online bands as being the same as real bands (like physically meeting bands), some people join bands and never show up for practice, or dont contribute when there, it happens. its up to you if your serious to say this person isnt working out and tell them to shove off.
it can be tougher online as you cant meet people face to face to gauge their commitment, but if someone isnt putting the work in just drop them.

I agree, if they aren't working, we should "show them the door" and get rid of them.

The thing that really irks me, is they say they'll join your band, then they never produce their parts, then they give you excuses of why they didn't do it. But then you see them posting in another thread offering to join another person's online band, granted that band will most likely find out the hard way like you did, that these people are all talk and no work, it just irks me that they do this.
I've pretty much given up on online bands, im happier just doing everything myself. Once I get EZdrummer working i wont really need anyone else unless i decide i want vocals.
People think, "Oh it's just an online band, so if I don't like doing it or I don't want to do it, I don't have to let anyone know", well that is bull. We put our hearts and soul into this, and we would like to have enough respect from people to have them tell us they don't want to do it or they can't do it!

We should start a WARNING thread in here, listing all of the people who said they wanted to join an online band, and then when they were accepted, they didn't do their parts. We could list them, put the reason(s) why they didn't do their parts (if any reason was given), then other people who are looking for members could read it and judge for themselves if selecting these people would be worth the risk.
Last edited by BigDC at Aug 4, 2009,
Quote by muckypup
There has been so many people like that in my online band i can't even remember them all. I used to have about 36 members in the band, now its down to 8, and out of those 8 members, three of them do anything, and I am including myself in that.

Yeah, it sucks when people don't do their parts. It sounds like you had a lot of them!
I'm too much of a control freak to do the online band thing. Unless it's like mercenary, providing a specific thing involvement.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
My online band has switched a vocalist which was on line once a month and a guitarist who had poor record equipment.

Now we have five serious members.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Sami Philadelph
Amen.
Hopefully our lucks will change.

It will, as long as we make each other aware of of the people who make promisses to do something and then they don't do it. That way we keep each other informed and we can make good decisions when choosing band members.
Quote by sfaune92
My online band has switched a vocalist which was on line once a month and a guitarist who had poor record equipment.

Now we have five serious members.

Glad to hear you got serious members now!
Quote by muckypup
So, BigDC, whats your online band called? I would like to hear it.

The online band is called BrandyWine. We don't have anything up yet, but we are recording some stuff now, and I am mixing some of the stuff already sent to me. I will let you know when we get something up!
I can sympathize with some people who join online bands but don't deliver because I can understand that unexpected complications may happen but it's easy to tell the slackers who come up with a poor excuse every time you ask them for some kind of material or the people who choose to remain in a communicative coma.
Quote by Piscasis
I can sympathize with some people who join online bands but don't deliver because I can understand that unexpected complications may happen but it's easy to tell the slackers who come up with a poor excuse every time you ask them for some kind of material or the people who choose to remain in a communicative coma.

In all honesty, you should not join any online band unless you can produce, that means you better know how to play and play fairly well. It just like joining any physical band in the physical world, they expect you to be able to play and play fairly well.

I understand if the online band does not have any material up yet, and you are not familiar with their style that they want (and yes they should have their own style their going for), but you should be able to work with the other members and to be able to produce your part.

What do you think would have happened if Tommy Thayer walked into the Kiss auditions and they asked him to play, and he didn't do anything and didn't play (or couldn't play)? Or if Brian Johnson walked into the AC/DC auditions and they asked him to sing, and he didn't do anything or didn't sing (or he couldn't sing)? That's right, they would have booted those guys out of there so fast, it would have made their heads spin! Now I realize most online bands are not on those levels of those bands, but the principle is the EXACT SAME THING!

I asked one of my guitarists to create me a riff, I gave him very specific instructions on what I wanted and how to do it. Well he didn't know exactly how, but he is dedicated, and he learned how, thus he created an awesome riff. Now that is someone who is dedicated!

I understand circumstances prevent you from doing your part, but you should contact your other band members (or band leader) and let them know. That way they can get someone else to do it. There is NO EXCUSE for not letting them know, NONE!

I expect ALL the members in my online band to be serious and to take it serious and be dedicated and work hard at it, I DO! But also as important, I expect them to HAVE FUN doing it!
Last edited by BigDC at Aug 5, 2009,
I would be serious about joining an online band as a rhythm guitarist but I dont know what I would need to record my playing properly.
My S**t

Dean Vendetta W/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
Peavey Vypyr 30
Planet Waves Custom Cable
Quote by AlexSimps0n
I would be serious about joining an online band as a rhythm guitarist but I dont know what I would need to record my playing properly.

The simplest way to record your playing to your computer is hooking either from your Amp (or effects pedal or guitar) directly to the line input jack on your computer using a cable similar to the one on this site: http://www.fullcompass.com/product/285945.html

You would also need some recording software as well, you can Audacity for FREE on their website at: http://audacity.sourceforge.net A lot of people on the forums here use it.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by BigDC at Aug 6, 2009,
I know about audacity but I dont think I have a jack on my PC that my guitar could go into. My uncle has a thing called Guitar Port, does that record direct input or just play it through speakers?
My S**t

Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by AlexSimps0n
I know about audacity but I dont think I have a jack on my PC that my guitar could go into. My uncle has a thing called Guitar Port, does that record direct input or just play it through speakers?

On the back of your computer, do you have any plug-in ports that look like this? If so, You want to use the one in the middle of the pic that says, Line-in jack.
I am buying a new computer next week so if it has that input then I will use it. I think I still might go with a Line 6 Guitar Port.
My S**t

Peavey Vypyr 30
What are those cables called in that link? I cant buy from there cos I live in england.
My S**t

Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by AlexSimps0n

There are good cheap sound cards if the method bigDC told about don't work that well.
Guitar Rig Mobile costs $100. And Stealth pedal costs less than $200 i think. But there are others.
There are a lot of free amp modeling programs. Acmebargig's software comes first to mind. But there are a lot of others.
And Audacity's an ok program, but it is not good. There are a lot of programs which costs a little, but not much. Reaper, Mixcraft etc.

Hope I was hopeful

- Stian
Quote by sfaune92
There are good cheap sound cards if the method bigDC told about don't work that well.
Guitar Rig Mobile costs $100. And Stealth pedal costs less than $200 i think. But there are others.
There are a lot of free amp modeling programs. Acmebargig's software comes first to mind. But there are a lot of others.
And Audacity's an ok program, but it is not good. There are a lot of programs which costs a little, but not much. Reaper, Mixcraft etc.

Hope I was hopeful

- Stian

You can get Reaper for only $60 USD (non commercial license).
Quote by muckypup
You can get reaper for nothing if you don't want to pay for the license, just by using the trial version, which is basically the full version.

Doesn' the trial version expire after 30 days?
No, but it's illegal to use it for more than 30 days i think

edit:
This was the question i answered:

Quote by BigDC
Doesn' the trial version expire after 30 days?
Last edited by sfaune92 at Aug 10, 2009,
To: Thread Starter

True, but you have to be patient, a guitarist needs time to get a solo or a lead perfectly, it may take time to get it all recorded 100% too. And there might be something slowing it down. like school for instance.

My online band is running slow at the moment too, because of that. so i set NO deadlines. If they got a solid reasson, its OK.

Audacity seems to ruin the sound IMO.

BTW, we need a drummer and a vocalist, since we start with an instrumental, drummers is mostly needed now, Our style is melodic and not death/thrash/black/doom/... still trying ot find our style. Your ideas will be appriciated.

Our influences will be power metal, but we wont be 200+ bpm-ish speedy. and Iron Naiden, dream theather,...

(PM me to apply)
Last edited by GisleAune at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by GisleAune
Audacity seems to ruin the sound IMO.
Then what do you recommend? I've never really been happy with audacity, but I don't know of a better alternative.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia